Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 118 Old 03-09-09, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

For Blu Ray playback, I use the analog outputs from my Panny BD-55 into a 7.1 analog input on the Denon 5805 receiver. This allows DTS-MA and Dolby HD playback via the player's decoding, since the Denon does not process the newer codecs. I still get bass management and distance correction by the receiver using this connection (DSP switched ON on the Denon for the analog ins.) When making REW measurements, I disconnect the sub cable from the back of the Panny and patch in the output of the sound card.

As I was powering the system down last night, I made a startling discovery. After my measurements on Saturday, I had failed to plug the sub cable back into the Panny. So, the bass I heard on Iron Man was coming only from the K'horns. (I must have left the crossover on them set at 40Hz from Saturday's tests). That certainly explains the superb bass transient response that I heard, but does not explain the bass extension, since the K'horn bass horn's cutoff is 35Hz. I obviously am still getting significant output below that in my room now.

I did not notice that the sub was not working after playing the Blu Ray disc, since the rest of the evening's watching was from the DVR, which has a digital connection to the Denon.

Wow, I must be getting far more benefit from the ceiling trapping than I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 03-09-09, 10:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

I guess then without a weight to the soundfield then the transient response of the other speakers will then be more audible because these sounds that are usually 6dB - 10dB or more down in response from the subwoofer will be more audible than felt. Dependent on your rooms treatment it may be right around the reflections that are also 10dB down from the fundamental sounds, or also 15dB down also sometimes depending on the room. Anyone feel free to correct me on this.
post #93 of 118 Old 03-11-09, 03:36 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Did you make more progress with the ceiling? Are they going in smoothly?

post #94 of 118 Old 03-11-09, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I haven't done any more since Sunday afternoon. I plan to pick up the rest of the tiles this afternoon. It is supposed to be a rainy weekend, so I should be able to get most of the rest of the work done.

Transient response from the sub is really getting good now. I especially noticed it on the bass drum during American Idol last night. The good thing about using the posterboard is that I am not noticing a drop in mids and highs.
post #95 of 118 Old 03-11-09, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I forgot to answer your question about how the installation is going. With the fabric wrapped around the tiles, it is a tight fit into the grid. So much so that on most of them I have to bump them from the top to get them to go in - makes me nervous about breaking them but so far so good. When I ran the sweep Saturday I still had a couple of rattles, but I did not take the time to figure out where they were coming from.

I will run out of burlap by the weekend and will order a few more yards from Joanns'. I knew up front that the one bolt would not be enough, plus I have had to cut out a couple of really bad spots. I won't buy another bolt this time, but rather only order a little more than needed to finish.

I haven't decided if I will extend the R30 fully to the back of the room, since that is where 5 of the Monster traps are. I will run a waterfall after this weekend's work and see where I am. If I decide to leave a few of the sheetrock "tiles" in, I can cover them with burlap so that everything matches.

Thanks for your interest in my project - it truly has been a learning experience for me.
post #96 of 118 Old 03-12-09, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Bryan: One thing that I have noticed as I add more trapping is that rumbling LFE sound effects seem to have lese "rumble." I know that the SPL and FR are there and transient response is much better now. I suppose what I was hearing before was ringing, right?
post #97 of 118 Old 03-12-09, 08:07 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

To a point - yes. You're getting that and also some acoustic doubling like you'd get when a woofer starts to motorboat. You've put in a lot of bass control in the room. You might want to recheck your level balance between mains and subs.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #98 of 118 Old 03-14-09, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

More progress made this weekend. 176 sq. ft. of ceiling treated now; about the front 2/3 of the room is done. I could have finished the whole thing today, but ran out of burlap - more on the way.

Now for the results. The lighter green waterfall is from when I had 48 sq. ft. done (front four rows of tiles). The darker green waterfall is from today. Significant difference in decay time. I am finally seeing results in the 30-40 Hz range. No significant change in sub FR.

I probably will go ahead and do the rest of the room, even tho I have a lot of absorption in the rear already with the Monsters. I have the ceiling tiles, the posterboard and the R30. The extra fabric should be in time to finish next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-post.jpg  

Klipschorns and Room Treatments-mar-14-176-sq-ft.jpg  

post #99 of 118 Old 03-14-09, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Forgot to mention that the overall room noise floor has gone down noticeably - now reading 40-41 db after calibrating against my RS meter at 75 db, and that is with hard drives in 3 DVRs running about 6 feet from the mic. Wish that I had measured it before the treatments for comparison.
post #100 of 118 Old 03-14-09, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Here is the spectral plot from today.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-spectrala.jpg