Replacing headphone for movies/gaming - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-15, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Replacing headphone for movies/gaming

Hello, I am a headphone newbie. I already use an HT system but, aside from applying room correction, Dynamic Volume (for night time) and turning down the volume, I'd still love to crank the volume up on a full-scale surround sound configuration without annoying everyone around me, particularly when I watch movies or game at night. The solution for me is a headphone.

This is my current headphone night time setup:

1.) Denon AVR-1712 > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

Alternatively I can use the following audio setup as well:

2.) Asus Xonar DX Sound Card > O2 Headphone Amp > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

Certain features I'm looking for are:

1.) Open-back
2.) Natural sound
3.) LFE bass (from movies/games)
4.) Comfort/circumaural

I'm replacing Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 because it is:
1.) mostly used for music
2.) closed-back
3.) when plugged into the AVR for certain movies/games, it crackles/clips during noticeable low frequencies, i.e., rumbling deep low bass

My budget is $500 or more. Any advice is appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-15, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Replacing headphone for movies/gaming

It seems headphones for movies/gaming are relatively unpopular in this forum but if anyone wants to chime in, after some googling here are some headphones I'm deciding between the following. I am considering trying them all out but I'd rather narrow down my choices to a couple or few.

$700 - Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla
$550 - Beyerdynamic T90
$300 - HiFiMAN HE-400i
$258 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium/Edition (600 Ohm)
$215 - AKG K7XX Massdrop LE
$60 - Pioneer SE-A1000 (Comparable to $400 Sennheiser HD650, according to Head-Fi members)

My updated order of preference is comfort, bass for movies/games, soundstage, rock/metal music.

They will be powered by AC powered O2 desktop amp + Asus Xonar DX PC sound card instead of direct from the AVR.

Allow me to explain my preferences:

In the evening, without annoying others, I cannot watch action/adventure/war movies (and modern horror movies, i.e. "The Conjuring") and play certain games, that all have very low deep bass, where sounds in this range tend to be felt more than heard. I use my HT speaker system late at night (on dynamic volume) only for movies and games where there aren't much LFE (i.e. drama/thriller/comedy, TV shows).

What prompted me for a new headphone is that it will be used for late-night movies + casual gaming with prevalent sub-bass. I need it to deliver down to 20 Hz bass or below, where I can feel the vibrations from the LFE without hearing much audible sound, enhancing the overall sensation of the bass. I say this in full recognition that no headphones can replicate subwoofers' capability. My old headphone tends to crackle/clip at low sub-bass parts of an action/horror movie at high volume. But then again, it might be just me expecting too much from headphones.

Next, for movies and casual, non-competitive FPS/TPS gaming, I need a bigger and directional soundstage around me, where I am immersed within the environment, not inside my head. Although, I do not want an overly directional soundstage that is tailored for hardcore/competitive FPS gaming (i.e., hearing distant footsteps but lacking sub-bass), I want it to be large enough that the Dolby Headphone and Virtual 7.1 surround sound features of my Asus Xonar DX benefit from a wider soundstage.

I am also considering and sort of hoping, but not at all requiring, that the new headphone can complement rock/metal/indie music competently enough to be an improvement over the DT 770-80's closed soundstage without taking precedence over my bass preference.

Last edited by Stealth3si; 11-28-15 at 01:26 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-15, 11:52 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I'm certainly no headphone expert but I bought some for exactly the same reasons you are looking for some. Why do you prefer open back? With open back style you'll likely still annoy others.

I just went with the Sony PULSE Elite Edition Wireless Stereo Headset and think they are pretty good for the money. The bass impact is also entertaining for gaming and action movies. I have never heard them crackle or clip and music, when not using any of the modes or bass impact, is pretty neutral with slightly rolled off highs and a just a bit more bass. They are also a bit on the heavy side and I'm ready to take 'em off after a 2 hour movie. They are also closed back. The fact that they are wireless is also great for me as I can listen to Pandora and wander around the house doing various odds and ends. The wireless adapter works with just about anything with a USB port or you can use an audio cable.

May not be what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there as an option. They can usually be found for $99.

Mark

post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-15, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I love my AKG 701 headphones, rich clean bass and nice highs. Now is a good time to get some headphones given Black Friday cyber Monday.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-15, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
I'm certainly no headphone expert but I bought some for exactly the same reasons you are looking for some. Why do you prefer open back? With open back style you'll likely still annoy others.

I just went with the Sony PULSE Elite Edition Wireless Stereo Headset and think they are pretty good for the money. The bass impact is also entertaining for gaming and action movies. I have never heard them crackle or clip and music, when not using any of the modes or bass impact, is pretty neutral with slightly rolled off highs and a just a bit more bass. They are also a bit on the heavy side and I'm ready to take 'em off after a 2 hour movie. They are also closed back. The fact that they are wireless is also great for me as I can listen to Pandora and wander around the house doing various odds and ends. The wireless adapter works with just about anything with a USB port or you can use an audio cable.

May not be what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there as an option. They can usually be found for $99.
It is more that I prefer a wider sound stage than an open back. So if a closed back headphone has a wider soundstage then I am ok with that.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-08-15, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I love my AKG 701 headphones, rich clean bass and nice highs. Now is a good time to get some headphones given Black Friday cyber Monday.
I tried the T90, but was not enough sub-bass in the lower regions. I am looking for a movie headphone, with plenty of sub-bass, clear highs/mids and wider soundstage.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-15, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Been look at these: JVC HA-SZ2000/1000, Fostex TH-900/600, Denon AH-D7000, Denon AH-D340, JVC HA-MR77x, Sony xb1000, HPH Yamaha Pro 500, Audio Technica -ATH Pro700mk2, V-MODA Crossfade M-100, Monster Beats DETOX Pro
post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-15, 08:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
If you're looking for some decent gaming headphones I'll recommend the Sony Gold cans as they are great for that. My critical musical headphones are a bit higher price wise but if you're interested the AKG K712 Pro's are amazing.