Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 118 Old 01-31-09, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

Now, here is the waterfall for putting the traps at the rear center of room, 21 off back wall. Subwoofer and LF Mains ON, Audyssey OFF. 80Hz crossovers.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-waterfall-sub-lf-only-center-chair-2-traps-rear-center-21-off-back-wall-80hz-crossover-roo.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 118 Old 01-31-09, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Here is the waterfall for moving the two traps to the rear corners, on the floor. For this measurement, I had to move the rear K'horns out of the corner (I have only 42" from the top of the speaker to the ceiling.) I am sure that moving them out of the corners affected FR and decay to some extent. The green overlay is the waterfall for the traps at the rear center of the room as described above - I did this to see the difference that the location made.

This was an attempt to predict the decay improvement of putting custom 42" Monster traps on top of the rear speakers.

Sub and LF mains on, 80Hz crossovers, Audyssey OFF.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-waterfall-sub-lf-only-center-chair-2-traps-rear-corners-wall-80hz-crossover-room-eq-off.jpg  

post #13 of 118 Old 01-31-09, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Whew! This is more work that these worn out knees and back can handle. Maybe the system is good enough just like it is.... NOT!

Sure looks like more traps are in my future. Later on, I will post plots with the BFD inserted to see how much better the FR can be.

post #14 of 118 Old 02-01-09, 08:37 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Nice job of looking at the options. Each has it's advantages and shows differences in FR and decay times. As you're seeing, 2 is helping but more are needed due to the room size and multiple items needing to be addressed.

As you add more, you'll also see a cumulative improvement in decay time down low.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #15 of 118 Old 02-03-09, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I put three more Monster traps on order yesterday with the custom height needed to go on top of the K'horns, so we will see how much difference that makes. Two are going in the back corners; the third was planned to go in the front left corner, but may end up elsewhere.

Bryan: I did not see your e-mail about symmetry until after I placed the order. I can always use the third one elsewhere if there is an obvious imbalance between the fronts. BTW, I asked about GIK's health during the recession - glad to know that you folks are doing OK! Many places closing their doors around here... including Hoopers, where I purchased most of my HT gear over the years.
post #16 of 118 Old 02-03-09, 05:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Let me know if you need anything Harry. Sorry for the email timing.

As for business, well, Christmas wasn't as good as it usually is but it was certainly better than the average time of the year. January started a bit slow but is picking up very nicely. The factory in the UK is coming along. That just takes a while to get the word out.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #17 of 118 Old 02-03-09, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Bryan: In reading Ethan's excellent primer on acoustic treatment, I see that he recommends filling the cavity behind a trap with absorbent material. For corner mounting of the Monsters would there be any discernable improvement in <100Hz performance by filling the cavity with "pink stuff"? Gut feeling is no since the density is low.

Again, thanks for all your patience with us folks that are just now learning about room treatment. As I said in an earlier post, the subjective improvement of just adding the two is far greater than the numbers would suggest.

No problem on the 3rd trap. I know that I have a long way to go, so I will certainly find a place for it. There is a chance that a Tri Trap will fit on the window side, so that may be a better option later on. Wife reminded me this morning that I was spending way too much on this stuff, so I suppose a truly excellent Valentine gift is in order
post #18 of 118 Old 02-03-09, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Forgot to mention that I did play around with the BFD this weekend. The primary benefit that I saw (and hear) is the ability to flatten out the sub response when Audyssey is ON. I don't recall the boost/cut db, but I ended up with 4 filters, one to re-gain a rolloff that Audyssey is introducing below about 25Hz or so.

I still like what Audyssey does for EQ in the mids and highs, so being able to leave it on and still have the smooth sub FR is beneficial.
post #19 of 118 Old 02-03-09, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

If you add a bit of standard insulation behind the Monsters, it will help a little. It's not going to be a ton but down really deep, it will help some - certainly worth the very small expenditure to buy a roll of insulation.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #20 of 118 Old 02-05-09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Bryan: The other 3 Monster traps arrived today and I have a question. Based on your comments about symmetry, I put two up front on top of the K'horns, including on the right side at the window. This leaves about 3" of the right side of the trap not pushed up to the wall - actually it is spanning the window. I think I read that corner traps should be against the wall and that an air gap would reduce performance. Your opinion, please.

The options that I have with the 5 traps (no budget for any more for a while) are two vertically up front in the corners, two horizontally in the back corners at ceiling level and the 5th in front of the fireplace in the rear center.

No time to run plots tonight, but should be able to post more on Saturday.

Thanks.