CARA Forum - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

CARA Forum

Hey all,
I just got back into using CARA (Computer Aided Room Acoustics) more and more for work and home. I originally just used it for speaker placement and got good at that, but now I'm trying to experiment more and more with room treatments, pre-build design, and the like.

The original CARA forums are shut down and if they moved anywhere, I can't seem to find them.

So I figured I would start a thread here for people to ask for advice, debugging, or how to interpret results. We are well "indexed" on google, so anyone else looking for CARA help can join up and participate.

Finally, I hate Mega-threads, so this is really an experiment. If it turns out a lot of people start asking questions about CARA, we can ask Sonnie for our own forum

For all I know, there might only be four of us who use the thing!

Any thoughts on the program or experiences to share? I'll start:

Pros:
Powerful program, correlates well with observed measurements, models most wall and floor treatments, nice speaker library (including dipoles), cheap

Cons:
Steep learning curve, garbage in/garbage out, some results hard to interpret, large room calculations take hours to calculate (even on good computers)

Links:
Rhintek: http://www.rhintek.com/cara/cara21desc.php
CARA Homepage: http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 08:16 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Re: CARA Forum

I used to use CARA quite a bit, and still do on occation. I find it's decent for estimating reverb and decay, but not so good at positioning. Even doing a simple room with very many iterations often show some pretty inaccurate results. I LOVE the auralization (or whatever they called it, the preview samples). That give you a good estimate of what got better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Oh, I had the opposite results with placement. I spend several hours one day moving my sub through 20 positions running an REW sweep and repeating to choose the proper one. Did similar things with my mains, but with only about 6 positions each. Found the best places for all.

Then I got CARA about a month later and built a model of the room. Wouldn't you know, it picked the EXACT places I found experimentally. Since it was my first time, it took about the same about of time (2 hours or so), but with much less back breaking effort to move a 100 lb sub around

Now I have a dipole sub, which has been more of a challenge to model. I think I'm going to have to make my own fat panel and tweak its FR to match (even though it's a cone sub).

post #4 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 09:03 AM
Senior Shackster
George

I have used CARA as well. I just wanted to use it for sub placement, but when I built my room and ran the placement within the boundries I suggested, it had the subwoofer in the front third of the room, several feet from the front and side walls, and on a 45 degree angle to the seating. There was no way my wife was going to let me get away with that..

Awesome program though. Very fun to experient with. Still have troubles setting my speaker properties correctly.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 09:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

It has been a while since I've used it but this thread may motivate me to go back and play with the software some more.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."

Last edited by Bob_99; 05-02-08 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 01:00 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Yeah, me too! I'm installing it right now.

post #7 of 34 Old 05-02-08, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Proving that they are still supporting this product, there is an update to both the 3d graphics DLL and CAD executable.

The CAD executable fixes a really annoying bug when you try to add speakers. The 3d graphics module made panning in a complex room much faster. Also, remember to make sure you have hardware acceleration on, if you graphics card is worth its salt. By default it is not on.

Also, there are more materials and a couple of stock absorbers available for download. Remember to add your furniture. My room was supposedly too ringy in the midrange (but I did not observe this). Added the couches and things looked pretty good (which is closer to what I've observed).

Downloads are here:
http://www.cara.de/ENU/patches.html

Materials and absorbers are available on the same site.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-03-08, 01:34 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Cool! Didn't know about the patches! Thanks.

post #9 of 34 Old 05-03-08, 07:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Yes, thanks for the information about the patch. It has been quite a while since they've done anything with the program and I figured it was heading to be an abandoned product. On another note, has anyone installed this on Microsoft Vista? I've had problems with other older products and was just curious to have any information before I do the installation.

Thanks

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #10 of 34 Old 05-03-08, 01:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
Yeah, me too! I'm installing it right now.
Actually... I'm not...

My CARA program disc is gone... I've probably left it on my desk or something sometime. I have the other two, the training disc and the test disc. Anybody care to send me a zipped copy of the contents?
I realize maybe I'm violating some copyright rule on the forum here now , but I do own the software. I have the package and everything but the important program disc...