Bass traps - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 56 Old 11-21-06, 02:43 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: Bass traps

Quote:
Probably won't use the waterfall as I do not really understand what I am looking at when looking at the results?
But isn't the waterfall plot the exact tool you want to use to evaluate the effectiveness of traps?

See this very interesting acticle on the subject of EQualization using a BFD versus using Traps, where they use waterfalls to test the results (with comments by member Ethan Winer). Perhaps he could comment further here.

Wayne P. also talks about waterfalls here.

With great respect to your ears, I think with all the nice work you're putting into this project, it would be a nice idea to do some REW testing, so we can all evaluate along with you.

brucek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 Old 11-21-06, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

No need to respect my ears, they are not that great! Thanks for the links, had a look at both, must say that as it is a little late here Ethan Winer's stuff did not get the attention it deserved. Wayne P's post in the second link does make some kind of sense and probably will make more sense after the second reading. As soon as I get the next two traps ready I will take some measurements using REW, will also do some waterfall plots after doing some more reading. Using REW is still a bit intimidating but am getting the hang of it!

post #43 of 56 Old 11-21-06, 03:51 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Here's another thread on waterfalls where I show my complete ignorance on the subject and where I learned a few things...... It seems quite important to set up the x and y axis and time. Waterfall is simply a response in slices of time after the main response to show how it decays....

brucek

post #44 of 56 Old 11-21-06, 08:58 PM
JBL-4645
Inactive

Fincave

Hay mate that is a doodle thanks, Iíll check into the pricing for the materials, I doubt it will cost much and the glue as well to stick the separate pieces together.

If I didnít see it written mate, how many slabs of rockwool was needed to create the triangular shapes?

Last edited by JBL-4645; 11-21-06 at 09:02 PM. Reason: text
post #45 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Brucek: Thanks for the link again, will look into it and post results as soon as I have some.

JBL-4645: I did not even glue the separate pieces together, just placed then into the triangular shaped bag of which the rear seam was left open, the final triangle had to be cut into two and then the seam is done by hand. The bag is cut pretty much to exact size and so it is quite a tight fit. I purchased one packet of panels as the store where I bought them will not sell loose panels, some stores will though. Panels were 120cm by 60cm, cut into half giving 60cm by 60cm, these were then cut into four triangles giving a size of 60cm by 42,5cm by 42,5cm. I used seven 50mm panels and got eight pieces from each panel for a total of 56 triangles, am using 16 triangles for each trap that I am placing in the front corners and 12 triangles for the rear traps, giving a height of 80cm and 60 cm respectively. It would have been handy if the rockwoll slabs were thicker as then the cutting would have been less, the ones I am using can be had as thick as 130mm but were not in stock and would have cost considerably ore as transport costs wuld have been added. Total price for panels was 45€ and about 14€ for the black sheet material, not expensive at all, especially if they work.

post #46 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 05:39 AM
JBL-4645
Inactive

Fincave

Gotcha, thanks mate, did you spray paint them, not sure but from the look of the image it looks as if they where coloured, could have been the light on the camera?

Estimated cost for argument sakes?

PS. £45.00 UK pounds?

Last edited by JBL-4645; 11-22-06 at 05:42 AM. Reason: text
post #47 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Just covered in material, no spray paint. 60€ is about £40

post #48 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 05:56 AM
JBL-4645
Inactive

Fincave

Hay mate, Iím going to put together a few Bob, that means money and get some (ridged rockwool) fabric makes sense!

I take it you have to glue the sides of it to stick to the walls, (liquid nails) you know that stuff that keeps it from falling off the wall!?

Thanks mate thatís all the information I need, thank you.
post #49 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 02:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: Bass traps

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
Here's another thread on waterfalls where I show my complete ignorance on the subject and where I learned a few things...... It seems quite important to set up the x and y axis and time. Waterfall is simply a response in slices of time after the main response to show how it decays....
Indeed, waterfall plots are useful because they show ringing as well as the raw low frequency response. Excess ringing is just as damaging as peaks and nulls, and it's the main cause of what's euphemistically known as "one note bass," where every bass note sounds more or less the same regardless of its pitch. Besides the links already provided, this article on the RealTraps site explains how I use the ETF software, which is similar in function to REW:

www.realtraps.com/art_etf.htm

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #50 of 56 Old 11-22-06, 11:21 PM
Senior Shackster

jack

In addition to using something for your before/after measurements (REW/ETF/Etc)- it might also be neat to use some real time Analyzer software - feeding it with the output of your preamp - I've seen posts where someone does this to watch the 'source' so they can visually confirm bass heavy/weak recordings.

Are you a PC or Mac user?