AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 102 Old 03-14-13, 11:01 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I wonder if the depth of the cabinet is what allows them to dig that deep. I am speaker design illiterate, but no kidding aside, there were several towers that were not doing as well in the low end as this guy was.
Hi Joe,

The cabinet depth only contributes to the overall enclosed volume, which does indeed contribute to how deep a (passive) speaker will play. The tradeoff is always sensitivity, size and deep bass, so a larger cabinet is required for the other two. Regarding "proportion", keep in mind you are seeing it (3D) in person, Jim in photos. Perhaps lost is the scale, that these are fairly large (for "bookshelfs") at 22" H x 9" W (x 15" D). If they were 12-14" H, then yes, they would be proportioned fairly "skinny".
They are also sealed, which is not the usual, so they roll off in the low end much slower than a vented design. In real rooms, with relatively stiff walls, like a hotel room, there tends to be significant gain at low frequencies, which coupled with the slow roll off at LF, tends to give them (sealed speakers) the perception of the deeper bass being present.
Styling is obviously as subjective as "sound" (and a heavy contributor!), but these adhere to a strict form follows function philosophy, hence the rather large horn. All of these elements (and more), are why they sound exactly the way they do, room to room, with nary a "treatment" in sight.

cheers,

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 03-14-13, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
Hi Joe,

The cabinet depth only contributes to the overall enclosed volume, which does indeed contribute to how deep a (passive) speaker will play. The tradeoff is always sensitivity, size and deep bass, so a larger cabinet is required for the other two. Regarding "proportion", keep in mind you are seeing it (3D) in person, Jim in photos. Perhaps lost is the scale, that these are fairly large (for "bookshelfs") at 22" H x 9" W (x 15" D). If they were 12-14" H, then yes, they would be proportioned fairly "skinny".
They are also sealed, which is not the usual, so they roll off in the low end much slower than a vented design. In real rooms, with relatively stiff walls, like a hotel room, there tends to be significant gain at low frequencies, which coupled with the slow roll off at LF, tends to give them (sealed speakers) the perception of the deeper bass being present.
Styling is obviously as subjective as "sound" (and a heavy contributor!), but these adhere to a strict form follows function philosophy, hence the rather large horn. All of these elements (and more), are why they sound exactly the way they do, room to room, with nary a "treatment" in sight.

cheers,

AJ
Thanks for the explanation AJ!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #63 of 102 Old 03-14-13, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

So, with that, I have posted all my thoughts and impressions through Saturday.

I will be starting on Sunday's impressions beginning tomorrow. However, I would like to start to collect everyone's thoughts on what you like in the process so far, what you think can be improved upon, and any suggestions on what you would like to see included in future show reviews. For those exhibitors following along, what types of information would you like to see provided through these reviews?

As this is my first experience doing this type of review, I want to make sure I am tailoring these to provide you all with the best possible information as well as improving my ability to perform them. Do not worry about offending me - I have thick skin. If you do not feel comfortable posting it, please feel free to PM me.

I will say - it may seem as if I liked everything! Truth be told, it was a great event and there were just a handful of setups that I thought did not perform well. It was quite a collection of amazing gear.

post #64 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 12:24 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks for the very in-depth reviews and pictures Joe! I'm glad you were able to visit Mark Seaton's room, I bet his system sounds better than those costing 10x as much.

We need to get you a press pass and send you to more of these events
post #65 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 12:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
My last stop on Saturday was in the Indy Audio Labs / Waterfall Audio room. A few photos:
Oh those are beautiful Thats is definitely my kind of look for a speaker.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #66 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
Thanks for the very in-depth reviews and pictures Joe! I'm glad you were able to visit Mark Seaton's room, I bet his system sounds better than those costing 10x as much.

We need to get you a press pass and send you to more of these events
It did as a matter of fact - definitely one of my best experiences of the weekend. And, I think I am going to go to LSAF - should be fun!

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Oh those are beautiful Thats is definitely my kind of look for a speaker.
I know, right?! While they of course would not fly in a dedicated HT, they are probably one of the most WAF friendly speakers you will find for other places in the house.

And, do not forget guys - let me know your thoughts on improving this review process!

post #67 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 01:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
And, do not forget guys - let me know your thoughts on improving this review process!
Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated thread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #68 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated tread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.
That is a great idea Tony - I will definitely use that one. Thanks!

post #69 of 102 Old 03-15-13, 11:13 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated thread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.
Quote:
That is a great idea Tony - I will definitely use that one. Thanks!
We can probably do this with this thread. I can remove all the comments to a discussion thread pretty easily. Add a link to the first post for the discussion thread. We can close this thread and Joe can continue to add his content. A couple of times on each page he can reference the discussion thread... as well as at the end of the thread when he is done.

EDIT: Done! This is now the discussion thread for the AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS
post #70 of 102 Old 03-17-13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread

If you have been following along, I have completed the official show reports.

Some of my final thoughts:

- There are a lot of expensive speakers out there. Does spending more on speakers make them better? In my opinion, no. Some of the best systems I heard this past weekend cost significantly less.

- Chicago was a prime target for an audio show. The last I saw, the final count on attendees was over 4,000 which is a great turnout for its first go. From some of the early reports I have read, there will be more exhibitors next year.

- One of my first speaker auditions was the Klipsch RF62s. I found them to be too forward for me personally, and it turned into thinking all horns would be the same. This past weekend changed that utterly - there were several horn driven speakers, and I was struck by just how smooth and relaxing the listening experience was. Now, if I can only commission Luther to build me a pair!

- Audio people really come from all walks of life - most of the people were ordinary joes (pun intended) just like me.

- I never got tired going from one room to the next and listening to the next system. Matter of fact, I never stopped for lunch any of the three days - I was just so enjoying the experience I could not stop to eat. If you ever have the opportunity, do yourself a favor and attend a show - and do not be afraid of going in to listen to a system you know you will never afford.

I have had a couple great suggestions for reporting on shows moving forward which I tried to incorporate in the final posts. That said, let me know what you like about the show report, and what you would like to see in future show reports.

Any questions, comments, or thoughts, fire away!