Built my first absorption panels - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 06-28-15, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Built my first absorption panels

Nothing fancy but built a few panels today. I won't need too much more absorption but this will do for now. I'll start building some diffusion stuff next. Time for trial/error on placement.
Attached Thumbnails
Built my first absorption panels-20150628_193402.jpg  

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-28-15, 08:01 PM

Ron

My System
Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Nothing fancy but built a few panels today. I won't need too much more absorption but this will do for now. I'll start building some diffusion stuff next. Time for trial/error on placement.
Did you build enough for all your first reflection points? Don't forget to re run your room tune software after each mod.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 26 Old 06-28-15, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: Built my first absorption panels

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Did you build enough for all your first reflection points? Don't forget to re run your room tune software after each mod.
My idea because of my room layout means I need the side wall first reflection points to be on stands. I'm going to try a Polycylindrical Diffuser on a stand with an absorption panel on the backside. These will be 2x4 in size and sit off the wall about 18".

Since my room is a cathedral I'm having some issues locating first points. Most are 2nd+. I'm trying to get the wife to help me out w/ the mirror trick to hit the cathedral part.

My plan is 15% covering with absorption and 30% diffusion. It's really not alot of space since the screen takes up alot of area and the backwall the couch runs the length of it.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

post #4 of 26 Old 06-28-15, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

and the fact I'm running krell-less on a backup denon x1100w means I won't hear any differences anyway.

...watching very very closely for a priced right XMC-1 right now.

Master Electrician

post #5 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 12:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Kyle

Question Re: Built my first absorption panels

Quote:
Were do you buy the material for these?? I need a cheap cheap way to DO this. Aurolex is too expensive.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 01:03 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
My idea because of my room layout means I need the side wall first reflection points to be on stands. I'm going to try a Polycylindrical Diffuser on a stand with an absorption panel on the backside. These will be 2x4 in size and sit off the wall about 18".

Since my room is a cathedral I'm having some issues locating first points. Most are 2nd+. I'm trying to get the wife to help me out w/ the mirror trick to hit the cathedral part.

My plan is 15% covering with absorption and 30% diffusion. It's really not alot of space since the screen takes up alot of area and the backwall the couch runs the length of it.
In my room the first reflection points on the ceiling were the same as the side walls. Maybe a selfie stick with a mirror on it?

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #7 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
kingnoob wrote: View Post
Were do you buy the material for these?? I need a cheap cheap way to DO this. Aurolex is too expensive.
I got the 4" 4lb density minwool material from a local supplier. 16ea of 2x4 panels for 108 bucks. No way in the world would I need this much unless I make some thick heavy duty bass traps but for the price why not. The wood is just furring strips at lowes. I use furring strips because it was being covered up and it was cheap. 1x4 furring strips for the frame and then I put 1x2 furring strips on the back at intervals to contain the minwool panel I also used black plastic on the back to contain the fibers. The fabric I got on clearance at a local fabric store and got 18yds of fabric for 38 bucks.

What you see there cost me about $50 to build. Not bad imho.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
In my room the first reflection points on the ceiling were the same as the side walls. Maybe a selfie stick with a mirror on it?
Ya I'm dealing with some oddball angles w/ my room layout so the biggest area of concerns where most my problems are is along the crown molding all along the room is heavy focused reflection points. The cathedral ceiling above the screen/speakers is only reflecting 2nd/3rd waves back to me while the ceiling above the couch is really directing all the first wave stuff down to me. The angle of the cathedral ceiling and the wall where the crown sits really amplifies the reflections it's very bad. I will be placing the 1x4 strips along the crown in the back and on the other side of the room by the screen be placing duffusion strips along the crown on each side of the screen.

The 2x2 square will be placed at the rear surround reflection point to my ear... it's really close to the wall so I think I'll gain alot by placing the 2x2 panel there. It's a long shot but my hope is that the placement will be right in front of each speaker and this would eliminate alot from bouncing back toward the front wall. I will be making another 1x4 absorption panel to be placed directly behind my head right above the couch and this will absorb alot there since my head is about 18-24" away from the wall I think absorption will work out good. Above that I will build a standard 4'x8' array of diffustion the QRD style this will go between the projector and the 1x4 strip.

My goal is a $500 complete room treatment all DIY.

Master Electrician

post #8 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 09:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Just wanted to say I like the work you've done here!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #9 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
BlueRockinLou wrote: View Post
Just wanted to say I like the work you've done here!
Thanks! I try to do everything myself if I can.

One thing about the panels... I'm not much of a fabric person but this is the backside. I basically laid a 3mil black trashback over the panel then pressed in the minwool down then cut off the excess around the edges on the front then wrapped the fabric over and did the best I could to keep it tight and even. I'm not much for cosmetics as long as it works.

The plastic will keep the minwool fibers contained so this should be good to go. Just need to get some hanger brackets put on it so I can hang them like picture frames.

I'll more than likey get some of the nail in padded protectors that you can get for the bottom of chairs and nail one in each corner so it dampens itself against the wall to prevent any rattling and also to keep the wall protected from scratches
Attached Thumbnails
Built my first absorption panels-11703015_10205760781156905_243126326451752670_n.jpg  

Master Electrician

post #10 of 26 Old 06-29-15, 09:56 AM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
Nice job Talley. I'm looking forward to the build of your diffusion panels. Take progress pics to share!