Built my first absorption panels - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: Built my first absorption panels

Quote:
toadster wrote: View Post
Anyone concerned about some of that OC 703 or 705 material/fibers being so exposed to you or others? I mean it's not sealed to prevent any particals from drifting in the air that people breath.
Myself, I don't know the exact composition of that stuff but a self proclaimed professional about flipped out when I mentioned I was planning on using that for acoustic panels.
I didn't use OC 703 or 705 fiberglass... I used minwool insulation by roxul.

Please read this: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...n-t-fiberglass

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 11:18 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Anyone concerned about some of that OC 703 or 705 material/fibers being so exposed to you or others? I mean it's not sealed to prevent any particals from drifting in the air that people breath.
Myself, I don't know the exact composition of that stuff but a self proclaimed professional about flipped out when I mentioned I was planning on using that for acoustic panels.
I used GOM on the front of mine, and Commando cloth for the rear with the panel material stuffed being Roxul Rockboard.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #23 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 11:26 AM
Shackster
Todd

My System
Great! Thanks for the link.

post #24 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 12:08 PM
Shackster
Todd

My System
I've been doing so much reading on HT acoustics I can't keep track of who said what , what they're using but I will note certain threads I read that pertain to my interest just thought I'd ask about the 703. I'm right at the point where I need to take action on some room treatments, I'm a newb at all this just trying to figure out what to use what to make, bass traps defusers absorbers etc etc. my room is 12x16x8 and my new SW will be here tomorrow :+1::+1: but this guy claims it'll be to much for this room like I can't dial some bass out right? My sub is a dual 12" the kit that PE has, maybe I didn't pick the perfect sub but to late it's coming. I have no measuring equipment for sound but I know I should get somethings. I really liked yr thread any advice or suggestions I'd appreciate it, thanks!
post #25 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 12:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
I've been doing so much reading on HT acoustics I can't keep track of who said what , what they're using but I will note certain threads I read that pertain to my interest just thought I'd ask about the 703. I'm right at the point where I need to take action on some room treatments, I'm a newb at all this just trying to figure out what to use what to make, bass traps defusers absorbers etc etc. my room is 12x16x8 and my new SW will be here tomorrow :+1::+1: but this guy claims it'll be to much for this room like I can't dial some bass out right? My sub is a dual 12" the kit that PE has, maybe I didn't pick the perfect sub but to late it's coming. I have no measuring equipment for sound but I know I should get somethings. I really liked yr thread any advice or suggestions I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Too much sub? That's a good problem to have. More sub equals more headroom in my book, which essentially means your subs are going to have an easier time hitting appropriate levels in your space with spare room for dynamics. Just follow some basic sub set-up procedures (and invest in an SPL meter) and you'll be happy with the result. If you really want to dial it in, you can invest in an outboard EQ device and use REW to EQ the sub.

Your best bet for traps is to find a good guidelines thread and follow the steps. Maybe some of the members in the thread can point you in a good direction. Essentially, you want thick coverage in the corners with FRK facing on panels in the back of your room. You'll also want to treat your side walls' first reflection points. It's all relatively easy to do...does require some investment, though. You can 703 panels for DIY projects directly from GIK Acoustics. They'll ship it right to your door at a reasonable price.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-03-15, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

So far I've only put up about 20sqft area worth of absorption in my room.... zero bass traps. My uncle had over 10k worth of ASC tube traps in his room and noted that they sucked the bass out and slowly removed each one until it sounded good.... he has 1 left in the center of his room behind his head and thats it.

I'm not saying bass traps aren't needed... and maybe I do need them but I think it's wrong for someone to start off with just loading their room full of bass traps.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"