LG OLED TVs - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 03-28-14, 08:01 PM
Shackster

Re: LG OLED TVs

Robert, please tell us what images appear in the Healing and Remembering Mode and what kind of music and instrumentation accompanies the images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 03-30-14, 11:42 AM
Shackster

Just wanted to mention that I was in Robert's store yesterday, and this flat LG OLED (LG 55EA8800) was as stunning as Robert says. The store is filled with high-end TVs that look excellent, and even next to these top end TVs, I thought this LG OLED was jaw-dropping. Fantastic, very saturated yet accurate looking color and great blacks such that it really draws your attention. If you have a chance to see one, absolutely don't pass it up.

I will also note that LG's curved OLED was very impressive also. The curve was very subtle and actually hardly noticeable from 7 feet or so away. Picture was greatly detailed, and had a very natural, smoothness to the motion. The colors also appeared to be very accurate by eye, and the black level was fantastic. This might have been the 2nd best TV in the store. There could be some debate over this though since there were many other great TVs from several manufacturers.

But I think many would agree that the flat LG OLED (LG 55EA8800) was clearly on top of them all. LG seems to really be doing some great things with their OLED TVs.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 09:47 AM

Hi Robert,

Have you or anyone else noticed a rather pronounced pixel gap with the 55EA8800? I looked at one here in manhattan, and while the contrast and colors were very impressive, I did feel that the pixel gap was pretty noticeable. Is that something that can be ameliorated at all via picture adjustments? Is this gap more or less the same across all current OLEDs on the market?

Also, did that mini-shootout between the two OLEDs and your KRP-500 ever take place? Very curious how that went!

thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by bustmethat; 04-10-14 at 09:59 AM.

post #14 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Hi bustmethat, welcome to HTS!

I just compared the pixel grids our OLED against several LCD/LED and PDP displays and they all look the same to me. You have to compare only 55" screens to determine if the pixel layout or pattern varies form one display to another.

Our mini Shootout is delayed as I'm waiting for one of our Shootout experts to have the time to schedule the evaluation.

-Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #15 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 02:08 PM

Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate it. Mostly I was curious if this is a known characteristic of the current OLEDs, and from your reply it seems that it is not.

And hope you'll be able to schedule that shootout soon!
post #16 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 02:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Robert do you know the expected up time on the oleds? I know it can suffer the same, often exaggerated, retention issues as plasma. Mainly with blue cell life; I think???
post #17 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 02:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
Hi bustmethat, welcome to HTS!

I just compared the pixel grids our OLED against several LCD/LED and PDP displays and they all look the same to me. You have to compare only 55" screens to determine if the pixel layout or pattern varies form one display to another.

Our mini Shootout is delayed as I'm waiting for one of our Shootout experts to have the time to schedule the evaluation.

-Robert
Looking forward to your thoughts after the evaluation.

Also, please give us your impression regarding before and after calibration. Did the factory do well or does it still need tweaking?

m
post #18 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Thanks for the replies. Only Samsung uses the R/G/B OLED bulbs and they have engineered a method to help the sub-pixels age consistently. Basically, Samsung doubled the size of the blue OLED and drive the blue sub-pixel with 1/2 power so it is designed to have the same half life as the red and green sub-pixels.

LG has a different approach with their exclusive patterned WRGB, that uses all white OLED and filters the white sub-pixels with Red/Green and Blue so the OLED is not subject to color shifting.

LG's method is more cost effective to manufacturer and they also benefit with higher yields, which is why LG is the only manufacturer with full production on two models and they have aggressive plans for 4K OLED TVs in 55", 65" and 77" by the end of this summer.

From what I am told you can expect 30,000 hours to half life. Which is a lot less than PDP or LCD/LED, but still gives the average user many years of exceptional service.

I urge any HTS members or visitors reading this thread to stop by our showroom to see these stunning OLED displays. We have all three models in one room, Samsung's 55" KN55S9, LG's 55" 55EA9800 and LG's 55" 55EA8800.

For LG's OLED TVs they very accurate in the factory calibrated THX modes.

-Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #19 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 08:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
Thanks for the replies. Only Samsung uses the R/G/B OLED bulbs and they have engineered a method to help the sub-pixels age consistently. Basically, Samsung doubled the size of the blue OLED and drive the blue sub-pixel with 1/2 power so it is designed to have the same half life as the red and green sub-pixels.

LG has a different approach with their exclusive patterned WRGB, that uses all white OLED and filters the white sub-pixels with Red/Green and Blue so the OLED is not subject to color shifting.

LG's method is more cost effective to manufacturer and they also benefit with higher yields, which is why LG is the only manufacturer with full production on two models and they have aggressive plans for 4K OLED TVs in 55", 65" and 77" by the end of this summer.

From what I am told you can expect 30,000 hours to half life. Which is a lot less than PDP or LCD/LED, but still gives the average user many years of exceptional service.

I urge any HTS members or visitors reading this thread to stop by our showroom
to see these stunning OLED displays. We have all three models in one room, Samsung's 55" KN55S9, LG's 55" 55EA9800 and LG's 55" 55EA8800.

For LG's OLED TVs they very accurate in the factory calibrated THX modes.

-Robert
Robert

If only that was possible. It would cost me a little over $700 to fly out your way to stop by. My thinking is save it for my next display. For me, who changes out TV's about every 2 years, 30,000 hours is a life time.

If the LG OLED looks great from your thinking, I might switch over. I have had my Samsung 64F8500 for about 9-10 months, the "upgrade" virus is calling.

Since I sit about 14 feet from the TV, I don't think I would benefit from a 4K. A nice 70" 1080 OLED would probably be more than enough HD. Your thinking??????

Jim Shaw

m
post #20 of 27 Old 04-10-14, 08:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Robert

I tried finding the LG OLED 77" measurement (width and height) on their web site but all they have info on is the 55"

Do you happen to know the H&W measurement of the 77"?

Last edited by JimShaw; 04-10-14 at 08:52 PM.