BroadBand Bass Trap's Build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 175 Old 11-03-08, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build

For Any One that is interested in Building there own PRO LOOKING Corner Mounted BroadBand Bass Traps take A look down A few posts for Some Ideas and What I came UP with.....

I went with Ultratel 50mm thick 1200x2400 semi rigid fiberglass for my bass traps the packs came in lots of 3 sheets per pack, it's very pricey at A retail price of over $300 per pack , I was luckily able to get the Ultratel direct from bradfords .... I made my Bass traps 8ft high X 690mm wide and 6in thick (3 layers),I put them across the corners so ended up with an air gap being 16in out from the wall corner to the front of the trap's.. Here are some pictures of the front Bass traps.....

Hope this helps....

Cheers.....

Last edited by cinema mad; 11-17-08 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added more..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 175 Old 11-03-08, 04:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Bass trap questions

Quote:
cinema mad wrote: View Post
I went with Ultratel 50mm thick 1200x2400 semi rigid fiberglass for my bass traps the packs came in lots of 3 sheets per pack, it's very pricey at A retail price of over $300 per pack ,
That is expensive!!..I got the 50mm. Supertel sheets for about $60.00 each..

Quote:
I made my Bass traps 8ft high X 690mm wide and 6in thick (3 layers),I put them across the corners so ended up with an air gap being 16in out from the wall corner to the front of the trap's.. Here are some pictures of the front Bass traps.....
So all three layers were 690mm. wide?..That would leave quite a gap between the panels and the corner..
I don't know if that would be beneficial or detrimental to the performance of the traps,considering that the wedge type traps are right in the corner..
Brian might be able to throw some light on that..

Quote:
Hope this helps... It appears that my 1024x768 jpeg pictures will not upload it thinks they are 1200x1000 Works fine on AVS...
I normally load photos at 800x600 without a problem..You might have to resize them..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 175 Old 11-03-08, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi PROF, For A pack of 3 Ultratel 1200x2400 x50mm (2in) thick is over $300au retail but I did'nt pay that Direct from CSR Bradfords, Bradfords wont deal direct to the public only Trade or suppliers.... the Specs for 50mm Ultratel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz, while 50mm Supertel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz... So if you X that by 3 (150mm thick) Ultratel is the way to go for this type of Bass traps...

Own's Corning 2" plain 705 is 6.0pcf,96kg/m3 and [email protected] 125hz..
The Same Own's Corning plain 2" 705 with A 16" air gap is [email protected] 125hz, so as you can see with A 16" air gap from the wall 705's performance is more than 3 times better than flat on A wall....

To up the efficiency/performance of these type of corner bass traps An air gap is A must......Also noted in the fourth Edition of Master Handbook of Acoustics... Thankyou for the tip for uploading photos Prof

Here is A 750x562 picture of my front Corner Bass traps....

Cheers....

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-corner-bass-traps.jpg

Last edited by Mike P.; 11-17-08 at 12:01 AM.

post #4 of 175 Old 11-03-08, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

I first made A frame 690mm wide x just under 8ft high, I covered the front with 1 large piece of Black speaker grill cloth doubled up for each Bass trap so I had no fabric joins, and for the back I used doubled up white open weave stuff like used under couches can't recall the name.. I used my air Staple gun with 80/10mm staples to attach the coverings...

To attach the Bass traps to the wall I used A stud wall hook right in the top corner of the wall and attached 2x 4mm Gauge 40mm length eye screws to the top left and right corners of the bass trap's, then used 12 KG picture frame wire to pull and hold the bass trap tight into the corners... I also made A stand for the bass traps to sit them on for added stability and authetics.... see the attached picture....

I purchased the black speaker grill cloth and white open weave fabric from Spotlight....The Fixings I got from Bunnings....

Hope this helps.....Cheers....

Name:  Bass Trap Bottom.JPG
Views: 4909
Size:  156.9 KB

Last edited by cinema mad; 11-03-08 at 09:28 PM.
post #5 of 175 Old 11-04-08, 04:38 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hi Jason..

Thanks for the detailed description of your bass traps..

Quote:
the Specs for 50mm Ultratel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz, while 50mm Supertel KG/m3 is [email protected] 125hz... So if you X that by 3 (150mm thick) Ultratel is the way to go for this type of Bass traps...
Yes, I did see the specs. for the two types and the Ultratel is a denser, more compacted fibreglass..which tends me to believe that it would be more reflective than the Supertel..
But hey..if it's worked for you in your environment, then that's all that matters..

