DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?

I'm going to break down and build two bass traps so I can test them out and see how they interact with my room. My plan right now is to build two corner traps 6 feet tall that will basically free stand and fit into the corner. I will build a frame like a windows box using 1x10 on all the sides around and I will use two layers of 4" rockwool. These are standard 24"x48"x4" 4lb density panels and will cut them to 18" in size. This is only because my space will not allow for a full 24" across diagonally in the corners so I need to chop it down to 18".

My simple question is this. Do I glue the two panels together for one solid 8" thick piece with an airgap behind them or should I place a small airgap between them of 1" isolating the panels form eachother using some furring strip material (green) See my image on my proposed idea.

What is more effective... solid 8" or having the airgap?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?-basstrap.jpg  

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 11:58 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?

Don't bother gluing them but have all the thickness as far out as you can get and leave all the gap in the rear close to the corner.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Don't bother gluing them but have all the thickness as far out as you can get and leave all the gap in the rear close to the corner.
Well that should make things easier lol. Thanks!

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

post #4 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 01:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I would use the cut off pieces to make a third row! I would piece them together on the back of the second layer (in between would be even better if you have enough) of Rockwool.

I don't see the benefit of the 1x10's. What is your rational for that? I would expect them to reflect a portion of the bass wave negating the effect of the air gap which is very important. The depth of the air gap is what determines which part of the wave returns through the trap. Correct me if I'm wrong here! I'll be in the same boat soon.

Last edited by Tonto; 12-31-15 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 01:31 PM

Ron

My System

When I made mine... I just cut triangles, and stacked them (floor to ceiling), and then made a 3/4x3/4" wood frame that I covered them with (fabric wrapped). You can just angle cut the wood frame if you want the corners to be flush with the frame...which is much easier IMO than trying to cut angles in the Rockboard.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #6 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I would use the cut off pieces to make a third row! I would piece them together on the back of the second layer (in between would be even better if you have enough) of Rockwool.

I don't see the benefit of the 1x10's. What is your rational for that? I would expect them to reflect a portion of the bass wave negating the effect of the air gap which is very important. The depth of the air gap is what determines which part of the wave returns through the trap. Correct me if I'm wrong here! I'll be in the same boat soon.
I'm making a stand alone bass trap that I can move around if need be. The 1x10 will just make it sturdy so it can stand upright by itself. I will have all sides wrapped in fabric. I don't think your following what I was thinking so I'll just post up photos this weekend of me making some.

Do I have enough?... I hope so Place locally sells this much for $120 out the door
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Bass trap this weekend project - Got a ?-20150114_121035small.jpg  

Master Electrician

post #7 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
When I made mine... I just cut triangles, and stacked them (floor to ceiling), and then made a 3/4x3/4" wood frame that I covered them with (fabric wrapped). You can just angle cut the wood frame if you want the corners to be flush with the frame...which is much easier IMO than trying to cut angles in the Rockboard.
I need to be able to move it around. It's not a permanent dedicated room so if the occasion needed for me to move them then I must. anything on walls/ceiling is OK to leave but anything resting on floor needs to be able to move. I'll just do a simple box frame and wrap both sides with fabric just the same I did for my absorption panels. Just a single 6' tall 8" thick panel and have it placed in the corner and secured with some brackets.

Master Electrician

post #8 of 27 Old 12-31-15, 03:54 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
I'm making a stand alone bass trap that I can move around if need be. The 1x10 will just make it sturdy so it can stand upright by itself. I will have all sides wrapped in fabric. I don't think your following what I was thinking so I'll just post up photos this weekend of me making some.
I would use 3/4 x 3/4" wood and make a space frame...stuff it, and then cover with fabric....it will be much lighter. The old Tube Traps used to be made with round end caps, and a chicken coupe style wire wrapped in fabric...yours could be made similarly, but with a triangle shape and thin peaces of wood for support, hence the 3/4" suggestion.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #9 of 27 Old 01-01-16, 10:23 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I'm with ellisr63, small, light frame. If you are worried about structural stability you could staple some small triangular pieces of something like 1/4" plywood in the corners of the frames. You could also build two 4ft traps & stack them.

The bottom line is the performance of the absorption without losing the enhancement of the air gap. I'm hoping Bryan will chime in on his perspective as one of my corners will be portable as well. The back, right corner of my room has the door to my equipment room in the way! Thanks for sharing your build!
post #10 of 27 Old 01-01-16, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I would use 3/4 x 3/4" wood and make a space frame...stuff it, and then cover with fabric....it will be much lighter. The old Tube Traps used to be made with round end caps, and a chicken coupe style wire wrapped in fabric...yours could be made similarly, but with a triangle shape and thin peaces of wood for support, hence the 3/4" suggestion.
I wouldn't think the 3/4x3/4 would be strong enough. I bought some 1x3 material (3/4x2.5) that I was going to use. I may have to think about using some 1x2 instead. 1x2 furring strips are cheap like .70ea. frame would drop down to just a few dollars.

Well... I can always rip the 1x3 in half and get 3/4 x 1.25. Ya I'll probably do that since I already have the 1x3 plus I use the 1x3 for building the poly's which I need to make about 10 more poly panels to finish my ceiling

I think in the end my result will be poly's in the ceiling... qrd on side wall and along front wall but have a poly between the left main/center and righ main/center when listening to music and one poly at the main reflection on sidewall. Small 1'x2' QRD panels on the floor about 10 of those so I can lay them down for critical music and then pick them up for movie stuff.

Tomorrow will be the bass trap build.

Master Electrician