AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 102 Old 03-08-13, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread

March 8th - Hello from sunny Chicago!

My day started out very well - I was actually able to get on the road by 5:30 - shocking I know. And, it just continued to get better and better!

The Marketplace was the first area open - the first place I stopped at................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 03-08-13, 10:53 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
AXPONA 2013 Discussion and Comments Thread

Awesome Joe... I know you are having a grand utopia of a time.

Thanks very much for the coverage and I am looking forward to more great info.
post #3 of 102 Old 03-08-13, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Good stuff, keep it coming. We live vicariously through you.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~

post #4 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 01:43 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

I would be happy to review the Focal Grande Utopia if they were to send me a pair.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

post #5 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Awesome Joe... I know you are having a grand utopia of a time.

Thanks very much for the coverage and I am looking forward to more great info.
Quote:
Wardsweb wrote: View Post
Good stuff, keep it coming. We live vicariously through you.
Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
I would be happy to review the Focal Grande Utopia if they were to send me a pair.
Thank you gentlemen - it really was a great day! It is quite a different experience when every speaker you listen to sounds amazing and you really need to be nitpicky to attempt to decide which one you preferred.

Bill - I will see what I can work out for you.

post #6 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 06:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Sorry I missed you there ALM, I looked for the guy with the HTS shirts but did not see you at least not before they pulled the fire alarm. I have a good many photos if you find yourself in need.

Here was one of my favorite sounds at the show. Just stunning.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #7 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Sorry I missed you Jack! I spent the entire day (except for maybe the first hour) on the 9th floor - saw that setup you posted a picture to - what a unique speaker!

I am just now downloading today's picture and will be recommencing updates shortly.....

post #8 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 07:54 PM
Senior Shackster

I live in Illinois and I am going to the show tomorrow ... I feel like a kid going to Disney
post #9 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 07:59 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Fire alarm? Did some of those amps get so hot it caught one of the rooms on fire?
post #10 of 102 Old 03-09-13, 08:45 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Next up was the Legacy Audio / Morrow Cables room. I actually spent part of the first hour of Saturday in this room as well as I wanted to get a bit more listening time in on the Whispers.

There were two separate setups with 2 different speakers in each setup. Here are those configurations:

Setup Components MSRP
Setup 1 Legacy Aeris in Sapele Pommele finish $17,750
 Legacy Signature SE in Rosewood finish $6,450
 CODA CSX Amplifier $6,000
 CODA CP Pre-Amplifier $3,500
 Ayon CD 2S $6,350
 Speaker Cables SP7 Grand Reference $1,499 / pair
 Interconnects MA6 Grand Reference $899 / pair
Setup 2 Legacy Whisper XD in Ribbon Mahogany finish $21,500
 Legacy Focus SE in Black Pearl finish $9,650
 CODA CSX Amplifier $6,000
 CODA CP Pre-Amplifier $3,500
 OPPO BDP-105 $1,199
 Speaker Cables SP7 Grand Reference $1,499 / pair
 Interconnects MA6 Grand Reference $899 / pair

All four of these speaker use the new dual Air Motion tweeter which allows them to extend bandwidth and dynamics due to the premium grade Neodymium magnetics and Kapton diaphragms which are stable to 750 degrees farenheit. To construct the tweeter, a 16" square piece of Kapton is folded into a 4" long, 1" wide chamber. This tweeter is mounted on the same faceplate as the complementary 1" AMT ribbon super-tweeter to give more uniform dispersion which gives the treble more weight and natural fullness.

Here are a few pictures:

These are the Whisper and Signature speakers - notice the very unique design of the Whisper:

Here is a picture of the back of the Whisper. The open design of the back really allowed you to move around the room and not really lose the soundfield:

Another view of the Whisper and Signature:

The Aeris and Focus speakers:

Here is a side view of the Aeris. What the picture does not show is that the panel on the side is opaque and there is a low level green glow eminating from inside the speaker where you can see some of the inner components:

I did not get to hear the Whispers very much - what I was able to glean from the time I had was a very wide soundstage with little to no degradation off axis, excellent dynamic range, and excellent clarity and detail.

The Aeris speakers have a very unique design and a beautiful finish. These also had fantastic dynamic range - no doubt a function of the Air Motion tweeter - with very crisp, clear vocals. During one track, there was a bass guitar playing with vocals and I was still able to hear a triangle being struck plain as day. On a different track, you could actually hear the pluck of the pick against the guitar string! Still another track provided some horn action - no desire to cringe when they were played - just excellent detail and clarity. The low end was fantastic as well - extremely tight bass.

I actually had a marvelous opportunity to speak with Bill Dudleston himself. He showed me the XP-4080 DSP they were using to do all room EQ and the software that allowed you to tweak specific points and immeadiately save them. It allows up to 30 different configurations - very neat piece of equipment.

Please use the AXPONA 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.

I have always wanted to hear Legacy speakers... maybe one day I will get to.