My GIK Pillar Trap Review - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 128 Old 02-24-09, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: My GIK Pillar Trap Review

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
I admire your determination (and energy level!) in getting your room treatments right. You have me thinking about treating my ceiling after all.

In a previous post you mentioned track lighting. What brand/style did you use and do they rattle? I have recessed cans in the ceiling that supplied enough light until I blacked out the ceiling. Some track lights around the room perimiter would help.
Bryan is right they are not good for HT. When I shopped for track lighting I had a sales representative allow me to climb the latter and physically shake each of the lighting to test them for rattles. The ones that gave me least rattles were the style I choose. The ceiling joist are all decoupled from the walls and they are secured further by furring strips that are wedged from the joist into ridges that are on the steel ceiling. That helps prevent the entire joist from physically bowing around with sine waves and aids in the perfomance of my ceiling tiles but does that help the plastic track lighting? Nope. I have placed a small amount of cardboard under them, but the fact that there is loose tile between the wood and the parts attached to the track lighting gives them no support in those areas. What I found shaking was the parts that contain the bulbs, but this is something I notice sitting in the rear of the room, not the front of the room. I need to be sitting under them because otherwise I have not heard it up until now. My sconces are caulked to the walls except in the front where there is carpet behind them. I tried all forms of lighting before I got the track lighting. Lamps, flourecent lighting, night lights. Some battery powered LED lighting would be best but it isn't going to fully light my room, and it isn't cheap. That's way low down at near 20Hz that shook the track lighting. It isn't sound I'm able to hear well. It is mostly felt.

I got mine at Lowes. Here is a photo of it.

I have an example here with what happens when I remove treatments from the room. Removing the extra absorption behind the speaker in the cabinet made the right speaker worse, so I am going to try and see what I can do to improve the results more. As I removed all the treatments, then began to add them, the room began to sound larger and bass became more easy to hear. It also sounded like I was adding larger speakers.

Room treatments where they are.

Removed 2" panels from the front of the stage.

Removed a pair of 2" ATS panels and 6 GIK 244's from first reflection points.

Removed the pair of GIK Pillar Traps. Ouch!

Removed the pair of GIK Moster Traps.

Removed the 6 panels of OC 705 from the front wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 128 Old 02-24-09, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

It looks like adding some Rockwool 60 to the speaker cabinets moved the resonance down near 100Hz. I noticed that the response looks more flat with the wires reversed from however they are (not sure at this time). I thought the idea is to get the crossover area the highest in SPL but this looks better to me. There were low frequencies that were effected with my mains ran in full range mode with the subwoofers getting double bass but perhaps that was normal. These might be the correct results.

Left + subwoofers

Right + subwoofers

edit: the center channel was added back in the room for these also. Mic was pointed at an angle for these also. Can't wait to start watching movies!

Last edited by thewire; 02-25-09 at 12:14 AM.
post #83 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 05:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
thewire wrote: View Post
I switched to Disney "Lamp Black" because the Home Depot in our area said they did not carry it anymore.
Is Lamp Black a Behr color? I may pick up some cheap ceiling tiles and try painting them. I don't have a spray gun, so I will either have to roll it on or use flat black spray cans. The old tiles were USG Radar style. They had holes for "acoustics" and never would paint well. If I can find some smoother surface tiles, then painting may work OK.

post #84 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Is Lamp Black a Behr color? I may pick up some cheap ceiling tiles and try painting them. I don't have a spray gun, so I will either have to roll it on or use flat black spray cans. The old tiles were USG Radar style. They had holes for "acoustics" and never would paint well. If I can find some smoother surface tiles, then painting may work OK.
Those tiles are for things like classrooms. I would recommend some Sonex ceiling tiles.

http://www.sonex-online.com/SONEX%20Ceilings.htm

The Lamp Black was BEHR Premium.
post #85 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 04:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:
thewire wrote: View Post
Those tiles are for things like classrooms. I would recommend some Sonex ceiling tiles.
Shhhhhhh... Recommending foam acoustic products will get you banned from this forum for LIFE

