BroadBand Bass Trap's Build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 175 Old 01-18-09, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Re: BroadBand Bass Trap's Build

I finnished some of my flutter echo tiles today, I built some 3ft long tiles and stained them black with A gloss clear coat, these ones will be hung from the very top of the side walls but slightly angled down & placed near the side surround speaker position as A starting point....further room analysis with Acoustisoft R+D will help determine there final position...

If any one is looking for some good info on room Acoustics & Treatment the Forth Edition MASTER HANDBOOK OF ACOUSTICS is A must and where I have sourced much of my Ideas such as these Flutter Echo Diffusors.. But it should be Noted that this book does not give you the exact messurments of well depth and well width for IE: Flutter Echo Diffusors but does provide the mathamatical tools to help work it all out....

In the near future I will build some nested BroadBand Diffusors but they will have to wait untill I have finnished the rest of my Flutter Echo Diffusors ....

The well sequence and depth to make your own Flutter Echo Diffusors are as follows

The width of each well is 10mm with A 3-4mm wide fin...(quadratic residue sequence 0,1,4,2,2,4,1 prime number of 7)
1. The first is 0mm
2. Then 5mm deep well..
3. Then 3-4mm fin followed by A 20mm deep well
4. Then 3-4mm fin followed by A 10mm deep well
5. Then 3-4mm fin followed by A 10mm deep well
6. Then 3-4mm fin followed by A 20mm deep well
7. Then 3-4mm fin followed by A 5mm deep well
8. Then last is 0mm...

See the Picture I have Attached for the layout Dimentions...

I should menton that you MUST route groves in the back of the hard wood to releave the tention in the hard wood coursed by routing the Wells in the Front in order to stop warping....
Also To make these Diffusers Takes wood working skill and is very labour intensive ...

Cheers.....
Attached Thumbnails
BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-3-black-stained-flutter-echo-tile.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-closeup-3-black-stained-flutter-echo.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-master-acoustics-handbook.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-flutter-echo-tile-size.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-nested-broad-band-diffusor.jpg  

Last edited by cinema mad; 01-18-09 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 175 Old 01-18-09, 05:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

They're much smaller than I imagined..
How many of those strips do you place in each position?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #33 of 175 Old 01-18-09, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

To Diffuse horizontaly they are hung verticaly so as A starting point mine will be hung verticaly, In most case's the first row of Diffusors at the top are hung verticaly and then underneath that they are hung horizontaly..

The total width of the Flutter echo tile is 4", But if you wanted you could repeat the Quadratic Residue Sequence but this would need to inclued the seventh well that is formed when the Tile is placed together......

What do you think of the Finnish on the Tasman Oak ?, I am happy with it....
Cheers....

post #34 of 175 Old 01-19-09, 04:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Yeah..looks good..
What did you use to get that colour?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #35 of 175 Old 01-19-09, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Thanks Prof,

To stain the Tasman Oak hard wood I used 500ml Wattyl professional stain "Black" and the clear Gloss was 1lt Wattyl Estapol Gloss, Polyurethane Based... Purchased from Bunnings

I loved the red wood stains but wouldnt go with my Black walls, I dont want the Diffusors to stand out to much...

Cheers....
post #36 of 175 Old 01-20-09, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Here is A picture of the V cut into the back of the Flutter Echo Diffusor tiles to help stop warping caused by the wells in the front of the Diffusors...

Cheers....
Attached Thumbnails
BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-dscf0702.jpg  

post #37 of 175 Old 01-20-09, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Couple of Pictures of A ROUGH setup to give you an idea of where and how they will be placed, In the Final setup The Diffusors will all be custom cut to fit the exact hight/length needed for A perfect fit...

It is important to note that The Flutter Echo tiles will be placed at Ceiling hight and one 4" wide continuous Diffusor will be hung horizontaly at the top where the ceiling and side walls meet and slightly tilted down all the way along the left and right side walls in the room, underneath them the diffusors will be hung Verticaly in carefully chosen places.....

IMO Diffusion is often overlooked by most & is just as important as Absorbtion, and can be as affective if applyed correctly....
QUOTE "Its Application converts small rooms with flat parellel sufaces into functional spaces with good SPEECH INTELLIGIBILITY, SOUND QUALITY,AND A NATURAL,COMFORTABLE AMBIANCE....

The down side of Diffuson is that it is much more complexed to design build and apply than Absorbtion and it costs more to manfacture....

Cheers....
Attached Thumbnails
BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-dscf0711.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-dscf0713.jpg  

post #38 of 175 Old 01-20-09, 04:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looking good, Jason! Do you notice an improvement in the sound with the tiles in place?

We're all in this together!

post #39 of 175 Old 01-20-09, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi Mike And thanks for your complement...

I only put them up today Roughly so I could post pictures, so I have'nt put them through there paces But I left them in place for now because I Have Eagle EYE on Blu-Ray so I will let you know what I think....

I have to make heaps more to the required length before I can install them permanetly and
so they hopefully look like they belong, unlike the above picture of the Diffusors placed around the surround speakers ... I got another 20mt of Tasman oak today and have already used around 15mt I would say I will end up using 40-50mt of the stuff ....

Cheers....
post #40 of 175 Old 01-20-09, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

I bought some Tassie Oak before Christmas, it's not cheap...

Did you keep the shavings to do some home smoking? My local sawmill used to put a 20kg bag of sawdust aside for me in return for a couple of smoked trout!