My GIK Pillar Trap Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 128 Old 02-08-09, 09:00 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: My GIK Pillar Trap Review

Lemme check with my supplier and see what they have in stock

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 128 Old 02-09-09, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Checked my account this AM. Are you able to get the $300.00 of the mineral wool? I wanted to set some aside in case I needed an extra pair of 244's.
post #23 of 128 Old 02-09-09, 09:26 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Check your PM

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions

post #24 of 128 Old 02-09-09, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

If shipping is more that is alright by me. The Pink insulation in the back didn't seem to help more than 2' thick but I'm not sure the difference with mineral wool. If it is enough to go 2' thick, 4' high, and however wide stacking them would be so that I cover the back wall around 10' wide I would be happy. That would be plenty to try out in other areas also. If shipping is more that is alright, or if I don't have enough I could wait until next week or later if that will help. I will have the other pair of 244's on the back wall to see if adding more may help, but it will take longer for me to determine if more will help or not. I will first try without covering the center area where the 244's are currently which I did last time. I thought it might be better to think ahead just in case, but the back wall is the main agenda.

Last edited by thewire; 02-09-09 at 10:54 AM.
post #25 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

I could also instead make it look nicer and place a second pair of 244's spaced on the back wall, then fill in the area behind them with as much Mineral wool as I could get, disregarding the side walls for now. I'm sure that would look nicer and I don't think I have the needed materials for the another frame, and I certainly don't have enough fabric although I have some black curtains that may work.

This is the left and right speakers with some 244's moving absorption to left or right side walls as shown in the previous image. The mains have a X-over of 80Hz.

These RT60 measurements never seem to change much, or if they do, I can't remeasure the same thing twice. They look similar having my my subs on also. The panels depending on where they are placed on the side walls makes the area around 250Hz go lower.

This is how the subwoofer measured with absorption on both side walls and with them also spaced more than 1' off the back wall on each side of the other 244's. The x-over on the sub is 80Hz but 120Hz is also sent tracking a 120Hz X-over.

green is with them on the back wall
blue is with them on the side walls

Last edited by thewire; 02-10-09 at 01:18 AM.
post #26 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Placing the 244's over my stage now gives me reults I like. I moved out the subwoofer out from between the stage, placed insulation in there instead, and placed the other couch back in since I had a complaint about that. Checking the ceiling above the back row there is zero abrorption back there. I found some blankets that I stuffed up in the corners.

This is with four 244's across the front stage with some pink behind them in the center, a small amount of pink laying on the back center wall above the sub there, and the seats, and subs moved again. The stage has a 1 3/4" thick peice of plywood added to the top. The roll-off of the subwoofers in the front of the room looks really good. There are a few tiles missing in the back of the room.

Front row with a quick setup. No eq was done, and it doesn't look equalizable.

The back row looks scarry now. I have never seen such a lack of extention back there. This was without the small absorption on the back wall.

post #27 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 06:03 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Sorry - been buried. I'll do some checking today.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #28 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

The highs didn't sound right. The best I could get it to sound was when I placed two 244's at the first reflection points with and additonal one stacked on each pair horizontal, then placed the 2" around my surrounds.
post #29 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Sorry - been buried. I'll do some checking today.

Bryan
That's alright. I appreciate it.
post #30 of 128 Old 02-10-09, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Here is my 2" on the front wall give or take some adjustments. I had to roll the High Power Screen against the wall while feeding the foam into it and then placing it back into my original box with a foam tube I wrapped in paper towls. The screws holding the frame in place are stripped and my drill will not open to put in a new bit. I have a second frame which was originally designed for it becuase this was a replacement screen from when I had help painting the room and they had painted the previous one on accident.