Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 118 Old 02-17-09, 06:29 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
Hey, you know what? We could visit thewire and play a trick on him. You keep him busy outside and I will sneak into his HT and move all his traps around

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 Old 02-17-09, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Veee hafff our vaaays
post #63 of 118 Old 02-17-09, 03:18 PM
Senior Shackster
jdeanmc

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
Hey, you know what? We could visit thewire and play a trick on him. You keep him busy outside and I will sneak into his HT and move all his traps around
Or ill bring our cats and in 10 mins he'll have wall to wall cat hair carpet

post #64 of 118 Old 02-20-09, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Monster traps #6&7 went into the room last night. I only had time to make one quick measurement. Seems that the mode around 27Hz is broader than before. I plan to run new waterfalls tomorrow with and without these two traps and will post them.

Subjectively, when the wife walked into the room last night, I was playing a Michael McDonald concert DVD. I remarked that the system sounded more natural than ever before. She agreed
post #65 of 118 Old 02-20-09, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Happy to report that Monster traps #6&7 make a measureable improvement. The green overlay is for 5 traps with the base color being all 7 with the latest two in front of the fireplace, center back wall about a foot in front of the wall. Out further seemed to not be as effective. BFD in ON, sub only, 80Hz crossover.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-feb-20-7-traps-bfd-sub-only.jpg  

post #66 of 118 Old 02-20-09, 08:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Are these measurements with the subsonic filter on or off?
post #67 of 118 Old 02-21-09, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

The only subsonic filter in the system is the one built in the Velodyne sub. It has two settings: 15Hz and 35Hz - it is in the 15Hz position. If you are wondering about the performance below 30Hz, this sub has always had strong output below 20. I have noticed an increase in measured and perceived output below 30 as I added traps.

As stated before, the system has never sounded as grand as it does now. Wish I had put the traps in long ago. Anyone who is on the fence about trapping - do it.

With all that absorption on the rear wall (5 traps) walking back there is psuedo-anechoic. But, I don't have any seats back there, so no problem. I wonder what this has done to the bass FR of the back K'horns - I may have too much absorption in the 100-200Hz range. Should not be that big of a problem for the back surrounds, tho.

I paid particular attention to dialog during last night's viewing. While it is extremely clean and pinpoint focused, it is quite different from what I had before. It almost sounds thin. I suppose I am hearing the lack of "chestiness" that was in the system before.

I was kinda puzzled about how the last two traps performed as I moved them away from the back wall. I expected to see more absorption in the lowest octave as I moved them out. I think I know what is happening. The traps are on stands, sitting on the fireplace hearth. The tops of the traps are pushed against the fireplace mantle, forming a small corner. This may be the reason they work better there.

This morning I am going to adjust the position of the center ceiling trap to bring it down to the top of the last two. This will provide an effective trap area of about 72" x 48."

I need to post a couple of pictures so you can see what this all looks like.
post #68 of 118 Old 02-21-09, 07:42 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Actually, once you get more than the thickness of the absorption away from the wall, you can actually get more of a peaky filtering effect based on the wavelength of the frequency

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #69 of 118 Old 02-21-09, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Here are photos of the back of the room (trap city!) and one of the front mains with a 42" custom Monster mounted vertically.

I measured FR of one of the back K'horns - steep, narrow dip at about 60Hz. Likely a room mode, although that is where the Monster trap effectiveness peaks per the lab test on GIK's website. Not really a problem with crossover set at 80Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-back.jpg  

Klipschorns and Room Treatments-front.jpg  

post #70 of 118 Old 02-22-09, 02:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Very Nice. Your speakers make those Monster Traps look smaller in the photos though.