Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 290 Old 09-18-08, 06:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

I just received a PM from Mike Cason. He had a "2 minute allowance on a borrowed DSL computer" to PM me and wanted to pass on to everyone that he's OK. All the buildings are intact, with only a couple of bent gutters. A couple of fences got damaged and lots of trees down and lots of debris. Most of the winds were in the 110 to 125 mph range and there was no storm surge. He's been working 12 hour days doing clean up and he's exhausted. He'll be back as soon as he get's his internet connection up and running.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 290 Old 09-18-08, 08:45 PM
Shackster

Tony

I'm on the 'live-in" crew at the Refinery, so I stayed at work for the duration. Tuesday was my first day off...I'm here at work until we're up and running again. At home, had some water in through my uppper windows and a bent fence in a couple of places. That's it - very fortunate. I got my Comcast services back yesterday - electrical back Monday night. My neighborhood in Pearland did very well. The neighborhood across the street didn't do too well. Roofs and fences are gone. Most of them still do not have power.

I hope the rest of you in Houston are all-right. I hope none of you were in the Galveston/Boliver area - they got leveled. Touch base when you can.

T.
post #153 of 290 Old 09-18-08, 09:46 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

We fared pretty well, actually - had no damage to anything! We even had power (and internet) through the whole thing, except for an hour or so between 8:30-9:30, which was about 2-1/2 hours before the storm hit strong. Amazingly, Direct TV was also on through the whole thing! We're about 25 miles west of downtown Houston, and I think the center of Ike rolled through about 20 -30 miles or east downtown. So we were quite a distance from it. Before it hit the TV was saying we could expect 75-80 MPH winds in Katy, which is the low-end of Category 1 strength. I would venture to guess that was accurate, or maybe even a bit high for what we actually saw.

So overall everyone fared pretty well out here compared to other areas of town. Driving around some of the nearby neighborhoods it looked like the worst damage was to wood-plank fences and trees.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #154 of 290 Old 09-19-08, 10:15 AM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Hey guys. We made it through fine. We lost 3 of the 6 pines that we have. I'll be having all of them removed and replaced with oaks.

No house or family damage. We're back to normal except for the clean up.

Jim
Houston, TX

post #155 of 290 Old 09-19-08, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

We're alright here. I rode out the storm by staffing Ben Taub ER friday through sunday. Lots of craziness and some sad stories, but overall Houston pulled through pretty well. As Tony mentioned, the near coastal areas are a different story.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #156 of 290 Old 09-23-08, 07:20 AM
Mfishmike

I'm back.....it's sure nice to have power and internet now. Clear Lake Shores, Kemah, and a lot of Seabrook was under water. 5 more feet of storm surge and I would have been pumping water with the RLP 15's.

It was very strange feeling walking around during the hour or so in the eye of the storm surveying the damage from the initial strike from Ike. The back side of the storm was even worse. It broke plywood and deck screws on the west side windows of my two houses here but held on and everything was intact. We could have had a tornado or wind gusts up to 140 mph as reported by some. I've got both streets lined with trees and debris to be picked up by FEMA.

Now I'm busy helping to restore electricity to a lot of unfortunate folks from downed power lines and broken electrical services.

I felt really bad with all of my trees and fences down along with the huge mess until I started working in Clear Lake Shores and Kemah. There is only a one lane path through the streets of these communities with all of their personal belongings sitting out front ready to be hauled off. Utterly devastating to these folks. I got home the first night after going back to my electrical work in these areas and counted my blessings. The stinch of water and mud in the homes along with the mold and mildew already growing coupled with the humidity really makes it hard on these people and workers.

Everyone who was in the path of this storm that only suffered debris and minor damages, count your blessings.

I'm glad to see everyone who has posted did well.

Mike
post #157 of 290 Old 10-09-08, 08:51 AM
Mfishmike

Re: Hurrican Ike photos

Hi to all you Houston DIY members.

Someone sent me a link to a lot of photos that include San Leon, Kemah, League City, and other areas around here showing the damages incurred from the storm.

I thought I would share them with you.

Hope all is well with everyone....

Mike

http://tinyurl.com/3f9qnp
post #158 of 290 Old 10-14-08, 12:16 PM
Shackster
Ren

Rats! I just joined HTS and wish I had joined soon enough to attend the Houston get together. I live and work near I-45 and Dixie Farm Rd.
post #159 of 290 Old 10-14-08, 04:28 PM
Mfishmike

Quote:
johngalt47 wrote: View Post
Rats! I just joined HTS and wish I had joined soon enough to attend the Houston get together. I live and work near I-45 and Dixie Farm Rd.
pm or email me with your name and phone number. You are just a couple of minutes away......Maybe we can crank 'em up for a few minutes this weekend fer ya...

Mike
post #160 of 290 Old 10-14-08, 05:08 PM
Shackster
Ren

That would be great! I'll send you an email shortly.