Any benefit of Bass Trappings not in corners? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-06, 12:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: Any benefit of Bass Trappings not in corners?

Scott,

> i have read that you can take a concrete form (sonno tube) plug it and fill it with sand for base trapping. <

Sorry, no, that's a myth. A tube filled with sand won't help even a tiny bit.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 12-14-06, 03:15 PM
steve shisler
Inactive

Re: Any benefit of Bass Trappings not in corners?

Thanks for all the feedback.

My latest thoughts are perhaps constructing freestanding, floor to ceiling, traps for 3 or 4 of my corners. I thinking of making them from a wooden skeleton, plywood or mdf, using Owens Corning 705 panels, shoot for 4 inches? thick. I would attempt to make them attractive on the face with perhaps some speaker grill cloth, or other material.

What I probably would not want to do is attach them to the wall corners, rather just slide them in as tight as possible into the corner. Goal would be 2 ft width at the widest portion/front. Any thoughts?

I'd try to attach some photos of my theater but I don't see any way to add an attachment.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-15-06, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Steve,

> I thinking of making them from a wooden skeleton, plywood or mdf, using Owens Corning 705 panels, shoot for 4 inches? thick. <

Sure.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-15-06, 05:23 PM
steve shisler
Inactive

I poked around on the site and figured out I can post photos in a different area. So here's a link to a few photos of my room:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/phot....php/photo/215

I'm thinking I can occupy 4 of the corners as follows, fireplace corner with a 4 ft wide trap, full corner behind the bar with 2 ft wide trap, short corner behind the bar where the fridge is with 2 ft wide trap, and the corner where the pool cues sit with 2 ft wide trap.

So if my math is right that gives me about 70 sq ft of trapping that face the room in these corners as my ceiling is about 7 1/2 ft high. Is that a number that is significant enough to be worth the effort and new cosmetic appearance that would result?

If I go through with making these units would it be better to pack them full of the 705 and not leave air space behind the corner units, or is the airspace beneficial?

Would a mix of say 2 inches of 703 and 2 inches of 705 be better than just 705?

Thanks for all the expert help, I've been a long time member at hometheaterspot and avscience but am enjoying the shack a great deal!

Last edited by steve shisler; 12-15-06 at 06:05 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-16-06, 11:44 AM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Steve,

> So if my math is right that gives me about 70 sq ft of trapping that face the room in these corners as my ceiling is about 7 1/2 ft high. Is that a number that is significant enough to be worth the effort and new cosmetic appearance that would result? <

Yes!

> If I go through with making these units would it be better to pack them full of the 705 and not leave air space behind the corner units, or is the airspace beneficial? <

Solid is best, but there are diminishing returns. So you'd do better using the same amount of material to cover more total surface.

> Would a mix of say 2 inches of 703 and 2 inches of 705 be better than just 705? <

No. At least not for bass trapping.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
post #16 of 16 Old 01-03-07, 03:12 PM
Shackster

scot

I have found that the corners are virtually useless for damping in my room. Seriously.

It is L-shaped, which might be part of the issue but my guess is that any normal non custom constructed converted home theater will be somewhat similar. I have 4 home made (and ugly as sin) bass tubes using insulation I compressed with chicken wire and covered with burlap. They sat in the corners forever. I started doing measurements with my new behringer mic and REW, and found I had 20+db dips at just under 60, 80 and 120hz. Walking around the room I could hear it get REALLY loud, then really quiet, so based on that I moved my sub around until I got what looked like the best application, then placed the tubes in the "loud" spots. With just one moved into a loud spot, it pushed up my db reading 6db.

Just so you understand how I checked that, I set the REW playing a constant tone at that specific freq ( 56.4) and watched the number. Put the tube where it was loud in the room, and it went from 60db to 66. I removed it, back to 60, put it back, back to 66.

Put a few more tubes in other loud spots, and gained another 2 or so each one. Then I noticed while moving one if I had it above my head the reading shot up to about 74, which is getting close to where it should be. This is 8ft up, in the middle of the room, so it is hard to imagine I could actually put something there, but...

I think the moral of the story here is that you need to figure out where to put the absorbers based on your room. The first reflection points are obvious, but reality is too complex to just say "here here here and here" for second, third, fouth etc.

If your corners are in a null (like mine) then the absorbers will do squat there.