That stuff is way too expensive for me. Painted regular ceiling tiles with R30 over it wil be fine.
post #86 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Shhhhhhh... Recommending foam acoustic products will get you banned from this forum for LIFE

That stuff is way too expensive for me. Painted regular ceiling tiles with R30 over it wil be fine.
Regular tiles will be better than drywall, but I thought you already tried that and had problems with them rattling. Are you going to glue them?
post #87 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 05:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Well, something is still rattling up there when I do LF sweeps - either the grid or the sheetrock "tiles."

The sheetrock tiles just don't look very good - the beveled edges where the tape and mud go in normal use are up against the grid and are quite visible. Did not bother me at first, but now it does. Plus, I need something acoustically "porus" for the R30 to go on top.

Can't glue some of them due to needing access to pipes, otherwise the whole ceiling would be solid sheetrock. I am toying with building wood frames instead and covering them with grill cloth - Ethan's site has photos of a studio done that way.
post #88 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Well, something is still rattling up there when I do LF sweeps - either the grid or the sheetrock "tiles."

The sheetrock tiles just don't look very good - the beveled edges where the tape and mud go in normal use are up against the grid and are quite visible. Did not bother me at first, but now it does. Plus, I need something acoustically "porus" for the R30 to go on top.

Can't glue some of them due to needing access to pipes, otherwise the whole ceiling would be solid sheetrock. I am toying with building wood frames instead and covering them with grill cloth - Ethan's site has photos of a studio done that way.
That's the problem with the ones I see at the local hardware stores. They are not porus. I was doing my best to find you some Mineral Wool Ceiling tiles but I am having trouble finding any. You could also cut your own out of Mineral Wool and cover it with fabric. If I remember right it was around $300.00 if I wanted to cover my entire ceiling with Rockwool 60 2". This is a cost effective way to have tiles and I have seen members on this site with mineral wool ceiling tiles but they were able to get them easy from the location they lived at. The bass passes through my tiles like they are nothing. They are after all close to paper thin PVC.
post #89 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 06:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I am really beginnng to like the idea of making ceiling tiles from mineral wool, 703 or 705, cover them with black cloth and line the perimeter of the room. Then I could use the same black cloth and cover the remaining sheetrock panels to match.

A question about cutting various materials: I will need to cut 1/4" off each dimension to fit into the grids. Which material will be the best for that? I heard that mineral wool panels are kinda brittle. Would 703 or 705 work better in the long run? Might be worth the extra $s to put up something that 1) works and 2) wont' sag over time.
post #90 of 128 Old 02-25-09, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
I am really beginnng to like the idea of making ceiling tiles from mineral wool, 703 or 705, cover them with black cloth and line the perimeter of the room. Then I could use the same black cloth and cover the remaining sheetrock panels to match.

A question about cutting various materials: I will need to cut 1/4" off each dimension to fit into the grids. Which material will be the best for that? I heard that mineral wool panels are kinda brittle. Would 703 or 705 work better in the long run? Might be worth the extra $s to put up something that 1) works and 2) wont' sag over time.
I'm not sure why OC would not work just as well. I think that it was just recommended to use mineral wool because it is just as effective as using the OC for the ceiling. I forget exactly how to apply the fabric but I think that spray adhiesive might work. The mineral wool I am thinking of comes with a paper facing on it. I did a search in google and had a hit to the Roxul site but it did not show a picture of it. When I did a search for faced Roxul I also got hits for some but they are sites in the UK and china.

One idea however that may work. I acutally wrapped Roxul in newspaper then I tapped it so that I could wedge it between my projector and the ceiling without worrying about it crumbling. I'm sure you could spray some adheisive on some 2" Roxul Rockboard (this stuff I have to cut with a hacksaw) and put some newspaper on it, then put some fabric on it and glue that somehow if you are worried about it crumbling. I should have paid better attention to that part in THX training.