Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 290 Old 12-03-07, 04:07 PM
Shackster
leon

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

Quote:
udaman wrote: View Post
Not much of a DIYer but I'm interested to learn. Did DIY my BOC projection screen. Not sure if that counts. I'm at [email protected]

You may not be a diyer yet. but come see some of our stuff and you will be!:raped:
At 290 & 8 your right around the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 290 Old 12-03-07, 05:55 PM
Shackster

Tony

I think bringing the family is a great idea. My hopes on this first visit was to see set ups, get an idea on product used, and share ideas on options available. Some set ups in my neighborhood are a flat screen, reciever and a couple of speakers and some are elaborate custom installs. I haven't seen the use of absorption materials so there's obviously room for improvement - mine included.

I'm trying to get my schedule nailed down; I won't have another day off until the 14th. Working Nights on the 15th, then off on the 16th. So I'm good for the Friday the 14th or Sunday (after I get up from the graveyard shift) the 16th. If this might work for everyone, let me know and I'll get the neighbors ready for some company...

Anyway, a list of how many stops that are available would be helpful so we can schedule this first visit. You can PM me or hit me up for my email and I'll work with Mark to get something working.

Hey Mark, Congrats on the birth of your little girl!!! I'm very happy for you and your family.
post #43 of 290 Old 12-06-07, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

I see the Houston HT DIY (HHT-DIY) Club starting with a core group with various levels of experience in speaker building, woodworking, electronics, and media. You need not have any experience, only a interest in the art and science of home theater. A few points that have come up:

1) First meeting: probably Sun, Dec 16, afternoon -- touring several home theaters. For ease of visiting several closely spaced homes, the Pearland area may be the best option for a first meeting. Tony is getting commitments from several of his neighbors today. Seems like we have another cluster of guys on the west end (Katy, Belt/290) -- if Pearland does not work for the majority, and we'd rather have it West, we can plan for same date or have another west-end tour for the second meeting. Give feedback, please...

2) Agenda:
First Meeting: mainly intros, several tours and quick demos. also gathering ideas for future meeting content.
Later Meetings: screening recent a DVD release in members' homes. talk or demo on speaker project, woodworking (cabinetry, veneering, finishing, etc.), crossovers, room eq, guest speakers on technical topics.

3) Sponsors: I've had prelim discussions with the Woodcraft Southwest manager about them sponsoring the group and having professional demonstrations on whatever we would like. I also contacted the Jasper Jig folks, a local company that makes the popular circle cutting jigs for speaker baffles -- no word yet, but it's early. As we get established, we could approach other companies with an interest in our business to sponsor activities and giveaways.

4) Family involvement: I think it's a great idea to have the family come out. If the first meeting is to be a tour, it may be less conducive to a family event. As we start screening DVDs and remain in one home, it would be something the family would be more likely to enjoy.

Please share your thoughts on venue, schedule, agenda for the first meeting. Otherwise, we'll proceed as above.

We'll get a firm head count when the details are set in a day or so.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!

post #44 of 290 Old 12-06-07, 05:23 PM
Shackster

Spridle

No DIY here, but I'd like to join the tour.
post #45 of 290 Old 12-12-07, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Houston Home Theater DIY December Meeting

Time:
Sunday, December 16
2:00pm - 4:00pm

See general map below
Directions with your RSVP

Agenda:
Introductions. We'll tour at least two completed home theaters
and one work in progress. Discuss how to plan a DIY room from
the ground up. Plan for future events.

Mark (mrstampe)
832-723-2119

or PM me

All are welcome, but for security purposes we'll release maps and
directions only to those who contact me. This should be a very
informative meeting. In the coming months, we can see several
completed rooms/speakers/subs and follow some planned builds
(Tony's HT room, Jim's speakers, my sub and speakers, and others).
Get some ideas for your own!

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!

Last edited by mrstampe; 12-12-07 at 12:48 PM.
post #46 of 290 Old 12-12-07, 02:11 PM
Shackster
Bill

I'll try to make it, if I can. I'm also happy to speak at an event, if there is any interest in my little area of HT expertise (www.calman.tv).

Bill

CalMAN -- Home Theater Calibration Software
post #47 of 290 Old 12-12-07, 06:29 PM
Shackster

Tony

Bill,

I think your prescence at our get together would be a great value to everyone. Having a High Def system does little if the finished presentation isn't fine tuned. I think the calibration sector of Home Theaters is an untapped market and definately high on the learning curve for the average consumer (like me...)

I hope you'll attend and I already had you on my list to contact for a quote - I have three high def sources and all three could use a calibration massage.

Contact me or Mark if you have any questions and I hope to see you this Sunday.

Tony
post #48 of 290 Old 12-13-07, 03:43 PM
Shackster
Maceo23

Hey guys, I'm afraid that I can't make the first meeting on Sunday. As it happens, I will finally be installing my new twins. A pair of TC-12s that I finally finished up a few days ago. My so called audio brain trust will be over at my place trying to figure out how to work REW and set my FBD. It should make for a day chalk filled with bickering and arguing as one comes from a pro audio background, and the other is a salesman over at Audio Concepts. Either way, I'll have bass by the end of the day. I really look forward to the next meeting though.
post #49 of 290 Old 12-13-07, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Quote:
Maceo23 wrote: View Post
Hey guys, I'm afraid that I can't make the first meeting on Sunday. As it happens, I will finally be installing my new twins. A pair of TC-12s that I finally finished up a few days ago. My so called audio brain trust will be over at my place trying to figure out how to work REW and set my FBD. It should make for a day chalk filled with bickering and arguing as one comes from a pro audio background, and the other is a salesman over at Audio Concepts. Either way, I'll have bass by the end of the day. I really look forward to the next meeting though.
If we're thinking about a West Houston tour in January with a presentation on some topic, Maceo23's twins would make a great addition. We can talk more about that later.

For the December meet, we have 5 confirmed so far. Several others have expressed interest, but I still need RSVPs to send out maps. Get those in soon, so we can plan.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #50 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Now we may have as many as 5 homes to tour in the same neighborhood -- very nice set-ups. We've also gotten quite a few more RSVPs too. Any others who'd like to join the tour can still respond by PM to receive the address and a map. It should be a great showing!

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!