DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 01-01-16, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?

After measuring my space I find that it would be space prohibitive to build a frame. Therefore I will cut the pieces like the image below to maintain a 4" airgap and have 24" of face. I'll glue the pieces together to maintain rigidness and just glue some fabric to the sides. I want a flush look.

My rough math says this pattern after reusing the cut off portions would only take 2 of the 2'x4'x4" panels to make my desired 6' in height. OR I can use 3 pieces and this would yield me a 8' 4" tall panel or basically 8' w/ a tad left over. I'm minimizing waste and leaving an airgap and keeping the total thickness to 8" which is what I want to try first. I'll probably make these 24" tall and then I can just stack them. We'll see.

either way no wood.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?-basstrap-design.jpg  

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-02-16, 02:49 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Not sure if this will help you or not, I made these removable rear corner broadband bass traps:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post19993984

I cover the fronts with Kraft paper, as I don't need to over absorb the sonic energy from the room everywhere, so reflect the mids-highs back into the room

wide rear view

recent close up, I use the shelf as a display of HT "stuff"

video clip showing they are moveable

Here's my front wall corner broadband bass traps also, minimum framing method

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1312693-diy-construction-methods-hang-able-acoustic-panels-moveable-corner-traps-not-fixed-frames-4.html#post20588838
From that thread
Quote:
A quick re-cap on my Front wall corner superchunk with "green" material, these were built 4/2011 thru 6/2011...slow but steady:

Cutting lots and lots of 24" x 24" x 34" triangles....nice to have non-itchy stuff.

Made a mid-support from 3/4" OSB to hold 2/3's of them 36" off the floor.
I did this as part of my front fabric mounting strategy as mid-support of the drywall corner edging and also just in case I ever wanted to tuck a sub there for whatever reason.

Top ones stacked, this is how it was for the 5/14 HEMI meet.

Post meet work, I realized the front wall speaker wires and side wall subwoofer coax needed to be moved....when building the HT I did not know about bass traps.
Cut and re-locate to 29" from the corner....use scrap wood as backer....tape/mud/paint....everything takes time.....

Instead of making a fabric frame, I used drywall corner edge and wrapped the fabric behind that.
Bend them from 90deg to 45deg by hand, went ok.
Also, used kraft paper to reflect mid/hi freq like my other bass traps, just cut and tuck tight.

The fabric was cut with 4" extra top/bottom, and 2.5" each side.
Initially I pinned the top for hanging, then tucked that under the ceiling.

Used plastic putty knife to tuck the sides.
I designed the drywall edge to be 1/8" off the wall, and then tucked the fabric behind that and the cut triangles.
A decent friction fit that stretched taught.

Done and absorbing some of those reflecting LFE!

This method was easy to do, an alternative to making the fabric frame and mounting that.
Yes, I took measurements and will post them.
2nd row is almost deal flat across the LFE zone, 1st row not as good.

I also did freq listening of sub test tones with the RS db meter to grasp the chart to real life, a worthwhile thing to do, helps tie graphs to sound.

Mike R,P.E.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 01-02-16 at 03:17 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-02-16, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Built two panels.... 24" wide angle cut to sit flush with wall and 6 feet tall. Self supportive and just layed in the corner and a thumb tack to hold in place. Nothing fancy.

Maybe I need to re-run Dirac now?

Overall it didn't really graph too much difference. Brought the entire decay down by about 2db is all. removed a couple of nulls at 100hz and 180hz by 12db... still a null but not such a dramatic peak. Soundstage has an airy feel to it but it's nothing dramatic.

I spent about 2hrs making them. Not sure if it was worth the effort. Maybe they weren't big enough? Seem to of made a differnce a tad at 16hz though which is weird. In the process I found a big tall vase in my room was a culprit of the 70hz ringing... it still rings at 70hz but it falls off now to 350ms instead of ringing STRONG like crazy forever. Need to fill that thing with insulation so it'll absorb at 70 .
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?-photo-jan-02-7-22-54-pm.jpg  

DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?-photo-jan-02-7-23-10-pm.jpg  

Master Electrician

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

post #14 of 27 Old 01-02-16, 07:59 PM

Ron

My System

Anytime you make changes to the room...you need to rerun your room tune software.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #15 of 27 Old 01-02-16, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Anytime you make changes to the room...you need to rerun your room tune software.
Will do Need to get the kids in bed first... need mo quiet.

Master Electrician

post #16 of 27 Old 01-03-16, 09:01 AM
Shackster

My System

What a great thread! So informative, I made some bass tube traps, but I think I may tackle a couple of these...Thanks Talley!
post #17 of 27 Old 01-03-16, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Well I would do some more testing listening but I found out my firmware on the XMC was FW 2 and they have 3 so I decided to upgrade it last night and poof.... it bricked. Yay me.

or not.

Master Electrician

post #18 of 27 Old 01-03-16, 01:36 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Well I would do some more testing listening but I found out my firmware on the XMC was FW 2 and they have 3 so I decided to upgrade it last night and poof.... it bricked. Yay me.

or not.
That is what I don't like about firmware updates... I had the same thing happen on a PS3 (luckily it was still under warranty). Hopefully yours is still covered.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #19 of 27 Old 01-03-16, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
That is what I don't like about firmware updates... I had the same thing happen on a PS3 (luckily it was still under warranty). Hopefully yours is still covered.
It is. I still have the Denon X4000 that has been boxed up since june that I never sent off for warranty.... I may limp on it if it decides to not suddently shut off all the time. I'm plagued with .

Sucks I was about to treat my front wall and ceiling and was going to use REW to find the sweet spots. I suppose that denon could work for me for now. Or I can use my office Denon cheapo just for applying treatments.

ya may just do that for the time being.

Master Electrician

post #20 of 27 Old 01-04-16, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Correction: fixed the XMC. Figured out how to do a hard reset and gained control again and the second attempt worked so now on Fw 3.0.

Glad that worked out. I'll rerun Dirac tomorrow and test again.

Master Electrician