My GIK Pillar Trap Review - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 128 Old 02-19-09, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: My GIK Pillar Trap Review

Good analysis. I have tried a matching center channel and I had similar results. I hope treating the front wall helps.

I just noticed that my speaker ports on the bottom were both plugged with foam. That should raise the bottom frequencies some. For some reason my surrounds drivers and mains drivers do not look alike. In bringing the speakers into the room my mains did not match, and I had brought the surround up front thinking by other speaker was a main. I had checked the ports, but I did not check close enough obviously. That could explain the 250Hz ringing in the graphs. With DVE at high levels my speakers did not pass the buzz test at 250Hz. My previous review of the GIK traps still stands as I had that problem prior to plugging the ports, but I will give my impressions of with and without them again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 128 Old 02-19-09, 11:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Fedex delivered the other two Monsters at 9 this morning - not bad since they only left Atlanta around 3 this morning. I will at least put them in the room tonight. Kinda limited on "play" time after work. Wife expects the system to be ready for the evening TV viewing by 7 p.m.
post #63 of 128 Old 02-19-09, 06:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
A comment on the dialog...

That actually is one of the most commone 'symptoms' of a room that has too little bottom end control. It's a lack of clarity in the center. It's also that 'can't hear the dialog so we turn it up - but then the effects are too loud so we turn it down' syndrome.

What's happening is that the bass decay time is out of control and the ringing is masking the dialog. People don't realize that male voice can easily go below 200Hz.

Bryan
This may explain something that happened 10 years ago. I had a Klipsch Academy for center channel that I sold (sure wish I had kept it!) and replaced it with a Belle Klipsch (gussied up La Scala). I expected greater dialog clarity with the Belle but actually the Academy was better. The Academy had been on a stand about 18" or so off the floor.

The Belle is floor standing, putting the bass horn very near the floor. I bet that excites more room modes than the Academy did and could be the reason I am getting better dialog clarity now that I have traps in the room. Interesting.

post #64 of 128 Old 02-20-09, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

I took some new measurements this morning after after taking the foam out of the left and right speakers. I found some in the back left surround also. That fixed the dip around 168Hz for the left and right speakers. Here is a decay of every channel. I used a 80dB target by turning down the level in the pre/pro after I calibrated levels with my THX optimizer. The level of the pre/pro after that was -3 for the subs and -3 to -2 for the other channels.

Left channel

Right Channel

Center channel

Right surround

Left surround
post #65 of 128 Old 02-20-09, 04:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

What was the purpose of the foam? Were you using it to change port tuning?
post #66 of 128 Old 02-20-09, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
What was the purpose of the foam? Were you using it to change port tuning?
My surrounds used to be on some steel stands and I could hear more lower bass from the surrounds since the ports were at ear level.
post #67 of 128 Old 02-20-09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Here are photos of the new bass traps in the back of the room. I want to add some cherry stained trim. I finished the fabric already but I need to trim off some of the extra.
The holes behind the couches (there are a total of 4 on each) near the subwoofer raised the 40Hz dip and adding insulation to the corners improved the ringing.

Here is how the traps look right now in the front of the room. I need to put some of my leftover carpet, fabric, reflective material, larger carpet and recarpet the whole areas, or something to hide the holes where my other 2" panels were hung. There is some insulation or something on the wall near one of the holes that have a couple of the screw anchors you can see above the traps.

Last edited by thewire; 02-20-09 at 06:50 PM.
post #68 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 10:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Kyle

My jaw drops.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing
post #69 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 01:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

thewire: Please help me understand how to interpret the spectral decay plots. Here is mine with center & sub driven. What am I looking at/looking for? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
My GIK Pillar Trap Review-spectral.jpg  

post #70 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
keelay wrote: View Post
My jaw drops.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing
Thanks. Action scenes in the HT are starting to be pretty realistic.

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
thewire: Please help me understand how to interpret the spectral decay plots. Here is mine with center & sub driven. What am I looking at/looking for? Thanks.
I use spectral decay to look for an even amount of absorption and to compare that with reflections trying to balance the tone. The blue ones at the bottom go up when I treat I null, and they also go can go down when I treat a peak. I study the spectral decay and look for modes nearby when I am treating a null or peak to see how the effectiveness directly related to the nearby modes. When they seperate and the different colors are spaced futher apart then there is less coloration to the sound and it sounds smoother. If there are valleys or peaks that are not falling directly bellow previous ones above that the bass does not feel right as it decays away.