Sonnie's Accoustical Panels - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 24 Old 07-29-06, 02:53 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Re: Sonnie's Accoustical Panels

I got my stuff from a local insulation supply company (in Sacramento). My cost for 2" 703 equivalent was $1.20/ft^2. I also got 2" 8# mineral whool from the same place for $0.80/ft^2. I stacked the mineral whool 3 panels deep across the vertical corners (floor to ceiling) and 2 panels deep behind the listening position (parallel to the rear wall and a foot out into the room). The 703 equivalent hasn't been installed yet, but I'll put panels at the first reflection points behind the speakers, on the side walls and on the ceiling. They will be spaced 2" from the sheetrock. I'll also put a ring of 2" 703 equivalent (cut to 1' wide) around the room at the wall/ceiling interface. Those panels will have the FRK facing. The room will be heavily treated, but before that the only stuff in the room was my HT equipment and one couch. It needed help badly! I also got cloth from a local fabric company that was extremely breathable. I don't remember the name of the fabric off hand, but I could easily breath through it when I put it up to my mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 08-01-06, 06:18 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Derek... how did you make your DIY panels?
post #23 of 24 Old 08-01-06, 10:25 PM
Shackster
Derek

Jagman,
Embarrassingly simple. 2'x2'x2" rigid fiberglass sprayed with 3M adhesive and covered with PE speaker cloth. Stuck them directly to the wall with silicone glue. I made a palette on a stick (plaster hawk?) and used a pair of 8x1"x1 sticks with squeeze clamps to hold them to the ceiling while the glue dried. I could adjust the height by sliding the sticks apart. It would work with a paint roller extension pole too. I made and installed all 16 panels in a day.

The down side is that I don't get any additional bass trapping because they are flat against the drywall. Maybe someday I'll replace them with some HF RealTraps and stand them off a couple of inches.

post #24 of 24 Old 08-02-06, 05:33 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

That was very simple! I think I'll use some bracing to get them off the walls a bit. It definitely adds to the cost and time needed to make them, but I think it's well worth it.