Bass traps or EQ - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 79 Old 04-25-07, 09:32 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Bass traps or EQ

Agreed. Looks like 4 bands of parametric would bring things pretty nicely in line. The treatments will help quite a bit and deal with the decay time part of the equation. The EQ is the finishing touch to deal with the last few stubborn peaks that can be caused by any number of things.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 Old 04-25-07, 10:08 AM
gto
Inactive

Quote:
F1 fan wrote: View Post
Here is the finished product.I plan to mount them on the upper half of the corner and may add a solid pine end cap on them to dress them up a bit.
Is there a reason why you built it not with facing the corner in the room? Would be more efficient.
Lamda 1/4

br Gerd
post #73 of 79 Old 04-25-07, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

Quote:
gto wrote: View Post
Is there a reason why you built it not with facing the corner in the room? Would be more efficient.
Lamda 1/4

br Gerd
Hi gto,sorry Im not really sure what you are asking,but to clarify it is triangular shaped so it is meant to fit tight into a corner with the absorbative side facing into the room.
If it were a regular 4" flat panel then straddling it across a corner so that there was an air space behind it would increase it's effectiveness.

post #74 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 01:00 AM
Tigerkn
Inactive

Hello F1 fan,

If it is not too much trouble, could you please post steps of making it and materials also cost?
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Kev.

Quote:
Here is the finished product.I plan to mount them on the upper half of the corner and may add a solid pine end cap on them to dress them up a bit.
post #75 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 04:02 AM
gto
Inactive

Quote:
Hi gto,sorry Im not really sure what you are asking,but to clarify it is triangular shaped so it is meant to fit tight into a corner with the absorbative side facing into the room.
If it were a regular 4" flat panel then straddling it across a corner so that there was an air space behind it would increase it's effectiveness.
Its not easy to explain with my poor english.

Lets take a pic.

Hope this is understandably?

br Gerd
post #76 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 05:08 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Yes, that would buy you a little bit of extra extension at some angles of attack - at others it would be pretty much the same or less. Think of the waves that come down hugging the side walls. How much absorbtion do they go through turned around vs. tucked in the corners?

Plus, tucked in the corner take up a LOT less room and still provide excellend absorbtion.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #77 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 06:20 AM
gto
Inactive

IMHO its a question of what your room needs.
In kind of acoustic principles/physics its clear, that you loose absorbtion in deeper frequencies.
But out of my experiences its a question of what your measurings show you.
If you want to perform well, then you should look for a evenly respons over a max frequencierange.
And only a good measuring with RT60 shown on watterfall will tell you whats needet.

No question, that it is allways a balance between waste room, how it looks like and how far I am willing to go.

br Gerd
post #78 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

Quote:
gto wrote: View Post
Its not easy to explain with my poor english.

Lets take a pic.

Hope this is understandably?

br Gerd
OK gto now I see what you meant. I would think further gains would be had if you also filled the big air gap with some more mineral wool or fibreglass thus making it a cube instead of a triangle.That would substantially increase material thickness.
post #79 of 79 Old 04-26-07, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

Quote:
Tigerkn wrote: View Post
Hello F1 fan,

If it is not too much trouble, could you please post steps of making it and materials also cost?
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Kev.

Hi Kev,no trouble at all.These are very easy and inexpensive to build.

1)The frames consist of only four pieces-Using 1/2" plywood I cut two triangles one for the top,and one bottom.Then the support and back pieces were cut to length.Measure and see what the maximum height and width that you can fit into your corners.The bigger the better.

2)For assembly I used some nails and wood glue. see post #15 in this thread for a pic of the finished frame.As an alternative you could use crg's method (shown in post #59) of building the frames.

3)Cut mineral wool or fibreglass into triangles the exact same size as the top and bottom panel of the frame.I used a utily knife and one of the plywood triangles as a cutting guide.Stack them on top of each other until frame is full .For reference see crg's pics in post #62.

4)Cover the front (and top or bottom if needed)with some acoustically transparent material that matches with your decor.I used an electric staple gun to staple the material to the back of the frames.

approximate costs.

1 bag 3" Roxul brand mineral wool - $25

plywood -$25

cover material $10-15

I hope that is helpfull.