Houston DIY Home Theater Group? - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 290 Old 01-04-08, 10:37 PM
etexas
Inactive

Re: Houston DIY Home Theater Group?

im in for a cable demo . Im in the process of building a theater and need help with that part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 290 Old 01-04-08, 11:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

That sounds like a fun get-together. Hopefully I can make it for the date decided on; weekends typically are not a problem.

Quote:
Wayne, how about a DIY cable demo, a REW run through, or some sage advice from your professional HT days?
Actually, it was my pro-audio installation days. Not sure how much of that translates to the home, unless maybe you want to hang speakers from your ceiling with chains or aircraft cable.

Houston DIY Home Theater Group?-flying-speakers-.jpg

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #73 of 290 Old 01-05-08, 06:49 AM
Shackster

Tony

Sounds great! I'm working all of those days, but I can make an early afternoon meet. The times of the first one would work again.

Hey etexas, welcome to the forum. Hollar if you need anything, you're in the neighborhood.

T.

post #74 of 290 Old 01-06-08, 01:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

I'm out for January. It's Pinewood Derby season. I run it for our Pack.

Jim
Houston, TX

post #75 of 290 Old 01-08-08, 04:49 PM
Shackster
leon

Quote:
mrstampe wrote: View Post
Houston Home Theater DIY January meet

As the holidays settle down, how about another Houston meet on the west side? We could demo a DIY sub or speakers, or how about someone's DIY home theater?

FlashJim, a comparison of your sealed vs infinite baffle subs would make a great demo.
Lvisneau, you have a sonosub, right?
Wayne, how about a DIY cable demo, a REW run through, or some sage advice from your professional HT days?
We have lots of other DIYers around... anyone else want to jump in for this month?

Possible dates are Jan 19, 20, 26, or 27.

More details on the Sub Build-Off at the meet...
I'm good w/ those dates as of right now, let's see as we get closer.

and yes I have a sono but I've since added my other 2 back in the mix.
post #76 of 290 Old 01-09-08, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mrstampe

Houston Home Theater DIY January Meeting

Time:
Saturday, January 19
2:00pm - 4:00pm

See general map below
Directions with your RSVP

Agenda:
1) DIY cable demo: types of wire runs required for different applications, quality vs price of cable components, cable anatomy, terminal differences, building codes, and a cable construction demo. Bring your own cheap RCA plugs for a guided tutorial (yes, you will be building cables!).
2) Room EQ Wizard demo: see how to perform live room audio testing with free software. If someone could bring a DIY subwoofer, we'll use it as an example and get to see/hear your handywork.
3) SDX15 Subwoofer Build-Off: details and planning. This is how you build a DIY sub enclosure with guidance and win a free driver to put in it!! It doesn't get better than that!!
4) Recent release DVD screening: come for the education, stay for socializing. We're taking suggestions on the movie title.
Wayne and Donna are kind enough to offer refreshments during the event.

Mark (mrstampe)
832-723-2119
or PM me

Cables, REW and a DIY sub are the 3 most commonly requested meeting topics -- you get them all in one day with us!! All are welcome, but for security purposes we'll release specific maps and directions only to those who contact me by PM or phone.
Attachments

Mark
Springfield, IL

GO MIZZOU!

Last edited by mrstampe; 01-10-08 at 11:39 AM.
post #77 of 290 Old 01-09-08, 10:32 PM
Shackster

Tony

This is awesome! What a great agenda you've put together. I know it's a lot of work to bring this all together and sacrifice from your family and from Wayne to volunteer his time and home as well. Thanks a million for doing this.

I'll definitely be there.

Please let me know if you need anything at all for this get together.

Tony
post #78 of 290 Old 01-10-08, 05:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Wayne's an excellent host and really knows his stuff. You can't help but have a good time.

Jim
Houston, TX

post #79 of 290 Old 01-10-08, 09:42 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To clarify a couple of things in the announcement...
Quote:
Bring your own cheap RCA cables for a guided tutorial (yes, you will be building cables!).
...actually what you want to bring is a cheap RCA plug, so you’ll have something to practice on. Something like this from Radio Shack. I have a few RCAs on hand, but probably not enough for everyone.

And:
Quote:
If someone could bring a DIY subwoofer, we'll use it as an example and get to see/hear your handywork.
There would be no need to bring an amplifier; I have one.

Jim, sorry you can’t make it – I know you’ve been wanting to try your hand at DIY cabling.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #80 of 290 Old 01-10-08, 09:56 AM
Shackster
marcus

I'm in.

REW demo is exactly what I need. Actually, I first try REW last night for two hours and couldn't get pass the mic loopback test to work correctly.

cheers,
Marcus