In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 34 Old 01-26-07, 08:33 PM
George
Inactive

Re: In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included.

Quote:
Derek wrote: View Post
I would change all your speaker settings to small. Next try sliding that sub about 6 ft towards the couch. Get it out of the corner.
What are the output settings on the reciever and sub? Are they both turned down low? Is one low and the other maxed out?

I'd also get some absorbtion at the first reflection points. Your main speakers are against the walls which will reflect and cause a blurred image. Rigid fiberglass or GIK panels will help this immensely.
OK, I have done some experimenting. After trying all suggestions, my system sounds very crisp, almost achingly so. Thank you all for the points and suggestions made. I think my room is the trouble; more exact my listening position. I took a walk around my room after the tweaking was finished, and this is what I find: the bass sounds AMAZING in every spot in the room except the main listening position in the center. How wonderful. If I want to watch my movies while circling the circumference of the room, my system sounds A-1. Now for anyone out there knowing what this is symptomatic of, please point me in the right direction.

The bass response is shaking things in every spot except the center position where the main listening position is, rendering very lack luster and almost non existent low frequency. All the speakers are now set correctly, I manually adjusted each one according to its size and limitations as I did with the sub. Full frequency on the sub, but 80 Hz on the receiver. Actually changing the cross over has little effect on the frequency in the "dead" position. There is none to speak of.

Help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 01-27-07, 08:33 AM
Lewis

Quote:
George wrote: View Post
OK, I have done some experimenting. After trying all suggestions, my system sounds very crisp, almost achingly so. Thank you all for the points and suggestions made. I think my room is the trouble; more exact my listening position. I took a walk around my room after the tweaking was finished, and this is what I find: the bass sounds AMAZING in every spot in the room except the main listening position in the center. How wonderful. If I want to watch my movies while circling the circumference of the room, my system sounds A-1. Now for anyone out there knowing what this is symptomatic of, please point me in the right direction.

The bass response is shaking things in every spot except the center position where the main listening position is, rendering very lack luster and almost non existent low frequency. All the speakers are now set correctly, I manually adjusted each one according to its size and limitations as I did with the sub. Full frequency on the sub, but 80 Hz on the receiver. Actually changing the cross over has little effect on the frequency in the "dead" position. There is none to speak of.

Help...

Hi George - greetings from New Brunswick. I have been looking around for a SPL meter and can't find one at the "source". Did you get one at a real Radio Shack or the Source?

On your bass issues - I'm no expert but it sounds (pardon the pun) to me like you are in a null position with some serious standing waves at bass frequencies in the room. Do a search and get one of the mode calculators (realtraps site has one) and see where the position of nulls appear in your room and if they coincide with the seating position. If that's the problem, I think the next step might be some bass trapping to lower the null/peaks and bring things more even across different seating positions. You should wait for the experts to chime in on this because I am just learning all this stuff myself......

Cheers,
Lewis
post #23 of 34 Old 01-27-07, 10:13 AM
Shackster
Derek

I had a sneeking hunch, that was going to happen. I was hoping sliding the sub to ~1/3 the rooms length was going to help. Some folks will suggest EQing your sub, but my experience has been to EQ only after treating the room. First try moving the sub around (maybe half way up the wall or under the screen?) to see if this helps. Next I'd contact GIK and/or Realtraps for solutions. I have Realtraps and a friend has GIK. Both are excellent products that are well worth the money. You can also go the DIY route, but that is a little more hassle. Since you can't change the room dimensions, bass trapping is your best solution.

post #24 of 34 Old 01-27-07, 12:18 PM
George
Inactive

Hi Lewiscobb greeting from NS. I cannot locate an SPL meter anywhere from the "Source". I prefer to refer to it as the "source of major inconvenience" now that they rid themselves of the Radio Shack brand. I did locate something similar at the local music store in their microphone/mixer section for about $75. Haven't purchesed it yet as I am holding out to find this rare RS meter.

As I have been reading more and more it does seem that I am in the null position in my room. Dead center. This mode calculator worked great when I plugged in my info, but I am unsure how that applies to "where" in the room those frequencies are hitting or dipping, since it is only a graph. According to the result this what I find:

I am very new to this to, so if something is glaringly obvious, let me know..

Last edited by George; 01-27-07 at 12:20 PM. Reason: inserted pic
post #25 of 34 Old 01-27-07, 03:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included.

George,

> This mode calculator worked great when I plugged in my info, but I am unsure how that applies to "where" in the room those frequencies are hitting or dipping <

Exactly. My mode calculator is mainly to help people design a new room, where they have the luxury of establishing the dimensions. It's not so useful for evaluating an existing room. For that you need to measure using something like Room EQ Wizard.

I'll also mention that the frequency response at any given cubic inch location in a room is the sum of the direct sound from the loudspeakers plus many reflections arriving from all over the place at different volume levels and with different amounts of time delay / phase shift. So it's impossible to predict accurately what the response will be. Hence the need to measure.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-27-07, 08:16 PM
Lewis

Quote:
George wrote: View Post
Hi Lewiscobb greeting from NS. I cannot locate an SPL meter anywhere from the "Source". I prefer to refer to it as the "source of major inconvenience" now that they rid themselves of the Radio Shack brand. I did locate something similar at the local music store in their microphone/mixer section for about $75. Haven't purchesed it yet as I am holding out to find this rare RS meter.

As I have been reading more and more it does seem that I am in the null position in my room. Dead center. This mode calculator worked great when I plugged in my info, but I am unsure how that applies to "where" in the room those frequencies are hitting or dipping, since it is only a graph. According to the result this what I find:

I am very new to this to, so if something is glaringly obvious, let me know..

George -
I had no idea you were so close to me I am usually conversing with fellows on the opposite side of the planet on these forums. I think the answer will be to try and hold off until you can get the "real" RS SPL meter as there are calibration files that are floating around for this unit when you download and start using REW (or you drop some money on the ETF program). I have not used either but I am slowly reading and "learn'n up" on this stuff myself.

Our company sells a lot of stuff to the USA and one of our sales guys is always down there on business. I might have him pick up one of these SPL meters for me on his next trip. If you want to piggyback on this, send me a PM with your e-mail and we can "jaw" more about it. The downside is it's not going to be in the next few days but possibly in the next month.

Hey - I just realized that you might be able to help me with something. I'm coming to Halifax on Sunday (tomorrow) and might be there on Monday as well. I'm interested in visiting any furniture shops that might carry the Berkline home theater seating products as I'd like to sit on some and see what they feel like. I'll be ordering from one of the sponsors on the avs forum when I get them, but I'd like it to be a somewhat less than "blind" purchase. Let me know who the major furniture fellows are in the area down there and I'll make a circuit when I am in town.

Cheers,
Lewis
post #27 of 34 Old 01-28-07, 01:55 PM
George
Inactive

Lewis, the major theater chair retailers that I went to in Halifax were at Worldwide Furniture where I purchased mine. The Elan chairs are made in Montreal and we liked the comfort and the microfibre material. I am not sure of their other products. There is La-Z-Boy, but that will only be their brand of theater seating. Try "Gallery 1 " on the Dartmouth side, and for more brand name theater seating there is a HT company in the Bayers Lake Industrial Park called Fidelis that may be able to help you out as well.

Best of luck. The Home Theater train has really yet to hit this city, so the choices are not that diverse.
post #28 of 34 Old 01-28-07, 06:58 PM
Lewis

George - thanks for the tips. We're in the same boat in NB - and probably further behind as far as ht seating. There is a Sears Home store in Moncton that has carried the Berkline 088 style from time to time, as well as Palliser and I think the Elan ones as well. I'll have a gander around the shops that you mentioned tomorrow morning (I'm actually in Halifax now - Sunday night)

Cheers,
Lewis
post #29 of 34 Old 02-02-07, 03:56 PM
George
Inactive

Well, I have given up finding the RS meter as I have been reading the HK 635 has a automatic built in parametric EQ that you can't access unless you run the EZSetup routine. I ran my machine with EZSet/EQ the first time fully auto with -28 dB and around ear level. Then set the speakers all of which were set to LARGE, to SMALL. pushed up the sub volume a bit and checked the rest of the settings and all seemed good. The result was ear splitting high range with no bottom. So back to the drawing board, ran EZSet/Eq about half way from ear level to recommended (3ft above ear) (using a tri-pod) and the result although it set all speakers to LARGE the overall sound was more true and natural. The Receiver seems to be able to do what I cannot manually, and just makes it work...better.

I will certainly be buying some acoustic panels in the future and I am sure that will bring my bass issues to a close. I have had an estimate done by Auralex and they have suggested placement and a package for me based on my layout. A bit pricey but it will likely do the trick.

Last edited by George; 02-03-07 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Got the acoustic panel company wrong...
post #30 of 34 Old 02-02-07, 08:33 PM
Lewis

Hey George - I forgot to send you a note after I got back from Halifax last weekend. We got to all the places you suggested and although I did not find the berkline series anywhere, I did get to see a few other chairs that I had not seen before. I'm off to Atlanta in a couple of months to a trade show for work and we are driving, so I am going to scare up a few places to drop in along the way. I figure by the time that I get back I will have seen everything possible.

Cheers,
Lewis