LSAF 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 35 Old 05-06-13, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
LSAF 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread

LSAF 2013 Official Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

May 4th - Hello from Dallas / Fort Worth!

A few rooms were setting up and playing yesterday, but the big day is today. Sonnie and I met up and visited three rooms last night, and we will be going full tilt today! Later in the evening yesterday, we met up with Dennis (tesseract) and then went out to dinner...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 01:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: LSAF 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread

I am amazed how many of the displays are using tube amps. Makes me want to try a couple monoblocks on my 2ch system. But Alas, a person really needs to a fair bit to get anything decent.
As usual a great job on letting us see what you saw Joe

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I am amazed how many of the displays are using tube amps. Makes me want to try a couple monoblocks on my 2ch system. But Alas, a person really needs to a fair bit to get anything decent.
Tony - it seems most 2 channel setups I have seen actually use tube amps. Axpona was the same way. I am not an amp knowledgeable person, but I think the general concensus is that tubes provide cleaner, warmer sound.

There were a couple tube amps at LSAF that I thought were priced for someone starting out that sounded very good...

post #4 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 09:13 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Looks like a great time.... great photos and detail.... jealous!!!!!
post #5 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 10:19 PM
Shackster
Anis Y Jiwani

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
You do not have to dish out mega bucks to have a tube amp, there are many amps that are very reasonably priced and you can easily acquire them. Without spending too much money you could get one and see how you like it in your system.

I will more than happy to point you in the right direction if you can let me know a bit about your system and how much you want to spend.
post #6 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 10:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

So did anyone check out my cardboard pyramid speakers and battery powered preamp in the River City Audio Society room?

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #7 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I am looking at tube amps myself. I plan on picking up an OPPO BDP-105 to use as a preamp for a tube amp(s) powering a two channel setup.

The one thing I was not expecting at this show was to be wowed all that much by what I was hearing. Clearly I was wrong. There were a LOT of great sounding systems there that sounded awesome! I could have left with any number of them and been wowed.

Another thing I learned is that the passion for two channel audio is very VERY alive and well. I gained much more appreciation for just simply listening... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never thought I could really just sit for hours on end and do nothing but listen... but I did... and it was truly enlightening.

I am anxious and excited to try some various two channel setups.

The exhibitors and other folks attending were truly fabulous. It was a blessing to meet so many enthusiasts with a serious passion for great sound.

Of course it was a true pleasure to meet Joe and Dennis from HTS and spend some quality time with them.

Some of my favorite time was not only listening, but having dinner with everyone... a real treat to say the least.

I am looking forward to the next show.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-09-13, 11:12 PM
Shackster
Anis Y Jiwani

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am looking at tube amps myself. I plan on picking up an OPPO BDP-105 to use as a preamp for a tube amp(s) powering a two channel setup.

The one thing I was not expecting at this show was to be wowed all that much by what I was hearing. Clearly I was wrong. There were a LOT of great sounding systems there that sounded awesome! I could have left with any number of them and been wowed.

Another thing I learned is that the passion for two channel audio is very VERY alive and well. I gained much more appreciation for just simply listening... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never thought I could really just sit for hours on end and do nothing but listen... but I did... and it was truly enlightening.

I am anxious and excited to try some various two channel setups.

The exhibitors and other folks attending were truly fabulous. It was a blessing to meet so many enthusiasts with a serious passion for great sound.

Of course it was a true pleasure to meet Joe and Dennis from HTS and spend some quality time with them.

Some of my favorite time was not only listening, but having dinner with everyone... a real treat to say the least.

I am looking forward to the next show.
Very well said Sonnie. I was there two years back and missed out on last years event. This years I had an impression that the turnout was much better organized and that there we a lot more visitors attending the show, many rooms were bustling with activity, some rooms were so busy that I had to go two or three times just to get a seat and listen to the system.

We also are looking forward to next years event, we sure will be attending again with a different system of course!
post #9 of 35 Old 05-10-13, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Wardsweb wrote: View Post
So did anyone check out my cardboard pyramid speakers and battery powered preamp in the River City Audio Society room?
Unfortunately, I did not make it into the room. It was really packed when I went by, and I never got a chance to make it back.

post #10 of 35 Old 05-10-13, 09:07 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Tony - it seems most 2 channel setups I have seen actually use tube amps. Axpona was the same way. I am not an amp knowledgeable person, but I think the general concensus is that tubes provide cleaner, warmer sound.

There were a couple tube amps at LSAF that I thought were priced for someone starting out that sounded very good...
Hi Joe,

While your observations are correct (tubes being very prevalent at 2 ch Audio/Fashion shows), your "consensus" is not....
Personal preferences should never be conflated with facts.
The only consensus amongst audiophiles, is that there is none. Tubes, wires, digital, you name it.
Tube amplifiers can be designed to be virtually indistinguishable sonically from SS, or not (whether intentional, or not). Note my distinction of "sonic", pertaining to soundwave/soundfield (pardon the pun). This would, by definition, be the "sound" at the pinna (ears) minus the "other" factors which have a significant impact on "sound" processing after the pinna, such as visual perception, expectation and other biases, etc., etc.
Tubes can certainly "warm/define" the "sound", as defined above. For the newbs, they are absolutely not a requirement however (for 2ch, cleaner sound, etc.), unless one wants to make a certain fashion statement, or impose a "sound" all of its own.
I fall in neither "camp", using both SS and Tubes, as you witnessed at both events. I like both...and so can you.

cheers,

AJ