BroadBand Bass Trap's Build - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 175 Old 02-02-09, 11:17 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: BroadBand Bass Trap's Build

I have textured walls if that counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 175 Old 02-04-09, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Finnished 4 diffusors & frames 2x4ft & 2x3ft with 4 Flutter Echo tiles per frame...
They will be hung slightly angled down.. They are mounted from A peace of 25mm x 32mm hard wood screwed into the stud of the wall then the mount on the back of each frame is simply hung off it....But the Diffusor mount is not fixed in place on the back of frame untill I check were the wall studs are so I can determine exactly where to mount it to the back...

I will mount them tomorrow and post some pictures of them in place & now that I have Acoustisofts RplusD software I will be able to check the theatres acoustic performance & placement of my room treatments thus far ....

Cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-3ft-diffusor-clamping-frame.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-closeup-fram-corner.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-diffusor-mount-brace.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-side-view-mount-brace.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-finnished-diffusor.jpg  

Last edited by cinema mad; 02-04-09 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added more..
post #63 of 175 Old 02-05-09, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Couple of pictures of the Diffusor panels mounted Next to the left & right side Surround speakers next to the Rear corner BroadBand bass traps & first reflection point traps for the second row.. But will be Repositioned to suit the smaller Bipole surround speakers when in place....

Because this is only A 5.1 set up there will be Bipole surrounds placed between the first and second row of seats and the larger 3way mono pole surround speakers picture will be placed at the rear for A 7.1 setup and the new theatre seats for the back row will be placed 2' to 3' of the rear wall...

Note that where the smaller 3' diffusors have been placed is close to the recommended 52% from back wall placement position ...

Cheers....
Attached Thumbnails
BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-left-side-surrounds-speakers.jpg  

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-right-side-surround-speakers.jpg  

Last edited by cinema mad; 02-05-09 at 06:40 AM.

post #64 of 175 Old 02-05-09, 02:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Fred

They look really good mounted in place.
post #65 of 175 Old 02-05-09, 04:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Looking good Jason...
I'll be interested to hear your evaluation of their performance..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #66 of 175 Old 02-11-09, 09:53 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Looking good Jason...
I'll be interested to hear your evaluation of their performance..

+1. Have you tried clapping or having someone else clap to see if you hear the difference?
post #67 of 175 Old 02-11-09, 12:13 PM
Senior Shackster
Raven

Jason, those look great!

I built something similar from MDF years ago, and I want to use them on the back wall to kill flutter echo...but many of the acoustic experts tell me I'm wasting my time with diffusion...that I should just put up a bunch of absorption and be done with it...

But I've always had my audio rooms built with lots of diffusion to give a very live sound, and then only used absorption to deal with trouble frequencies and the low end peaks and nulls.

Here is what I have currently (sold most of my diffusers just before I moved):

Mine are 4" deep, so they are a bit more broadband than yours, but they are also 60+lbs if I remember correctly. I'm doubting I'll be able to hang them on the wall the way I'd like to.

I'm really liking your builds and would love to copy them, though I don't have a router table. I may just have to use a table saw for similar results.

I'll be following this thread to see how you like the diffusion throughout your theater...I'm finishing up my first 7.1 setup, and stuck with the diffusion/absorption. Hopefully following your thread will help me figure out where I'm going to go from here.

Great thread by the way!
post #68 of 175 Old 02-11-09, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi Lonely Raven & thanks for your post,

Wow Your QRD Diffusors look great , Have you ever used them??

The reason I used A shallow well QRD design is because of the close facinity of the seating, the deeper the well of A QRD Diffusor the further away you should sit to alow optimum Diffusing performance...

Yes I have heard the same type of comments from A couple of Acoustic experts, I think it goes without saying that Absorbtion will give the most noticable improvement to A point but both Absorbtion & Diffusion are just as important in obtaining A well balanced lively ambient sound..

The problem is Knowing what Types of diffusors/Absorbers will work best given the room you are trying to treat inc seating positions in accomplishing A good result...
Although there is A general rule of thumb for Absorbtion placement areas I think Room Acoustic software is A overlooked & vital part of the equation in helping to get A well balanced sound ....

FWIW I am playing with Acoustisoft's RplusD software at the moment and having Doug Plumb perform A consultation...

More Diffusors to come stay tuned: next Skyline Diffusor

Cheers....
post #69 of 175 Old 02-11-09, 11:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Raven

I have used those diffusers a little. I used them between my main speakers when I was doing two channel listening. I also used several larger QRDs built from the Decware plans along the side walls. I never got enough made to do any on the back wall of my listening room, and wound up selling all but these two units before I moved.

I really enjoyed the live sound of a bunch of QRDs. I had enough to give the discs I listened to added reverb...some may think too much.

Which makes me wonder how it's going to work for you, with 7.1 speakers all throwing sound into diffusers...
post #70 of 175 Old 02-12-09, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

At the moment I only have A 5.1 set up so the Diffusors work fine but I will soon Mount some Dipole surounds on the Sides and move the 3way Mono poles to the rear for 7.1, then I will have to reposition the Flutter Echo Diffusors on the back wall or something as I know they cant stay near those Diples ...

Cheers....