Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 20 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #191 of 290 Old 03-22-09, 05:23 AM
Mfishmike

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
Wow, time has really gotten away from me. Between my hospital duties and preparing for a deployment to the middle east, things are pretty hectic. I'm stealing minutes here and there to finish off the Nat P Waves, but oranizing the HHT-DIY meetings is proving to be too much (at least for now). Maybe if Mike is willing to host the next meet, he could organize it as well? Or if someone else is interested, that would work too. So, what do you guys think?
If you guys want to come next weekend, let me know. I'll keep my slate clean. Jim or someone will need to bring his BluRay player and demo material as I'm still holding out waiting on the lastest tech & pricing....I've still got all my other demo stuff and DVD player; just not BluRay.

I might have a new pair of 4 driver Audience A3 cabinets finished by then to demo out as well. I'm not going to hit ya up for a sales pitch. I've always wanted to hear a quality small driver line array speaker that sounded good.

I need to know soon so I can get prepared and get myself back on the DIY Googlemap for you. I don't want to schedule any work either as I do work on weekends when necessary.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 08:23 AM
Mfishmike

Re: Is the Houston DIY Group dead?

Knock, Knock,.....anyone here?

It's sure been quiet for our Houston group.

Does anyone have any ideas for another meeting?

Jim, I've purchased that new BluRay player that I knew would come along finally. It's the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player. Firmware upgrades are as easy as the internet connection or USB. It plays everything and is cheap enough at $499. I have mine on order from the factory which sells them at the same price as the Amazon bunch. The reviews are awesome. Only downside is you can't order Netflix, at least just yet. A firmware in the future may fix this.
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/players.php?p=1&id=105

Once I received and tested this one out, I'll let you know and if any of you guys want to come over and check it out, I'm open to having another meet here, even if only a couple of you want to come over.

I also have completed my pair of 4 driver Audience A3 speakers those interested in hearing a small line array full range, crossover free speaker.

If anyone else has a suggestion, let's hear it. Wayne, I think you had your IB sub finished?

Mike
post #193 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 11:47 AM
Shackster
Maceo23

I have the Oppo Blu Ray. Its awesome. I have a PS3 also, and it smokes it picture wise. The blu ray is great, but the up conversion on standard dvds is absolutely amazing. I also did an AB over at a local high end shop mt buddy works at with a $20K mitner cd player, and it wasn't embarrassing. Really just a great player.

post #194 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 06:00 PM
Shackster

Ray

KEWL!!

Just saw this post. MOST DEFINITLY COUNT ME In!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #195 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 06:08 PM
Mfishmike

Quote:
Ray in Kingwood wrote: View Post
KEWL!!

Just saw this post. MOST DEFINITLY COUNT ME In!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray,

I'll post again after I've got the Oppo set up and purchased a couple of BluRay disks. Bring a fav if you have one. The upgrading chip is the Crystal Bay VRS chip and is claimed to give the upconversion of a standard DVD to 1080P with the same quality found in the $4500 to $7500 BluRay players.

I'll keep ya posted,
Mike
post #196 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 06:10 PM
Shackster

Ray

Not a problem. I have my OPPO installed and running now. Awesome piece. I live over in Kingwood. When my UMC1 comes in, I certainly would be willing to host here at my home.
post #197 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Glad to see some interest kindling again! Sorry I've been out of pocket. The schedule is getting much more manageable these days.

Awesome Audience A3s, Mike -- I can't wait to hear them. I'm veneering my Nat Ps tonight, so they should be done soon. I'm game for whatever the group wants to do.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #198 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 08:11 PM
Shackster

Ray

I DO have an ice box full of COLD brewskis and Margaritas......just thought I would throw that in!
I have all emotiva gear.......
post #199 of 290 Old 07-20-09, 08:19 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Is the Houston DIY Group dead?

Quote:
Mike Cason wrote: View Post
If anyone else has a suggestion, let's hear it. Wayne, I think you had your IB sub finished?
Itís not an IB, it just utilizes an IB-styled manifold in a built-in cabinet that was in my living room. It was never intended to be a high-performance design, just something that would aesthetically integrate into the room and hopefully perform as well as many off-the-shelf subs. Still, if anyone is interested in looking at what can be done with built-in cabinetry, Iíd be game to host an event. Might be another couple of months, though, as I have yet to finish the grille and the electronics need some mods and further tweaking. It was surprisingly cheap, since the cabinet was ďfreeĒ and I already had the drivers and amplifier.

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas for another meeting?
I want to see Flash Jimís IB! Jim, youíve had plenty of time to finish remodeling that bathroom! Hee hee...

Mike, Those new speakers of yours sound pretty intriguing...

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #200 of 290 Old 07-23-09, 03:24 AM
Shackster

Tony

All-righty then, looks like we're back in business. Mark glad to see you're home and well. Mike your speakers look awesome and I'm sure will not dissappoint. And Ray...well, Ray has cold one's on ice.

This forum rocks. Whatever you guys want to do works for me. I'm off this weekend and would love to split a cold one and a show anywhere. Ya'll can come over to my place anytime as well. Shoot, let's put names in the hat and start pulling. Ray, if you haven't heard Mike's speakers in person, you might want to make the trek across town.

I'm in!

T.

Oops, almost forgot the boss. Howdy Wayne!