Klipschorns and Room Treatments - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 118 Old 03-07-09, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Klipschorns and Room Treatments

Here is the corresponding waterfall for these changes (medium green) plus the one from Feb 20th (the one with the overlays) without the ceiling treatment. Surprising improvement across a much wider freq range than expected, especially in the 20-40 Hz range. The improvement in the 40-80Hz range was expected, but not that at the lowest freqs. Based on this, the ceiling treatment is worth continuing.

Subjectively in last night's viewing there was less audible difference than the plots suggest. It could have been the program material we chose.
Attached Thumbnails
Klipschorns and Room Treatments-feb-2020-207-20traps-20bfd-20on-20sub-20only.jpg  

Klipschorns and Room Treatments-mar-7-4-rows-ceiling-done-wfall-sub-only-bfd-.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 04:46 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
Subjectively in last night's viewing there was less audible difference than the plots suggest. It could have been the program material we chose.
These are some examples of some scenes and an intro where I hear a difference in my HT that treating the ceiling has helped.

Master And Commander 1:09:18

Master And Commander 1:11:57

Star Wars Episode2 50:26

Star Wars Episode3 20:42

Saving Private Ryan 2:33:58

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crsytal Scull 21:36

20th Century Fox Intro
post #83 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Yeah, I threw more at it last night and there is definately an improvement in bass transient response. I had "Celtic Woman" DVD on and the kettle drum really had a lot of snap. I hope to do more rows next weekend, although there is another house repair that I also need to do.

Did you get your new projector up and running?

post #84 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 05:33 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Yeah, I threw more at it last night and there is definately an improvement in bass transient response. I had "Celtic Woman" DVD on and the kettle drum really had a lot of snap. I hope to do more rows next weekend, although there is another house repair that I also need to do.

Did you get your new projector up and running?
I have got the mount, the subsonic filter, and the projector shipped yesterday. I am building the screen wall today.
post #85 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

You know, I was just wondering if the sheetrock panels in the grid themselves are rattling at low bass freqs. and, therefore, are emulating additional time decay in the room. Looking at the two waterfalls above, it is hard to believe that the R30 itself is making that much difference (although there is 88 sq. feet of it in the room now.)

By the way, with the fabric wrapped around the ceilng tiles the fit into the grid is tighter, so hopefully I will have fewer rattles when I am done.
post #86 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 06:25 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
You know, I was just wondering if the sheetrock panels in the grid themselves are rattling at low bass freqs. and, therefore, are emulating additional time decay in the room. Looking at the two waterfalls above, it is hard to believe that the R30 itself is making that much difference (although there is 88 sq. feet of it in the room now.)

By the way, with the fabric wrapped around the ceilng tiles the fit into the grid is tighter, so hopefully I will have fewer rattles when I am done.
It's difficult to know just how much a rattle is a problem when it might be down so far in the range of human hearing. If I can find one I stand under it and try and fix it until it is gone. That is why if I am checking for a problem rattle I fixed I go back to the scene and listen to it on repeat. If it doesn't sound the same each time there is a rattle, which sounds more like a distortion than a rattle. There is a certain point where it takes a louder subwoofer signal regardless if mains or on or not that it is masked out. There is also the higher frequencies in the subwoofer which might cause one so I check with the mains also. The grid that holds my tiles are an interlocking direct ceiling mount system using PVC. When I press on it the two peices go in and out in areas like it is sagging. I'm not sure if it would make any difference to a rattle. The rattles I find are usually tiles that are not sitting on a peice of the shorter grid laying between the other grid after I have been working in the ceiling. It doesn't ever seem to be right the first time I put them in.
post #87 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 07:56 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

I absolutely think that the R30 is really making that much difference. That's a lot of square footage with an effective 12" thickness.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #88 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
That's a lot of square footage with an effective 12" thickness.
R30 is labeled as 9-1/2". Does "effective" mean acoustically? Glad it is not 12" - it is a snug fit for me as it is.

5 more tiles and 40 more sq. ft. of R30 put up this afternoon. This puts me about half way into the room from the front. No measurements for today's additions; I likely will wait until I put up more.

Bryan: Should I really expect much from putting the R30 above the tiles where the Monster traps are in the back? Reason I ask is that it will take part of a fourth package of R30 to do them. I guess I will go ahead - I suppose I could stuff the remaining R30 behind the Monsters that don't have it now.
post #89 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 04:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

My mistake. Not sure why I was thinking 12".

You can probably skip the rear as you already have plenty of bass control in the rear of the room.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #90 of 118 Old 03-08-09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I just played a few bass heavy scenes from Iron Man. BIG WIDE GRIN! Uncanny bass transient response now, and I am still not thru with the room treatments. I wish someone had hit me up side the head years ago to get me to put traps in.

Also, I have been playing around a little bit with the Aura Bass Shaker Pro from Parts Express. Verdict: fun if used in moderation. It is very easy to get a most unnatural feeling. But, with the level set properly there is a nice kick in the bottom when bombs go off, etc. My wife hates it, but I may use it to wake her up during movies (swift kick in the ...) I really bought them to use with new Berklines on order from Roman, but decided to start playing around with them on the old chairs.