Quote:
Own's Corning 2" plain 705 is 6.0pcf,96kg/m3 and [email protected] 125hz..
The Same Own's Corning plain 2" 705 with A 16" air gap is [email protected] 125hz, so as you can see with A 16" air gap from the wall 705's performance is more than 3 times better than flat on A wall....
I'm surprised that a 16" air gap could change the performance as much as that!

I'll have to incorporate that sort of air gap in my traps, and see if there's any improvement..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 175 Old 11-04-08, 04:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
I first made A frame 690mm wide x just under 8ft high, I covered the front with 1 large piece of Black speaker grill cloth doubled up for each Bass trap so I had no fabric joins, and for the back I used doubled up white open weave stuff like used under couches can't recall the name.. I used my air Staple gun with 80/10mm staples to attach the coverings...

To attach the Bass traps to the wall I used A stud wall hook right in the top corner of the wall and attached 2x 4mm Gauge 40mm length eye screws to the top left and right corners of the bass trap's, then used 12 KG picture frame wire to pull and hold the bass trap tight into the corners... I also made A stand for the bass traps to sit them on for added stability and authetics.... see the attached picture....
Sounds like a very effective design..well done..

Quote:
I purchased the black speaker grill cloth and white open weave fabric from Spotlight....The Fixings I got from Bunnings....
I've bought numerous materials from Spotlight over the years, but I've never seen any grille cloth there..
Are you sure it was grille cloth or something that looks like it?..
I recently bought a material from them that looks like grille cloth, which I'm using to cover some new acoustic panels..
It's called Black Polyester Stretch...It has the same open weave as grille cloth, but it's a fraction of the price, and comes in 1500mm. wide rolls..

BTW..I think that white material you're referring to is Dacron..

Some full shots of the finished traps would be nice to see..

Prof..

post #7 of 175 Old 11-04-08, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi Prof, Thankyou for the kind words...

The Black speaker cloth I used from spotlight sounds simmilar to yours, Scott from spotlight Geelong orderd in A few rolls its called "Loud Speaker Meterial" original name spotlights part No 1283123... and the roll is around 1400mm wide.. The problem is he is not back at the Geelong store untill tomorrow to confirm I was given the correct part No... I will post A picture of the white material I used on the rear of the front corner Bass traps Because its not Dacron, full shots of front bass traps as you requested....

Hope this Helps, Cheers...

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-bass-trap-rear-fabric.jpg

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-front-bass-traps.jpg

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-left-front-bass-trap.jpg

BroadBand Bass Trap's Build-right-front-bass-trap.jpg

Last edited by cinema mad; 11-04-08 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #8 of 175 Old 11-05-08, 05:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
I will post A picture of the white material I used on the rear of the front corner Bass traps Because its not Dacron, full shots of front bass traps as you requested....

Hope this Helps, Cheers...
Ah yes!..I see the white material is a type of netting, which is fitted to the back of the traps..
Obviously, this would allow sound waves to pass through without affecting the performance of the Ultratel, as opposed to a solid backing...Good idea..

I didn't have to worry about making my front traps look neat, because the're behind a screenwall..
I just stacked the raw panels in the corners, floor to ceiling and stapled black burlap across them..

It looks like you've done a nice job on yours. .

I'll have to look up that material no. for the "speaker cloth" and see just what it is..
How much per metre did it cost?..The material I bought was only $9.95/M..

Prof..

post #9 of 175 Old 11-05-08, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi PROF,
I have A young 6 year old son and 14 year old daughter so I wanted to make sure that none of the Glass fibers from the ultratel could escape and be air born ....

I just got off the phone from Scott of spotlight Geelong He said that if your spotlight store does'nt carry the Speaker Cloth that they can post it any where in Australia for $6.95...

The loom width of the speaker cloth is 1.5mt, PartNo 1283123 and $12.95mt....

Cheers.....
post #10 of 175 Old 11-06-08, 04:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Hi PROF,
I have A young 6 year old son and 14 year old daughter so I wanted to make sure that none of the Glass fibers from the ultratel could escape and be air born ....
Generally it's pretty safe...It's only when you're cutting it that you need to cover up, not to get any on your skin..

Quote:
I just got off the phone from Scott of spotlight Geelong He said that if your spotlight store does'nt carry the Speaker Cloth that they can post it any where in Australia for $6.95...

The loom width of the speaker cloth is 1.5mt, PartNo 1283123 and $12.95mt....
Thanks Jason...I'll see if I can find that part number online, but I'm not sure if Spotlight actually list their material numbers online..If not, I'll give my local shop a call..

Prof..