Working with this room.... - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 30 Old 10-06-08, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Re: Working with this room....

Bah, not happy with this so far. I filled up the front left corner with a Super-Duper-Chunk, *and* added my two diagphragmatic absorbers to the corners in the dining room. I took measurements from beginning to end. First with the mic at the mouth of the Wicked One (Purple), then with half SDC, full SDC, full SDC +1 CWAL, full SDC +2 CWAL. The final measurement (RED) is pretty much buried in the pile of unchange. I can't account for the dip in the (Gold) line, that was with a full SDC and I re-measured 3 times only to get pretty much the same measurement each time.

Kinda dissapointed with the lack of change with all the absorption I have going on in the corners right now. I was hoping for at least a little smoothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 10-06-08, 09:02 PM
Banned!

With a 20dB swing to begin with, you're asking a lot of the absorption. You'll want to play around with your sub/mains positioning first. Is your crossover 80HZ? That may account for some of the weirdness at that point (phase problems).
post #23 of 30 Old 10-06-08, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
With a 20dB swing to begin with, you're asking a lot of the absorption. You'll want to play around with your sub/mains positioning first. Is your crossover 80HZ? That may account for some of the weirdness at that point (phase problems).

Except for raising the mains upwards as Bryan recommended, I've moved them as much as I can with the space I have. They are in a position that gives me the least dead spots without too many peaks.

The sub got flipped around the room for a whole week. I've tried left of mains (where it is now) facing left, right, forward, and up (I don't have feet to face the horn down). I've tried behind the mains all up and down the fall facing left, right, and up. And I've streched the cords as far as I could go and done all sorts of odd positions all across the room that I would never use, but just for grins to see how it measured. The current spot, left of the sofa on the left wall, firing forward (towards the mains) gives me the best response overall without too many dips. Most of the positions in the room had dead spots across the seats that were so low the line fell off the bottom of the chart.

I'm wondering if maybe reversing the speaker cable at the amp (e.g reversing phase 180) would help any....

Oh, and the receiver is crossed over at 90...that's the only option that I have, and it's built into the receiver. I'm sure I'll have more options once I upgrade the receiver, but I want to deal with getting an HD projector and 2.40:1 screen first.

My head is spinning right now...I played some "bass test" videos on YouTube (some well done ones out there, but most are bass heavy electronic music). The sound was huge and it's easy to hear the peaks in my sound at 30-40Hz.

I put my hand and ear up to the diagphragmatic absorbers and I could clearly feel them vibrating in sympathy with some sub-40Hz notes...so they must be doing *something*.

post #24 of 30 Old 10-06-08, 10:11 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Unfortunately, I doubt the diaphragms are doing much. By the time you get enough mass on the front panel to tune them that low, they become very inefficient requiring 3-4x the surface area. Just a fact of life.

If you want something more efficient, try a depth of 6-8" filled with insulation up to 1/2" of the face and then try something like some 3/16 or 1/4" Lexan.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #25 of 30 Old 10-06-08, 11:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Here is a general idea of what I might do.
Attached Thumbnails
Working with this room....-p1069609937-4_2.jpg  

post #26 of 30 Old 10-07-08, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

That would only give me a room about 9.5' wide. That would kinda suck unless it was just a loveseat and lots of sound treatment.

I'll wait to build my own cave till I have a truly dedicated room big enough to toy with, and secluded enough to make anything I want out of it without affecting the rest of the house.
post #27 of 30 Old 10-07-08, 01:22 AM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Quote:
My head is spinning right now...
Its time to put on those herringbone socks, crack open a beer and put on some music (something light on bass??).
post #28 of 30 Old 10-07-08, 01:37 AM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Quote:
If you want something more efficient, try a depth of 6-8" filled with insulation up to 1/2" of the face and then try something like some 3/16 or 1/4" Lexan.
Bryan. I'm trying to follow your reasoning here. Are you recommending a more flexible facing material so that if flexes more at the resonant frequancy and this becomes more efficient?
post #29 of 30 Old 10-07-08, 07:21 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

If there is tolerance for that idea and HT performance can take precedent over the openness of the space, that will be much better controlled and better performing. It's a huge change to the floorplan though.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #30 of 30 Old 10-07-08, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
If there is tolerance for that idea and HT performance can take precedent over the openness of the space, that will be much better controlled and better performing. It's a huge change to the floorplan though.

Bryan
Oh, I agree completely. Back when I was a two channel nut, that's all I ever dreamed about after having been in a property treated room and really hearing music...truly holographic, layered, beautiful music.

That's just not an option right now.

Maybe in a few years I can save up and rebuild the basement (poorly finished, but livable). But then I'd have to give up my "guitar room" and have to deal with short ceilings and pipes and vents and all that.

So for now, I work with what I have, and I learn as much as I can from the clever folks here.