Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 118 Old 02-13-09, 05:54 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

I'd maintain as much symmetry as possible. We don't want to change boundary response from one speaker to the next.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

An update on a change and a change in plans...

I hung the fifth Monster trap that was on the floor in front of the fireplace from the ceiling in front of the fireplace. I brought the top of the trap out into the room a little and then tied the bottom of the trap to the fireplace - forming an angle to the ceiling. I then stuffed a R30 batt behind it and also behind each of the front traps. I will have to form a support for the R30 in the back corners due to the horizontal mounting of the traps at the ceiling. I have not made any measurements yet to see what differences all this made.

Going up and down the ladder to hang the fifth trap convinced me that my worn out knees are not up to reworking the ceiling, so no R30 will be going up there. I had "acoustical" tile in the suspended ceiling for many years, but always despised it. Seems that one of the tiles broke every time I took one out to add or change a cable to the projector, speakers or the security system. Plus, it "rained" tile dust everytime I took one down.

Several years ago to alleviate rattles in the ceiling, I cut 5/8" sheetrock pieces the same size of the tiles and laid them on top. I added extra grid support wires from the floor joists above to support the extra weight. The sheetrock was also supposed to help prevent bass from going into the room above. I suppose that extra weight was one reason for the flimsy tiles breaking when I moved them.

When I upgraded the projector right before Christmas, it was obvious that the white ceiling had to be black. I priced black ceiling tiles (did not like the look of the white ones painted) and decided just to take the white ones down, paint the sheetrock pieces black and put them in place of the tiles. I also painted the grid black. As expected, the whole background light level of the room dropped dramatically, which was the goal due to the high contrast ratio of the new projector.

Anyway, to treat the ceiling with R30 would mean either building frames with cloth coverings to support it, or buying new ceiling tiles. Plus I suppose I would need to either treat the whole room perimiter or move the R30 around to find the sweet spots. I really don't think my knees can stand that.

After pricing R30 and the ceiling tiles yesterday, plus cloth or paint to turn them black, I was above the price of two more Monster traps. So, I just placed an order for two more Monsters. I plan to use them on the stands that I bought for the first two and move them around, mainly in the back of the room, to find the best spot (although from the first tests, centered in front of the fireplace is a good place to start.)

I looked around the front of the room to see if I could fit TriTraps on the floor. No can do without putting one very close to the front K'horn (due to door and equipment rack location), which did not work well when I put the Monster there. The TriTrap would not fit over the door or above the equipment rack on the left side wall. If they are going in the back of the room, they might as well be Monsters.

So, this will likely be the last trapping that I put in the room - can't really find more space with the other stuff in the room while maintaining some degree of symmetry. I really did not think I would be satisfied without trying two more Monsters anyway. So, I will get what benefit I get and will be happy. Even if it is only a small improvement, I know that I have made a huge overall improvement in the way the system sounds.

Now, to put the rest of the R30 in the attic...
post #53 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 08:40 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Yep filling those ceilings hurt. I have been limping on one leg for the past few days since accessing a very small area of the ceiling to get some extra insulation for the back wall. The last time I did a ceiling insulation measurement and install I think that it took me at least a good 14 hours to complete, not counting the time it takes to clean up the mess also. If you ever have the free time/energy to fill the area Quiet Batt works rather well also and doesn't require much support to the tiles. It has a funny taste to it however.

post #54 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Bryan: I started the "I Remember" nostalgia thread in the General Discussion area.
post #55 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

thewire:

OT, but tell me about Lake Ozarks. Is it a summer vacation? Wife is always looking for somewhere to visit.
post #56 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 03:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
thewire:

OT, but tell me about Lake Ozarks. Is it a summer vacation? Wife is always looking for somewhere to visit.
Yes most of the population does not live here, only have summer homes, resorts, camps, per say. There are plenty of famous people with getaways down here. Brad Pitt, John Goodman, it's difficult to keep track of there are so many, and it isn't something you hear about on ET. I don't think that I have seen any celebs athough I did see a helicopter before that I think was someone famous. They hold alot of bass pro fishing tournaments here, and the have boat races every year that can be seen on television. There are many number of events down here, but people mostly come to tour Bridal Cave (as seen in "Deep Impact"), visit the ruins of the castle, go hopping from restaurant to restaurant on the water etc.
post #57 of 118 Old 02-14-09, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Oh me... she has the MO AAA book out looking at your area

We already have a driving trip to Colorado planned for June. Shortest route is via I-70.
post #58 of 118 Old 02-15-09, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I ran a new waterfall for the changes that I made over the past couple of days: moving one of the 42" Monster traps from the floor in front of the fireplace to the ceiling above the fireplace. Also, I put a R30 batt behind each of the rear Monsters (had to remove the batt behind the center rear to finish the attic insulation addition).

Looks like I spread out ringing in the lowest bass and gained a little more effective absorption above that. FR plot shows several db up around 20, so that may be the cause of the increased ringing amplitude in this plot. Need to do some smoothing with the BFD.

It will be interesting to see what the last 2 Monsters will do.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-feb-15th-changes.jpg  

Last edited by hjones4841; 02-15-09 at 04:05 PM.
post #59 of 118 Old 02-15-09, 08:27 PM
Senior Shackster
jdeanmc

hey,
let me know when the trips planned!i can be in b'ham in 45 mins.assuming you wouldnt mind an "obsessive"ht moron that you've never met tagging along with you and your wife for a several week vacation
p.s. i do have a pretty hearty appetite!
post #60 of 118 Old 02-16-09, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
jdeanmc wrote: View Post
hey,
let me know when the trips planned!i can be in b'ham in 45 mins.assuming you wouldnt mind an "obsessive"ht moron that you've never met tagging along with you and your wife for a several week vacation
Hey, you know what? We could visit thewire and play a trick on him. You keep him busy outside and I will sneak into his HT and move all his traps around