Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 290 Old 01-22-08, 09:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Michael

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

Don't suppose you'd consider moving to Chesapeake Virginia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 290 Old 01-22-08, 09:48 AM
Shackster
David

I've been out of it for a weeks. I sure hate that I missed the meet up. Looks like y'all learned a lot and had a good time. Hope I'll be able to make the next one.
post #93 of 290 Old 01-22-08, 03:21 PM
Shackster
Maceo23

Had a great time this weekend. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Wayne, thank you so much for hosting. I'm going to get started on my own sonotube build this weekend. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll knock it out quickly. If so, Mark, you can count me in for the build off. I already have a few design ideas rolling around in my head.

post #94 of 290 Old 01-22-08, 05:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Glad everyone had a good time! I was really surprised that Mark was the only one who wanted to try his hand at it.

Mark, it might interest you to know: After the meet I naturally had to rework the set of Mogami cables I had “sacrificed” for the demo – i.e. cut the other "unbutchered" lead down to the right length, and re-install the RCAs on both leads. When I re-soldered the one you had practiced on, I didn’t have to re-prep the cable. I just soldered it to the connector “as is.” Your “maiden” prep was that good!

Quote:
lvisneau wrote: View Post
Boy does wayne know his cable stuff or what?? Wayne you were an excellent host, Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words everyone – just hope it wasn’t TMI!

By the way, Leon, we sorely short-changed your sub here. I noticed as everyone was leaving that I forgot to turn off the DSP “Cellar Club” processing I use for music (which I was playing before everyone showed up). My REW measurements with it engaged have shown it to just annihilate response below about 30 Hz. That’s why your extension didn’t look any better than it did. Despite that it showed great extension all the way to the bottom of the graph (10 Hz), which is better than I’ve ever seen with that DSP on! I look forward to hearing it and measuring it in your own HT!

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #95 of 290 Old 01-28-08, 01:36 AM
jwhite

Sory i missed the get togethers my wifes been a crazy person lately , she thinks Im cheating on her
post #96 of 290 Old 01-28-08, 04:07 AM
Shackster

Tony

That really was a fruitful get together - a lot of great information. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer, but I think seeing that sonosub upclose was worth the trip by itself...what a beast! I loved it.

Wayne, you are a gracious host and I truly enjoyed meeting you and Donna.
Mark, you did a great job with organizing this event - many thanks!

I'm excited about putting a sub together and I have to say that sonosub was amazing.

Thanks again for the gathering.

T.
post #97 of 290 Old 03-03-08, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

HHT-DIY
How 'bout another meet?

Any ideas for topics, or offers to host/present?
Lvisneau, care to treat us to a demo of that great sonosub?
FlashJim, how about a comparison of your DIY sealed sub vs. Infinite Baffle sub?
Jack, we'd love a demo of your awesome HT setup.
Bear5K, a video calibration lesson and recent release DVD screening would be great.

anyone else?

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #98 of 290 Old 03-04-08, 06:24 AM
Shackster
leon

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
HHT-DIY
How 'bout another meet?

Any ideas for topics, or offers to host/present?
Lvisneau, care to treat us to a demo of that great sonosub?
FlashJim, how about a comparison of your DIY sealed sub vs. Infinite Baffle sub?
Jack, we'd love a demo of your awesome HT setup.
Bear5K, a video calibration lesson and recent release DVD screening would be great.

anyone else?
I'm having some "buzzing" issues w/ the sono but we can still do a demo.
I also just got the epson pro cinema 1080UB, so we can demo that also if we want.
And I just did a diy masking system for my screen(nothing special, just some moveable felt).
Maybe A multiple stop meet?
post #99 of 290 Old 03-18-08, 07:53 PM
Mfishmike

I'm just a novice and don't have any technical demonstrations, but if a couple of fellows wants to get together and listen to my 5 year project, I may be open for a demo.....Those with children or have sensitive ears may want to bring a football helmet or ear plugs ....
My Soundsplinter subwoofer had a baby two weeks ago. They look like twins!

I've just heard about this group....

I managed to get myself marked on the Google map of the DIY participants.

Mike Cason
Attached Thumbnails
Houston DIY Home Theater Group?-finished009.jpg  

Attachments
post #100 of 290 Old 03-24-08, 08:56 AM
Mfishmike

Re: Arts Clean Box modified

Hey Houston guys....

I bought an Art's Clean Box and made the following modifications to it and it is way too much for my system as I have barrier input strips to match the impedance from my Rotel to the QSCs'. Look for the Arts Clean Box thread to see what folks are saying about it.

I installed the 1 uf caps, replacing the originals so you don't lose the low end like some were complaining about. They originally had the .047 caps and the bass was diminished.

During one of the meets or a visit from one of you guys, I'll let the modified box go for $50 with the original caps in a baggie and throw in a pair of XLR cables I bought to hook it up to the amps. I'm not trying to just pawn off the box, but if one of you really need this thing, it will save you some money rather than buying it and making the modifications. Otherwise, I'll just keep it put away for another project.

Mike

http://www.ccdoggy.net/speaker/IMG_2119.jpg