Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 10:53 AM
Shackster
Bill

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

Looks like I can't make it. The "Honey Do" list was longer than I could get done yesterday (I need to "raccoon-proof" the attic today). Looks like I'll have to catch up at a later meet. Sorry!

CalMAN -- Home Theater Calibration Software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 12:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Take pics. There's no way I can make it. We're preparing for a trip to Colorado for Christmas.

Jim
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 08:33 PM
Shackster
Maceo23

Well Guys, I'm really looking forward to hear how the meet went, especially after the disaster I've had here trying to set up my twin tc12s. Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me.

post #54 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Quote:
Maceo23 wrote: View Post
Well Guys, I'm really looking forward to hear how the meet went, especially after the disaster I've had here trying to set up my twin tc12s. Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me.
Before you scrap the project completely, you may want to try a few things. First, there are ways to boost low level output signal from receivers to amplifiers -- don't know if an ArtClean box might work for you. Others may have suggestions in this area. Second, you may be able to address your light dimming issue without getting into your walls. If the master breaker in your townhome's breaker box is sufficiently large (enough spare amperage over what is already breakered out to all other circuits), you may be able to upgrade the breaker switch for the circuit feeding your Nady. If you're not familiar with working on house electrical service, I'd call an electrician for sure -- don't fry yourself over bass!!

The HHT-DIY meet was a success! I'll post a summary with pics soon.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #55 of 290 Old 12-16-07, 11:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me.
You might start up a thread about this and get some opinions from some others...

I'm excited that you guys were able to get together successfully and look forward to hearing a report and see some pics.
post #56 of 290 Old 12-17-07, 07:50 AM
Shackster
David

I just joined last Friday and I've been running around all weekend, so I missed your meet-n-greet/tour. Let me know when the next one is because I'd love to come and have a chance to learn something from you guys. If it's a family thing, I'll bring my fiance. I'm glad I found this forum!
post #57 of 290 Old 12-17-07, 05:02 PM
jwhite

Whats up guys sorry i havent kept up with the group ...I eh.. did not notice there was 3 pages of posts
Id love to hear someone elses theater.
post #58 of 290 Old 12-19-07, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Houston Home Theater DIY December Meeting

We had a great first HHT-DIY meet on Sunday. Though there were a couple cancellations, we still saw two great HTs. Many new home builders are offering "bonus rooms" or home theaters during construction. These were two examples.

HT #1 (Sprtex): This room was built for HT, but when the builder's layout did not meet his needs, Tony gutted the room. He reoriented the room direction, built seating risers, an in-wall component rack, a DIY projector screen, and installed 5.1 surround speakers with subwoofer. Tony, feel free to elaborate on design goals, pitfalls, and plans for the future.

HT #2 (nonmember): We toured one of Tony's neighbor's HT. This one is larger with a 3 level riser, recessed stage and a professionally calibrated PJ screen. It was really well done and can offer a lot of great ideas for our own DIY projects.

I've had several PMs and thread responses asking to be included in the next meet. Since a lot of guys are clustered in the west Houston area, we should try to meet around there. For January, we should pick one member's DIY to demo and discuss, and maybe screen a recently released DVD - families invited. Does anyone have a DIY speaker, subwoofer, or HT they wouldn't mind showing off?

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #59 of 290 Old 12-20-07, 05:08 AM
Shackster

Tony

My design goals for my dedicated HT room are:
1. Select HT seating and placement
2. Sound diffusers/blockers/traps
3. Complete woodwork (crown molding) & decorations
4. Then start upgrading everything...
a. Start with new sub (decide on what type of sub) - I need to feel the "boom"
b. HD DVD player
c. Receiver
d. Speakers

Pitfalls:
I was given some bad advice (wasn't a membe here yet) and didn't insulate any of the room while tearing down and rebuilding...On my next windfall, I'll just have to start over. Might take down the false wall with the HVAC ducts, re-route and open the room up for wider seating.

Future plans:
Get all my my Theater sources calibrated: Projector, 55" Hitachi, 42" Plamsa, 34" Sony Flat Screen...
Upgrade my Surround System in the Gameroom, move the Onkyo to the Master (oh, add TV in master.)

Besides the funds and time, I'm just about ready.

My neighbors system consists of a Mistu 3000 Projector, the screen is stretched fabric, I think his receiver was Onkyo. He has Dish with the Sports package and the Theater is primarily used for everday watching and all Sports events. His picture is very clear. His Velodyne sub thumping from the rear tops off a very nice Theater Room.

I'm glad everyone came and I hope you enjoyed your visit to my humble abode. I'm looking forward to our future visits where can get some hands on with some new projects.
post #60 of 290 Old 12-27-07, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

NEW IDEA FOR THE HOUSTON HT DIY CLUB

SDX15 SUBWOOFER BUILD-OFF !!!
Prize: free SDX15 driver

Nathan at Funky Waves will consider sponsoring a free sub driver, if enough guys want to participate. It would go something like this...

Each participant would build a cabinet or sonosub of their own design to meet their music / HT needs based on modeling and dimensions of this driver. In a couple months, we would take turns bolting the same SDX15 into each of the cabinets or tubes to run SPL, FR curves on a standard amp (probably EP2500) in each HT (limited to Houston-area participants for driver sharing purposes). Each participant would have to post a build thread describing their needs, goals, design, and an in house eval. By Home Theater Shack voting, the winner would get the free SDX15.

Minimal individual monitary investment, cool competition among mostly newbie builders, awesome prize, and a great club-building event!! We'd probably end up cooperating with each other on the various builds more than competing.

Post your interest or questions below.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!