Bass traps - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 56 Old 10-31-06, 02:38 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: Bass traps

Quote:
If they don't work out just return them (as they're still in the package) or further insulate your home.
Great idea.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 Old 10-31-06, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

Thanks again for the info and links! Had a thought, not sure if it is doable or feasible so correct me if need be. Basically have two discs, say MDF 2,5cm (1") thick and give them a diameter of 40cm (15,75"), join them using a sturdy dowel rod about 100cm (40") long. Wrap fibreglass insulation around the dowel using duct tape or wire to hold the insulation in place if need be. Not sure how tightly they would need to be wrapped/packed? Then ask my girlfriend very nicely to make a cover for them out of material. I could then place these in the corners and maybe somewhere along the side walls, these could then be used as stands for plants or lamps etc. Suggestions and comments most welcome.

post #13 of 56 Old 11-01-06, 09:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

> According to Jon Risch the pipe insulation traps don't do anything because the material is too dense. <

That's bad advice. Pipe insulation absolutely works.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 56 Old 11-02-06, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Probably going to try the tube traps as soon as I can get to the hardware store. Should they not do anything I amy well try the 'quick and dirty' traps. Have more questions though, is BIGGER BETTER? What influence will the internal diameter have and should I go for the thicker wall size. Also, would fiiling the inner cavity with fibreglass have any effect, it kind of makes sense to me that it would make a difference. In the articles I have read both suugest leaving half of the tube reflective and half not, WHY? Am sure will have more questions still. Thank you for all the assistance thus far

post #15 of 56 Old 11-02-06, 06:14 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Bigger is better (deeper at least).

I'll sit on the fence between Ethan and Jon. Jon is incorrect that the issue is density. He is correct in that per area of floor taken up, there are a LOT better, more effective, cheaper solutions than pipe insulation. It's not that it can't work.

IF you fill the tube with fluffy stuff, it can work pretty well - if you can get maybe a 16" or larger diameter tube. But, think how far that will stick out into the room. A 2' wide chunk in the corner provides more surface area exposed directly to the room and takes up half the floorspace.

There CAN be issues with density if you expect the tubes to be broadband absorbers. For the same reason that less dense materials work better for reflection absorbers when you have shallow angles of incidence. With a tube, you have TONS of refections at those shallow angles. This is only an issue from say 1kHz up but I personally don't want that area spraying around randomly in my front soundstage.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #16 of 56 Old 11-02-06, 10:41 AM
Senior Shackster

jack

I have built a few of the tube traps using the instructions at http://www.teresaudio.com/heaven/traps/traps.html.

They weren't that hard to build, but they weren't that easy either.

The problem for me, being a perfectionist, was the circle tops and bottoms, I used a router and a circle jig and cutting down 1/8 in at a time made a nice template, then I used a 'tracer' bit, mounted to a router in a table, and stacked the template on a roughly cut piece to make the others. It was time consuming and the circle gig, and template bit ended up costing me about $50 USD

I can settle the density question - I weighed a piece after removing the foil, and caluclated how many cubic feet were in the piece I weighed - (these were Knauff 1000deg pipe wrap) - it came out to 3Lb/cubic foot.

I made 2 approx 22 inch diameter, 2 inch wall thickness traps, and 4 appox 13 inch diameter 1.5" thickness traps.

I have to say I didn't notice a huge difference with them.

I will take some room measurements and post them at some point in the next few weeks.

In the mean time, I think the idea insulation rolls from the home store is a great one - as pointed out - it's cheap, easy, and easily reversible.

I'll also comment that The traps look ridiculous. I honestly think the marginal improvement in acoustics doesn't justify the look on my wifes face. There has got to be a better way....

Last edited by basementjack; 11-19-06 at 07:47 AM.
post #17 of 56 Old 11-02-06, 12:53 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Looks is certainly an issue - hence my point on the slabs straddling a corner taking up a LOT less space.

Now, if you take that same 22" tube and fill the middle with fluffy fiberglass, I think you'd notice a larger difference in the bottom end.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #18 of 56 Old 11-06-06, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Will be picking up some high density rockwool panels tomorrow and ave decided to cut them into wedges and stack them in the front corners. From one package I will be able to get two traps which will be 50cm across and 100cm tall, plus some wood for a frame and some material to cover them and the total cost should be about $25. Hopefully they will make a difference and depending on the results wil make another two for the rear corners. Once I have made the traps will post as to any results.

post #19 of 56 Old 11-06-06, 05:18 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Since I'll be working on my room soon (hopefully) and will be addressing the accoustics as well, I look forward to your impressions of the results.

JCD
post #20 of 56 Old 11-06-06, 07:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

I am also interested in your results as I plan to to build a pair of these.
May I ask what is the density and thickness of the Rockwool you are using?
I don't think the OC703 product is available in Canada but I have found a Roxul Rockwool product that may work.It is called Drain Board and is 1" thick with a density of 8lbs pcf.It is even dense enough to cut on a table saw.