My GIK Pillar Trap Review - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: My GIK Pillar Trap Review

Here is an example of decay that does not sound smooth, and that does not feel right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

I picked up four things of R30 unfaced, paneling nails, and trim for the rear traps from Lowes. The trim has a smooth curve to it. The insulation should allow me to get the concrete off the rear traps, and remove the plywood in the ceiling in the back of the room above the center/rear wall, then fill the corner there. I need some around the tri-corners in the back of the room also. I hope that this will improve the surrounds some. If the rear corners are anything like the front corners, it should trap some around 90Hz.

post #73 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Here are the new results after putting in the insulation. I had some extra to place above the right subwoofer where there was none.

These were the filters.

The intro to Star Wars EP3 at reference level sounded fantastic but the track lighting was shaking around like a leaf. I will do my best to secure that. We will be replacing the hole in the ceiling where I have taken down the hush box and the projector still is hanging with more Ceilume Ceiling Tiles/Back Panels, and insulation.

The surrounds seem to have improved but it looks like my single 2" 2X2 panel that I forgot was in the corner next to my right surround is helping more than treating above the ceiling helps.

Surround right

Surround left

Center

post #74 of 128 Old 02-21-09, 10:15 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

That is getting very smooth, you must be impressed with the results.
post #75 of 128 Old 02-22-09, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
That is getting very smooth, you must be impressed with the results.
I think that I must spend at least a few hours in the HT listening to music and it sounds even better than before. The room sounds less bright than it did now since I have completed putting up the fabric on the rear traps.

In an odd note I found my settings in the pre/pro to be different than I setup last time, or at least wat I thought I set them to. The subwoofer level was -5 and the mains were not adjusted like I had them. This has happened before that I can remember. I will need to check a manual and see if I can figure out the memory button. It could be I made so many adjustments I forgot.

Right now I would give the sound in the room
post #76 of 128 Old 02-22-09, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

It could also sound less bright since I took all the concrete out the back of the room.
post #77 of 128 Old 02-23-09, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

There is no cutting of OC 705 required. It would help if I could remove the old screen frame which I might end up doing. That would allow it be inserted with a friction fit.

Here is one of the rear traps being built. I had an espicially difficult time with the left side because my stapler began to jam no matter if I put in newer staples or not. It was also difficult on the left side because the jigsaw is missing the peice to hold it straight and the angle of the blade was not ideal for cutting angles on that side of the room when I needed to keep the blade angled away from studs. At least the drill is fixed, but we did get a new cordless also. The trim does not match perfectly but it was as close to deep cherry as they had. I am wondering if I could not spray a transparent red over it to make it look cherry. I have never stained before but I know that it is difficult to match a stain. Maybe I should not worry about that. At any rate I got them cut pretty close to being flush but I'm sure I will do better without having to worry about the straight cuts and fabric on the next one. I might need more trim to finish, and I am debating whether to cut my losses and return what I have then stain some instead. I had not realized that the cut edges of the fake wood would look like unpainted cardboard.

post #78 of 128 Old 02-24-09, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

I had to do more corrections. Everytime I change something I have to go back and change 10 times as much.
  • Took the kraft paper off insulation in the stage & uncompressed it some
  • Moved more 2" panels over the stage
  • Covered the front wall with OC 705 2"
  • Moved the Pillar Traps away from the corners some & removed insulation under them
  • Moved speakers away from the listening position inches
  • Didn't equalize bellow 50Hz

Hope this looks alright. This is the left speaker.

My right speaker shown in this graph I had to go back and take extra absorption out from behind the speaker that I added inside the cabinet. This shows just how sensitive these graphs are to my speakers from around 7' away pretty well.

I fixed that so hope it looks better and more like the left speaker next time I measure.

Here is a new RT60 graph (interpret at your own discretion). The area above 1Khz went down in level after removing the kraft paper and moving the speaker and not just after adding the 6 panels of OC 705, which I had done earlier.

Last edited by thewire; 02-24-09 at 02:40 AM.
post #79 of 128 Old 02-24-09, 05:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I admire your determination (and energy level!) in getting your room treatments right. You have me thinking about treating my ceiling after all.

In a previous post you mentioned track lighting. What brand/style did you use and do they rattle? I have recessed cans in the ceiling that supplied enough light until I blacked out the ceiling. Some track lights around the room perimiter would help.
post #80 of 128 Old 02-24-09, 07:02 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

I would strongly recommend against track lighting - exactly for the reasons that are being described here. Just their basic design and flexibility (advantages) make them inherently non-rigid. I had track lighting in one house many years ago and whenever I'd get the sub up and moving, not only would I get buzzes and rattles, I'd pop bulbs unless I used the rough service ones.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions