Sonnie's Accoustical Panels - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 05-04-06, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Sonnie's Accoustical Panels

Sonnie, I was looking at pictures of your home theater, specifically at the accoustical panels.
  1. Did you make them?
  2. If so, what did you make them out of?
  3. And how did you determine where to put them?

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-04-06, 07:21 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Sonnie's Accoustical Panels

I was almost scared to open this up in fear of reading some redneck hillbilly joke... whew!

1. No.
2. Refer to answer #1.
3. I guessed?

Okay... seriously... I got those from Acoustics First and they are their Respond panels. At the time it was the cheapest place I could find them. Still not so cheap and I'm sure if you have the abilities you could build them for less.

I really had no ideas where to place them but from reading around I decided on the first and second reflection points on the side walls and then the rear wall directly behind the speakers.

But as I've stated elsewhere... I really couldn't tell any difference in the sound. I wasn't having any echo or too liveliness problems or at least I don't think I was. I merely wanted to see if it would help my sound. Yet, my ears are not that critical so they could be helping and I just don't realize it that much.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-04-06, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Sonnie, I wouldn't make any cracks about you being a redneck hillbilly.

OK, I'm lying, I would and probably will eventually.. I have been known to be a little, umm, sarcastic/acidic/etc with my humor.

But, back the issue at hand. I'm going to be building some panels for my listening room and wanted to get some feedback from your experience.

To that end, I have a few follow up questions:
  1. Are they 1" or 2"?
  2. Did you play around with the placement at all?
  3. Is there a space between the wall and the panel?
  4. Did you play around with this at all?

I've heard of two tricks for the placement of the panels.

The first is to use a mirror pressed against the wall and have someone else slide it on the wall until you see the tweeter from your sitting position. As soon as you see the tweeter centered in the mirror, that will be the dead center of the panel.

The second trick is to put a little bit of space between the panel and the wall. I think I've seen that 2" is the most effective, but I can't imagine I'd ever do that -- low WAF, claustrophobia (the walls are caving in!! ). But maybe 1"?

JCD

post #4 of 24 Old 05-04-06, 08:37 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

You better not...

1. 1"
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. Refer to #3

I did the mirror trick from my front row center and second row center (not really sure you would actuall call that second reflections as I stated above).

I have read the same thing on spacing behind... it increases the absorbtion abilities. I think this is supposed to better trap the sound, but I'm not 100% sure on this, but it makes sense.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-07-06, 11:29 AM
Shackster
Derek

Hey guys, The air gap is to lower the bottom range of absorbtion, but this isn't to be confused with increasing the absorbtion. I.E. Nothing will change at 1khz, but but you'll get better bass trapping at 80Hz. Same goes for using thicker material.

FWIW, I just stuck my first reflection panels flat on the walls and ceiling too. But I've got lots of bass traps in the corners and ceiling wall junctions.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-08-06, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Derek wrote:
FWIW, I just stuck my first reflection panels flat on the walls and ceiling too. But I've got lots of bass traps in the corners and ceiling wall junctions.

How was the sound changed?
Or did you notice a difference?

Sonnie said he didn't notice a difference when he put up his panels, hence the questions to see if maybe a different placement may make a difference.

JCD
post #7 of 24 Old 05-08-06, 07:54 PM
Shackster
Derek

When I put the side panels up I noticed a slight inprovment in imaging. Vocals were more defined. Nice but not eye opening.

The ceiling was a waste of time, but they sure do look cool in the room. Sonnie and I have the same speakers which have very limited vertical disspersion. Sitting or standing makes a big difference. I actually have mine on stands (these are 40"+ towers)

Side wall and ceiling panels set me back about $150, and it was fun. It did make the room "deader" and it was pretty live to begin with. A lot of slap echo.

Bass traps: I feel about these like others feel about PEQ's. I wouldn't have a room without them. HUGE improvemnet!!!! Even the wife wants bass traps in the family room (2 channel system) when we remodel it. I'll never have another system w/o them.

All in all I'm very happy with the sound in my room. Like Sonnie, I'm not really a critical listener though. Been there in years gone by, but now I just enjoy the music or movie not the equipment.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-09-06, 12:04 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Those RM30's also have very limited horizontal dispersion unless you got the waveguides installed.

Funny you mention putting them on stands Derek... I can simply lean my head over or slump down in my chair and the highs seem to come more alive.

Another thing to keep in mind JCD is that I had no slap echo at all before installing my panels. I also have my RM30's toed in and pointing directly at the center listening position so I would have less reflection off the side walls as a result of toe-in. Now when I get my new RM30's with the waveguides, it could be a whole different story. I may be thankful I have the side panels then. Only thing is I really won't know because although my panels are supposedly removeable... I have been unable to get them unstuck. lol
post #9 of 24 Old 05-09-06, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

I did remember about the relative 'deadness' of your room, but when I looked at the pics of your HT, it looked like the panels were a little low/out of place -- it's hard to tell from the picture. Anyway, if they could be moved, it's a free and easy tweak to play with -- I like both of those, free (I am a CPA after all ) and tweak (I enjoy 'playing' with my system ). Also, I have very limited first hand knowledge with accoustic panels, so I wanted to know how much of what I've "read" matches up with the real world. Especially since I hope to build some in the near future.

JCD
post #10 of 24 Old 05-10-06, 01:05 AM
Shackster
John

Gentlemen:

I dropped off a dozen 2" x 2' x4' c703 rigid fiberglass panels and some "transparent" fabric at my favorite craftsman's upholstery shop today. He's going to make frames to avoid crushing the fiberglass and to facilitate affixing and stretching the fabric. I'm planning on 6-8 panels for the sidewalls and ceiling for "first reflection" points. The others will probably "front" my corner traps with acoustical cotton behind.

We have good readings on our dual sub FR without treatment and know our room is prone to slap echo. If we can tame the echo and clean up the waterfall plots on the bottom octave with the wall/ceiling treatments and corner traps, I think room eq wizard and my bfq2496 will help me take care of the rest. My hard goal is +/- 3db from 15-100hz, then killing any midbass nodes and reducing the reflective hash that reduces coherent spatial cues.

I've got a decent idea where I'm headed with this, but would appreciate any hints from others.

BTW: JCD, Roll on you Bears. Cal '79, living a bit south of the Bay Area but still a hoops season tix holder...