Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 290 Old 06-20-08, 09:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Anyone in Katy or the west side of town interested in carpooling?

Regards,
Wayne

I would be. You drive, I buy lunch? My A/C clutch bearing is starting to go.

Jim
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 290 Old 06-20-08, 02:55 PM
Mfishmike

Hey guys.....

I'm getting excited about your enthusiasm. Many dollars and years have gone into my project and I certainly enjoy auditioning it to folks, especially ones that know the DIY challenges. Most people can't imagine the amount of work that has to to into a full DIY home theater......

I hope I get my Rotel back soon and I should have the Bang & Olfusen RL60s finished by mid week and installed by the end of next weekend. They should really set off the surround system. You can see them at my new website I just got online a couple of days ago. I've still have more info and pics to add, but at least it's up and running....

Thanks,
Mike Cason
post #113 of 290 Old 06-28-08, 05:11 PM
Mfishmike

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Mike Sheehan at Rotel last week and my unit was supposed to go on his workbench on the 24th. I'm not pushing them as they took it back after the warranty period had expired. All of the new audio formats and upgrades are being performed.

I have a new website up and running now to give back to the DIY people who are just getting into the new hobby as well as for those that are always looking for new suppliers and etc. My site is free and I have an open forum and I am not a manufacture biased website. After 10 years of folks helping me out, I felt it was time for me to give my time in return to help others with what limited knowledge I have.

I ran into a bit of a problem today. Today was my install day for my completely modified Bang & Olufsen Redline 60 speakers as my side surrounds, and they won't be able to be mounted where I need them. They are now for sale and I have a link below for the listing here at the Shack:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post104706

Full details with crystal clear pics of my modification and rebuilds can be found on my new website. Just look under the Bang & Olufsen Redlline Modification in the index. I have more information in my phpBB forum under the "Garage Sale" discussion.

I am devastated, as these are simply awesome speakers and I've worked so hard on them. I've fixed two manufacturer's flaws with the ABR's and the crossovers. How about 94 to 96 dB efficient?

Let me know if any of you are interested in them. I have an extra pair of speakers for back up drivers, tweets, and crossovers. I also have a single pair of stands. $600 takes everything.

I'll keep you posted if Rotel has a delay or problem with my processor/amp well ahead of our intended meeting target date of July 26th or 27th.

Thanks,
Mike UPDATE>>>>>The B & O speakers now installed and off the market.

Last edited by Mike Cason; 07-13-08 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Update....

post #114 of 290 Old 07-03-08, 08:18 AM
Mfishmike

Re: July 26th or 27th meeting...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

My Rotel is back and is online. I've got some tweaking to do and am still working on getting my old/new Bang & Olufsen surrounds installed. I've got some good Polk RC85I's ceiling mounted surrounds, so if the B & O's aren't in yet, were still ready to go!

I'm not selling the B & O's now because I'm determined to find a way to mount these simply awesome and efficient speakers.

I'll hand this post over to Mark now and let him help me get my end of the meeting ready for you guys because this is a new twist to my lifestyle......

Thanks,
Mike
post #115 of 290 Old 07-05-08, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Houston Home Theater DIY July Meeting

Time:
Sunday, July 27
2:00pm - 4:00pm

See general map below
Directions with your RSVP

Agenda:
Mike will be wowwing us with his amazing DIY home theater system with mulple custom-built speakers and newly reworked amplifier. I'm sure he has demo material to show off his creations, but if you want to try out your favorite movie scene or a music track, bring it along (I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind). We'll hear about his design goals, information and supply sources, cabinet construction, testing, and his final assessment. I'm sure some great advice will come out of this session for anyone considering building speakers or designing a home theater.

Mark (mrstampe)
832-723-2119
or PM me

All are welcome, but for security purposes we'll release specific maps and directions only to those who contact me by PM or phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston DIY Home Theater Group?-hht-diy-july.jpg  

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #116 of 290 Old 07-06-08, 08:48 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Reckon I could carpool with someone.
post #117 of 290 Old 07-06-08, 08:51 PM

Just going to miss me and my new/current build. I will be moving to College Station in early August for graduate school. Perhaps next time.
post #118 of 290 Old 07-06-08, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Reckon I could carpool with someone.
Absolutely! Surely there's someone else who'd like a little roadtrip over to Houston. Maybe some BBQ or "real" Tex-Mex for lunch too?

Quote:
avaserfi wrote: View Post
Just going to miss me and my new/current build. I will be moving to College Station in early August for graduate school. Perhaps next time.
Ahhh, another DIYer coming to town... well, College Station is close enough! Welcome. We'll be looking for you at one of our future events.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #119 of 290 Old 07-06-08, 09:47 PM

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
Ahhh, another DIYer coming to town... well, College Station is close enough! Welcome. We'll be looking for you at one of our future events.
I will probably need some help bringing my builds to the meets . I typically build active systems (so amps are a must) also, I make my builds strictly based on perceptual research meaning they must be audibly inert [among other things] - so they are heavy*. My current three-way will weigh about 130-150lbs a piece...

These are over built in terms of being inert since I had some volume to kill as there was a material change for the constrain layers halfway through, but here is an idea of the cabinet [midrange/tweeter module only shown]. By the way these are going to be my computer speakers as that is the only place I could actually use a monopolar speaker. As far as main speakers go they need to be omnipolar for the most realistic experience possible [as shown by perceptual research].

*Through testing using an accelerometer and a handful of articles published in the JAES I have determined typical DIY and commercial bracing techniques are insufficient in eliminating audible midrange resonances.

post #120 of 290 Old 07-07-08, 05:23 PM
Shackster
David

Aw man! I'll be in Jamaica! Wish I could join you fellas to get a taste of the whole DIY thing (since I have yet to get into it). Maybe next time.