Do I even need bass traps at all? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Do I even need bass traps at all?

Take a look at my graph below. The only treatment I have is a 13' long couch along the back wall and I purchased 4 packs of 2'x4' panels of 4" 4lb min wool each pack having 4 panels each. so I have a 2'x4'x16" thick package of minwool ONE in each corner sitting on the floor up to the 4' height.

This was my result of my SVS speakers and HSU sub which is located in the front center wall.

I don't have the graph but I removed these 4 packs of minwool and the result was the decay only added about 50ms of decay to the graph below. Like it's effect was minimal at best.

Or is this just saying the bass trapping is not needed at floor level and I need to tray various locations in the room.

My other question is based on the graph below other then the obvious 22hz and below (which I think is some stuff shaking in the room like my ladders leaning on the wall getting ready for paint) do I even need bass trapping?
Attached Thumbnails
Do I even need bass traps at all?-fr.jpg  

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 01:18 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Do I even need bass traps at all?

That does look good. Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).
Chose the file and upload.

I do not think any bass traps work below 30hz.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 02:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Just a beginner myself, but I believe improvements can be made. Frequency response is decent, but there's modal ringing up to about 100Hz causing bass "bloat" and midrange "smearing." Bass traps will help by absorbing that excess energy. In the corners behind the mains will give you best bang-for-the-buck. It's best to treat the corner from floor to ceiling, but add-on as budget allows.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 03:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Just udnerstand you are looking at a 500ms window - most rooms should be more like 300-350ms

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #5 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 05:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Can you move your couch off the wall any?
post #6 of 20 Old 03-02-15, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
the couch is 4" off the wall but I see exactly where you are going with this.

I'll move the couch to the center of the room and try again.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #7 of 20 Old 03-03-15, 07:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Just udnerstand you are looking at a 500ms window - most rooms should be more like 300-350ms
Thanks, Bryan. The graph shows about 150msec of decay over your 350msec threshold. Is that significant? Do you think it's a good response as-is?

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I missed it... bass pressure-zone is against the wall.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-09-15, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

I played around with the sub location and found that the HSU 6" away to the right of the center channel... facing sideways toward the center channel which pretty much gets the woofer centered in room and the sub sitting about 3" away from the rear wall and one port open (the port closest to the wall) gave the most even/loudest results. I gained 10db by moving it 3' and turning it.

I also put the sub 6' out from side wall and 5' out from back wall and according to the SIM part of REW would produces the "flattest" bass and it indeed did... in direct mode without tuning it was VERY flat... but it was sitting in front of my left main speaker so it was unpractical. anywhere else and the 90hz dip moves down to the 40/50 range.

Sub in center gives me a reasonably flat response but the decay falls off below 30hz at 500ms and my room noise sits around 43db. above 30hz the decay becomes gradually less the further up.

I have another graph (red) of just the sub by itself AFTER audyssey.

With these graphs is there any reason to add anymore traps beyond the 4 2x4 4" panels (one in corner each sitting at floor hugging the corner making a triangle)?

Or would more traps help the nulls/dips/peaks in the 100-800hz range? which seems like it's my worse area and main concentration of treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I even need bass traps at all?-subsidewaysfacingleft.jpg  

Do I even need bass traps at all?-sub-center-location-after-audyssey.jpg  

Master Electrician

post #9 of 20 Old 03-09-15, 12:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).

looking at your graphs is okay but some of us like looking at your data another way.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-09-15, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).

looking at your graphs is okay but some of us like looking at your data another way.
Here ya go. This was after placing sub in the location I mentioned and running audyssey. I think bumped the sub hot by 3db also.

Master Electrician