Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 118 Old 03-21-09, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

If I remember correctly, Bryan's recommendation was specific to the design of the Klipschorns that I am using. They are a corner speaker with a bass horn design in which the bass exits the rear sides (see the black grille cloth on the side of the photo in my avatar). The concern was that traps near the output of the bass horn, which they would be for my case if mounted on the floor in the front of the room, would absorb near field speaker output and cause frequency response errors.

In other cases putting the tri-traps on the floor is fine. In fact, that is the way they are designed and the picturs on GIK's website show them on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 118 Old 03-22-09, 07:20 AM
Shackster
Charlie

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, Bryan's recommendation was specific to the design of the Klipschorns that I am using. They are a corner speaker with a bass horn design in which the bass exits the rear sides (see the black grille cloth on the side of the photo in my avatar). The concern was that traps near the output of the bass horn, which they would be for my case if mounted on the floor in the front of the room, would absorb near field speaker output and cause frequency response errors.

In other cases putting the tri-traps on the floor is fine. In fact, that is the way they are designed and the picturs on GIK's website show them on the floor.
I kind of caught that, but didn't think it through. I'm using SVS cylinders so I'm looking at a 360 degree radiation pattern which puts me in a completely different situation than you. Thanks for the wake-up.
post #113 of 118 Old 03-22-09, 08:32 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Even without corner loaded bass, sometimes Tri Traps along the wall/floor junction are a good solution. It's especially useful when you have obstructions/restrictions on the front wall and front corners but still need to deal with boundary issues.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions

post #114 of 118 Old 04-08-09, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Bryan: I am still thinking about adding a second sub. I would prefer to put it on the front (screen) wall. The FR plots indicate that the location of the Velodyne on the front wall is fine.

Since the room treatments are symmetrical (and the room itself, except for a door on the left side) is there any reason not to expect that a mirror image location for the second sub would be a good spot, at least for the first try?

Hug your pet today!
post #115 of 118 Old 04-08-09, 11:57 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

It may work, it may not. If it were me, I'd mirror it on the back wall most likely. In the front, you'll not only get the interaction with the boundaries that you're getting now, but you'll also have interaction with each other. Hard to say what that will be.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #116 of 118 Old 07-14-09, 12:27 PM
Nathan VanBeek

I would bow down to your system. It's what a young guy like me dreams of!

nate
post #117 of 118 Old 07-14-09, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Thanks, Nate. Many years in the making, but I am out of the market for speakers Welllll, maybe another sub...

Hug your pet today!
post #118 of 118 Old 07-16-09, 03:44 PM
Nathan VanBeek

Yeah man. Even though I've never actually heard any Klipsch pairs perform, I have always drooled over Paul's Klipschhorn as well as those massive Cornwalls! Someday I'll nab a pair; someday.