Plasma 17 15.74%
Projectors 19 17.59%
DLP 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 26 Old 07-08-06, 10:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Re: Display Types

....but would it kill them to have a calibrated mode?? Just punch a button on the remote and it where a calibrator would have set it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 07-08-06, 11:00 AM

Phil

Alain, I used to have a Sony G70 - so know the pain Digital projectors are a huge improvement.
Manufacturers just need to get the gray scale tracking/gamma etc correct - which they don't, and have the usual color/tint/picture/brightness cranked up for regular customers and allow those of us that care being able to use something like Avia to adjust these. This would meet the requirements of the average Joe Public (a nice bright picture with rich color) and the enthusiast. My projector has had an ISF calibration, it is stunningly accurate - but again Joe Public would complain its too dark!

One idea would be to have a self calibrating projector, a small sensor built into the projector body and software that just went through a self calibration routine.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-13-06, 03:24 AM
nobbie
Inactive

It was a toss up between LCD and DLP RP TV's. For me it came down to the fabu case design of the HP MD6580n. Read my review here!

post #14 of 26 Old 07-26-06, 05:20 PM
Shackster

Joe

While "Best" picture probably could (and maybe should) be measured more in technical performance - resolution, contrast, brightness, black levels, etc. -, I picked Projectors purely for the subjective enjoyment and "wow" factors. I really like the big screen, movie theater experience, and the idea that I can closely approximate that quality in my own home is still amazing to me. A good plasma has an incredible picture, but for movie watching, the best picture for me is a BIG one.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-26-06, 09:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Alan

Lightbulb Re: Display Types

PhilM,

Quote:
One idea would be to have a self calibrating projector, a small sensor built into the projector body and software that just went through a self calibration routine.
Marantz did something like this with their front projector. It came with a tristimulus pod, optimized for their projector, that fit over the lens and followed an internal routine. The only down side to this was the fact that the screen's affect on the image could not be included in the measurements. They may have specified one or two screens to match their procedure, but I'm not familiar with all the details. Front projection is a two-piece display system and should be calibrated by taking the readings off of the screen.

Some medical monitors and professional graphics monitors come with a similar setup. The best displays I'm aware of for not even needing calibration are Joe Kane's Samsung projectors. They are the H710 and H800. Joe specifies the two screens he developed with Stewart to go with these devices. These projectors are set up from the factory to deliver accurate color space and grayscales for NTSC, PAL, and HD.

They also deliver CRT-like color performance. CRTs are still predominantly used for mastering video programs in the professional community. This may change over time but it'll be a long time coming. Phosphors cannot achieve HDTV's expanded colorspace. Joe's projectors are unique in that they offer the option of setting up the color space automatically for either NTSC or HDTV! Currently, the vast majority of HDTV programs are mastered for NTSC colorspace and when viewed on a display calibrated for HDTV colorspace skew the image away from that which was intended by the program producer.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
ISF, THX, SMPTE, CEDIA

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #16 of 26 Old 07-27-06, 08:14 AM

Phil

Quote:
Alan Brown wrote:
PhilM,

Marantz did something like this with their front projector. It came with a tristimulus pod, optimized for their projector, that fit over the lens and followed an internal routine. The only down side to this was the fact that the screen's affect on the image could not be included in the measurements.

Some medical monitors and professional graphics monitors come with a similar setup.
Alan, the reason I suggested having a sensor in the projector body was to pick up the reflected light from the screen and take into account the screen material variation. I think this would work?
Also on the medical monitor topic - I had surgery last summer, they used a laproscope, and when they wheeled me into the op room I was bowled over by the color image on the monitor. I was just about to ask them about it and then woke up feeling sore! When I think back it just reminds me what a cross to bear being an AV perfectionist is.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-12-06, 02:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Alan

Phil M,

Quote:
Alan, the reason I suggested having a sensor in the projector body was to pick up the reflected light from the screen and take into account the screen material variation. I think this would work?
One challenge would be the distance, especially collecting enough light at the dark end of the spectrum for an accurate reading. A spectroradiometer-type instrument would be required and the cost of implementing one inside a projector would likely be prohibitive for most people.

Good news on the Joe Kane projectors! There have been recent substantial price drops. Members can contact me privately for more details.

Quote:
what a cross to bear being an AV perfectionist is
I find that the beauty we perfectionists achieve and enjoy along the pathway we've chosen provides sufficient encouragement to persist. At least as long as the money holds out. In my case, it's nice that the fruit of my labors also provides some income.

Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
ISF, THX, SMPTE, CEDIA

post #18 of 26 Old 08-12-06, 06:59 PM
Senior Shackster

MrPorterhouse

Nothing beats a good CRT monitor. I'm not talking big screen, I'm talking something like a Sony 34" XBR type monitor.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-13-06, 10:19 AM
Senior Shackster

Alan

Here's some more news regarding the projector Joe Kane helped Samsung design. These are quotes from an interview from late July with Joe in the most recent Widescreen Review Newsletter. The topic was Joe's analysis of the current imaging superiority of HD DVD vs. Blu-ray Disc.

"WSR Richelieu: What else are you working on now, Joe? Are you going to be helping Samsung again with a 1080p projector?

Kane: I certainly hope so, but my part of that effort has yet to start. My work with Samsung since January 2005 has been limited to show support. The German division of Samsung hired me to do the High End® show in Munich, and then I did INFOCOMM in Orlando. I used HD DVD as a video source in both of those shows. At INFOCOMM people went away absolutely certain that I was showing a 1080p projector and just wasn't saying so. The reason they thought I was using a 1080p projector is that they had never seen such good pictures........

WSR Reber: Incredible. The D-VHS execution of MPEG-2 is better than Blu-ray Disc.

Kane: The thing that has been most impressive to me is while doing HD DVD demonstrations between Munich and Orlando, is seeing some audience members in tears, as they've never seen anything like this before. At INFOCOMM, I started out with off-the-air 1080i material and then I went to 720p, then moved to Windows Media® video, then to HD DVD. Every single person in the audience saw huge differences as I stepped up in source quality. The 720p image was a lot better than anything in 1080i, and then Windows Media video brought the reaction, "That is a lot better than anything we've seen in MPEG." In going to HD DVD they said, "Wow, content that we can buy in the quality level that you're showing in WMV."

WSR Reber: Yeah, okay.

Kane: And, so, it was funny because the reaction on a 720p projector I had from most every member of the audience is, "This is the best high-definition we have ever seen."

Widescreen Review's e-mail newsletter can be subscribed to for free at this link:

http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsr_newsletter.php

The projector Joe has been demonstrating is the Samsung SP-H800AE. He uses the two sceens he developed with Stewart Filmscreen: StudioTek 130 and GrayHawk RS. I've sat for hours in these demos and can attest to the stunning images produced.

Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
ISF, THX, SMPTE, CEDIA

post #20 of 26 Old 11-03-06, 01:07 AM
elmac
Inactive

PJ all the way