Built my first absorption panels - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: Built my first absorption panels

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
Nice job Talley. I'm looking forward to the build of your diffusion panels. Take progress pics to share!

Ya I may just need to keep this going in my build thread.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 11:32 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post

I'll more than likey get some of the nail in padded protectors that you can get for the bottom of chairs and nail one in each corner so it dampens itself against the wall to prevent any rattling and also to keep the wall protected from scratches
How solidly do you have to mount these to the walls? Can you just hang them on a nail like you would do with a picture frame, or do they need to be solidly attached in all four corners?
post #13 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
bigsausagepizza wrote: View Post
How solidly do you have to mount these to the walls? Can you just hang them on a nail like you would do with a picture frame, or do they need to be solidly attached in all four corners?
I'm just gonna use the picture frame holders. They are not super heavy. You could easily mound these to the wall using the screw in plastic anchors using two of them or just hit some studs. All depends on where they need to be placed.

Let me add and say I wouldn't just hang them w/ a nail but would buy the frame brackets and nail those to the back then use a nail. you know those little zig zaggy things.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

Last edited by Talley; 06-29-15 at 11:58 AM.

post #14 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 04:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
In my room the first reflection points on the ceiling were the same as the side walls. Maybe a selfie stick with a mirror on it?
That sounds better than a laser pointed at reflector tape. I've heard of the tape method, but have neither looked for nor seen any mirror-tape. Is it special like painter's tape so it won't damage the walls when peeled off? What do you think, Talley? Turns the job into a solo affair.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #15 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
That sounds better than a laser pointed at reflector tape. I've heard of the tape method, but have neither looked for nor seen any mirror-tape. Is it special like painter's tape so it won't damage the walls when peeled off? What do you think, Talley? Turns the job into a solo affair.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
Well...... I have a laser level and a tripod. I suppose I could perform the pain of up and down ladder moving the laser around and finding the spot that way. That would work. I wouldn't do mirror tape but would just place the laser on a tripod in the exact MLP spot and then use my wife to move the laser around on the tripod and me moving the mirror around until it hits the tweeter.

I actually like that method better instead of sight. Because me having my wife sit there and say look at the mirror do you see the tweeter and she says yes... then later to find out it was the dog toy in the corner.... the laser would make it easy for me to confirm proper spot and then all she has to do is move the stupid laser around... lol.

I like it!

Master Electrician

post #16 of 26 Old 08-21-15, 12:04 PM
Shackster
Matthew

My System

I like these. Are they frameless on the front?
post #17 of 26 Old 08-22-15, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

There is nothing on the front. It's just the 1x4 material around the edge and some 1x2 backing to keep the insulation from popping through the back. I lined the back with plastic to contain the fibers and then wrapped the front around the sides and stapled to the back with regular staples from an air stapler.

Master Electrician

post #18 of 26 Old 08-22-15, 10:09 AM
Shackster
Matthew

My System

cool. Do you think a cheap lil hand staple gun would do the trick? They don't have electric ones in Thailand and i don't really want to buy an air compressor.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-22-15, 07:34 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
BangkokMatt wrote: View Post
cool. Do you think a cheap lil hand staple gun would do the trick? They don't have electric ones in Thailand and i don't really want to buy an air compressor.
I have used one successfully to re-cloth chair seats, they are surprisingly powerful.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

post #20 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 12:29 AM
Shackster
Todd

My System
Anyone concerned about some of that OC 703 or 705 material/fibers being so exposed to you or others? I mean it's not sealed to prevent any particals from drifting in the air that people breath.
Myself, I don't know the exact composition of that stuff but a self proclaimed professional about flipped out when I mentioned I was planning on using that for acoustic panels.