Oppo PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone Review Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 09-01-15, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Oppo PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone Review Discussion Thread

Oppo PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone Review Discussion Thread

Oppo PM-3: $399

by Wayne Myers

Introduction

The Oppo PM-3 is the latest addition to Oppo's line of planar magnetic headphones. The company known for bringing us universal media players has successfully branched into the world of headphones and headphone amplifiers in recent years, and the PM-3 is a worthy addition to that line.

Description

The PM-1 and PM-2 (the PM-1 without some of its nicer accessories) are open versions of the planar magnetic design. The PM-3 is a closed version, with a slightly different earpiece design but a similar overall appearance. I elected to receive the white version. It comes with a detachable white straight cord and blue denim carrying case. There is also a bonus cord which can be ordered for either Android or Apple products and allows basic phone control while listening. An optional headphone stand is also available.

The designers at Oppo addressed one minor annoyance for me in making the left and right earpiece designations easier to find and read. I love the blue denim carrying case. It is sharp and casual at the same time. Like the PM-1 and -2, the PM-3 is made for portable use but at the same time is worthy of a prime spot in the listening room back home.

Go to the Oppo PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone Review.

Go to the Headphone Roundup Overview for scoring and comparison details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-15, 01:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Ryan

Re: Oppo PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone Review Discussion Thread

Thanks for the review! These seem to be killing it in the reviews lately! They're on the top of my list for a new pair of headphones. Maybe next year, I still got fun stuff I wanna buy for the HT.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-15, 08:51 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Nice review Wayne. Seems they acquitted themselves very nicely for $300, considering you can spend several times that much. I personally don't listen to headphones nearly often enough to justify these (a pair of HiFiMan RE-400 'buds do the job for what I need), but if I listened more often I would have to take a serious look (listen). Thanks.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-15, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Thanks.

They are a nice set of 'phones. Their sound profile is surprisingly similar to the HD 600, another very smooth-sounding headphone.