Initial subjective testing of room treatments... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 09-15-09, 05:50 PM
Banned!

Re: Initial subjective testing of room treatments...

You can't practically diffuse bass frequencies, the waves are far too long.

Also, don't forget you have corners where the floor and ceiling intersect the walls. These may be a preferable place for you to trap, just below your cabinet doors. You could also build custom panels for the back 4-6" of those 2 insets to either die of your TV.

Other than that, your front wall doesn't have a lot of opportunities for acoustic treatment. If you don't have much ringing, focus on your side wall/ceiling reflections, in addition to what I've already mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 09-16-09, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TK

Ok, so no diffusing bass...that sounds more logical. First reflections and mid/treble dampening seems to help make my room less harsh currently with moving these 2'x4' panels around.

On another note (low ones specifically), I do notice in my front corners, more forward than my side located subs (basically behind my mains), there is a severe lack of bass. I put my head down near the floor in the corner and notice almost no bass. Now, I don't normally listen to my music while lying behind my main speakers with my head in the corner, but this got me thinking about bass traps up front. If I can't hear an increase in bass volume in a location along a wall or in a corner, does that correlate to perhaps not needing a bass trap in that location or its effectiveness if placed there? In other areas of my room along a wall or near the back corner, I can hear an increase in bass. I know this is common and thus why it's recommended to avoid seating along walls. So what about the front lack of bass and the need or no need for bass traps in those areas. I'll experiment with measurements and listening once I place some of these superchunks I'm about to cut, but wanted to get some theory regarding what I'm hearing versus standing waves and corner issues. Thanks.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-16-09, 03:44 PM
Banned!

Okay, I'm officially out of my depth here, so hopefully someone else will jump in, but in the meantime...

Bass waves radiate fairly omni-directionally, so bass waves are definitely hitting that corner. If you're not hearing any bass, however, it's likely because the reflections are canceling each other out at that particular place (creating a null). However, those reflections at another place in the room, like your listening position, may end up reinforcing each other and creating a peak instead of a null (neither of which is desirable). So, you want to reduce reflections in that corner regardless.

Once again, just miy understanding, which could be wrong. Anyone else?

post #14 of 14 Old 09-16-09, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TK

That makes sense, the waves would still be there as bass is omni-directional and corners, particularily tri-corners, are the most troublesome. Man, from y'all here to an abundant amount of info on the internet regarding studio setup, etc., I'm getting an education! I'll be treating with short superchunks initially all corners of the room. If those pass WAF muster, I'll perhaps expand those superckunks to go the full height in the rear corner that allows it. I'm not sure what to do with the coves, if anything at this point. Those are a great visual lighting focal point in the room my wife likes, so I'd perhaps be best to leave them alone.

Ok, another bass question, does the corner trap (trihedral corner) have to actually reach all the way into the corner? I see some trihedral corner traps that are fairly thick, but don't extend all the way into the corner. The same for linear two-wall corners - what's the rule of thumb here?

Last edited by boarder1995; 09-16-09 at 04:26 PM.