CARA Forum - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 34 Old 05-06-08, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Re: CARA Forum

Maverick,
The company that makes the software only has/had like 3 people, so support may not be timely. However, someone is obviously working on it, because the most recent update was from only a month ago. Hopefully they will hook you up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 05-06-08, 08:31 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Yeah, hopefully... Without a POP or a license code I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck, though. My previous installation had migrated through several PC upgrades and re-installs via a backup drive. Some time ago I decided to let it go, I could always reinstall later if I needed it... Ironic...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 34 Old 08-25-08, 11:59 AM
Shackster

scot

FYI: Cara's next release is v3.0. It is, of course, over a year late at this point but supposedly they are getting closer. The new version properly understands things like monopole ribbon speakers, rounded surfaces, multiple CPUs and other system enhancement (probably just mmx optimizations).

I haven't heard anything recently from them though. Might want to ask for yourselves.

The one thing I asked about that would really help is a distributed computation capability. Put a network of a few thousand people together and you could have SERIOUS power to calculate rooms...

BTW: the forums were closed due to spam. I sent many options to the admin on how to help with it, free, but they didn't take me up on the offer. Rather than fight the spam they closed the boards, which I am sure hurt the sales of the application.

post #24 of 34 Old 08-25-08, 12:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

My copy never had a license code or anything. I found my copy, so I'm set.

I usually start out with a very wimple room, just the plain walls and speaker/listener setup. This makes optimization alot faster, and allow you to run at a higher resolution (max rays). I can usually confirm my measurements with CARA, but require pretty high max ray setings. ANd somehow (might be random) I get more accurate results with odd number of max rays. No idea why, could be some algorithm artefact.

Note that the default scaling is linear frequency, so it's represented a bit differently from what we're used to from REW.

I've had my copy a long time, and still use it all the time for myself and clients.

Make sure you model your speakers pretty accurately. I used generic subs and got weird results, but after modelling my sonotubes properly (a tall box, driver in bottom, port on top) I got much more accurate results.

post #25 of 34 Old 10-29-08, 11:46 AM
Afi
Afi

I have got my Cara back since new CrossOver makes it work! I tried it many times with wine but it never worked in linux. Do you people know any place where you could get more speaker and furniture models? Any news about new Cara?
post #26 of 34 Old 10-29-08, 12:28 PM
Shackster

scot

Not yet. Give them an email. They are really good about getting back with people.
post #27 of 34 Old 09-17-09, 03:48 PM
Tom

Hello all,

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I just got a copy of CARA 2.2plus (trying to figure it out). I got a license code label stuck inside the CD case, but it wasn't asked for when installing. Running fine on XP in VMWare Fusion on a MacPro.

Does anyone know sources for more 3d objects (furnishings) and especially, absorption coefficients vs frequency for other materials? I'm specifically searching to no avail for coeff vs freq for horizontal faux wood blinds, both open and closed, over glass windows. I'll probably get drapes ultimately, but I'm curious about the blinds.

Thanks,

Tom
post #28 of 34 Old 09-17-09, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

They used to have some at the downloads section of the CARA site. I've never used them, though, just the stuff that came by default.
post #29 of 34 Old 09-30-09, 10:14 AM
gonnatell

Hi, guys! I need ideal reverberation time curve according to AES "Multichannel surround sound systems and operations" at my CARA.
How to narrow default ideal curve after i calculate acoustic ambiance? I also tried to create my one ideal curve but it needs some special formula... Please help
post #30 of 34 Old 10-02-09, 02:05 AM

Quote:
gonnatell wrote: View Post
How to narrow default ideal curve after i calculate acoustic ambiance?
I have the same question.
Does anyone know how to customize the range of ideal curve?