Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 290 Old 12-27-07, 10:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

You guys might have you something there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 290 Old 12-28-07, 01:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Neat idea. Will we be doing testing in one designated house to keep the FR playing field level?

Jim
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #63 of 290 Old 12-28-07, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

We could either:
1) judge the best sub application by testing in each entrant's home, or
2) judge the stand-alone merit of each sub in one location.

This is our contest, so we decide the rules! Let's hear some more suggestions and from anyone considering throwing their hat in the ring. No commitments yet, just put your toe in the water...

By the way, I'll open up my woodshop and lend my assistance to anyone who wants to build.

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!

post #64 of 290 Old 12-29-07, 10:30 AM
Shackster
Maceo23

Hey Guy, this sounds like a fun contest to me. On a different note. I have a good friend who works at one of the really high end audio stores in Houston, and was thinking that maybe in one of the next few meetings, we could do a little field trip over to the store. I don't think ownership would object to have a nice group of enthusiasts in their store, and its always fun to check out the rally high end stuff ,even if for a lot of us, it might be a little out of budget. Not to mention that Area 51 is a theater all should experience.
post #65 of 290 Old 12-29-07, 05:02 PM
Shackster
marcus

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
We could either:
1) judge the best sub application by testing in each entrant's home, or
2) judge the stand-alone merit of each sub in one location.

This is our contest, so we decide the rules! Let's hear some more suggestions and from anyone considering throwing their hat in the ring. No commitments yet, just put your toe in the water...

By the way, I'll open up my woodshop and lend my assistance to anyone who wants to build.
This would be a cool contest. I have to think about how much time it would take to do this. With two young kids, free time is a scarce commodity. Not to mention, the only 'real' power tool I have is a drill and a loaner miter saw.
post #66 of 290 Old 12-29-07, 05:10 PM
Shackster
marcus

Quote:
Maceo23 wrote: View Post
Hey Guy, this sounds like a fun contest to me. On a different note. I have a good friend who works at one of the really high end audio stores in Houston, and was thinking that maybe in one of the next few meetings, we could do a little field trip over to the store. I don't think ownership would object to have a nice group of enthusiasts in their store, and its always fun to check out the rally high end stuff ,even if for a lot of us, it might be a little out of budget. Not to mention that Area 51 is a theater all should experience.
I think I know what high end shop you are talking about. Been there a few times browsing through the different listening rooms. Very nice people and willing to talk to you without pushing for a sale. There are definitely some very nice stuff there. Would love to make a trip there anyday.
post #67 of 290 Old 12-29-07, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Quote:
udaman wrote: View Post
This would be a cool contest. I have to think about how much time it would take to do this. With two young kids, free time is a scarce commodity. Not to mention, the only 'real' power tool I have is a drill and a loaner miter saw.
Hey udaman,

come on over and let's build some subs! i have a fully outfitted woodshop ready for anyone who wants to enter the contest. we'll set a reasonable deadline for finishing the projects, so don't worry about this consuming all your time. let's hear some more interest in this great giveaway contest!!! even if you don't win the free driver, you'll be all set to drop one in an enclosure built with Home Theater Shack advice and Houston Home Theater DIY hands-on help. you can't beat that deal!!!

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #68 of 290 Old 12-31-07, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Quote:
FlashJim wrote: View Post
I've had drivers for a year and have yet to find time to play.

Jim,

Will you be building to a particular set of plans, or are you designing your own? I'm trying to decide on plans for my own front 3 -- MTM vs. TMWW. Any thoughts on that matter? (anyone else may comment) ongoing thread

I'm trying to pull the trigger before the Parts Express free shipping and driver sale is over on Jan 3.

Thanks!

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!
post #69 of 290 Old 12-31-07, 05:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
Will you be building to a particular set of plans, or are you designing your own? I'm trying to decide on plans for my own front 3 -- MTM vs. TMWW.
Before I start on my speakers, I have to build another hutch for the entertainment center in the pic. I've got one doodled up to fit the new center channel and the Sony 50". I'm building the WMTW Center and TMWW Mains from HTGuide.com. I considered MTM, but I needed something that would sound good off axis. My "theater" is my living room and everyone is sitting off axis.

I'm considering some translam enclosures with curved sides. I'd be building surrounds to match down the road. I'm in the planning stages of building a vacuum press to help with the veneer. It's not a requirement, but I like toys.

I think MTM center and mains, 10" mid-bass bins, and a wicked big sub would be a pretty fun HT setup.

Jim
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #70 of 290 Old 01-04-08, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Houston Home Theater DIY January meet

As the holidays settle down, how about another Houston meet on the west side? We could demo a DIY sub or speakers, or how about someone's DIY home theater?

FlashJim, a comparison of your sealed vs infinite baffle subs would make a great demo.
Lvisneau, you have a sonosub, right?
Wayne, how about a DIY cable demo, a REW run through, or some sage advice from your professional HT days?
We have lots of other DIYers around... anyone else want to jump in for this month?

Possible dates are Jan 19, 20, 26, or 27.

More details on the Sub Build-Off at the meet...

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!