In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 06:56 PM
George
Inactive

In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included.

Hi, I have recently built a dedicated theater room which I enjoy tremendously, but I would really love some input and advice on some things that I could do to make my listening experience even better. I have included the floor plan for the room in this thread, so as to give you a better idea what I am facing when trying to improve the sound quality in this space. The layout isn't ideal, but it was all I had to work with in my budget.

My biggest issue is that I have far too little bass in the room for what I was expecting when I purchased my sub. The Velodyne is rated at 1000 watts with a 15" woofer, so I am a bit surprised that I am not getting the response I expected. This could be a very general question, as I am new to this whole level of critical listening, but I "feel" something is off. After reviewing the room and equipment, if anyone has any opinion or comments to make on this issue , or my system in general, please feel free to share it. I appreciate any advice or constructive criticism. All are welcome. Thanks!

My Room

My Equipment

Infocus IN76 DLP Projector
92" Screen Innovations Fixed Screen
Harmon Kardon 635 A/V Receiver
Control4 Home Theater Controller
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc DVD Changer
Pioneer PD-F1009 301-Disc Changer
Bell ExpressVu 9200 / 9220 Dual HDTV Tuner PVR
Xbox 360 (patched into home network)
Athena Audition AS-B2 Speakers (1 pair)
Athena Audition AS-R2 Bi-pole Surrounds (1 pair)
Athena Audition AS-C1 Center Channel Speaker
Velodyne DLS-5000R Subwoofer
Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner (Components)
Furman AC-215 Compact Power Conditioner (Projector)

Last edited by George; 01-23-07 at 07:50 PM. Reason: upgraded account to allow photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 06:59 PM
George
Inactive

Re: In need of a little acoustical advice. Room layout included.

delete

Last edited by George; 01-23-07 at 07:54 PM. Reason: not part of thread now that account has been fixed
post #3 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hi George and sorry for the inconvenience... undoubtedly you missed this part of the PM we sent you after registration...

Quote:
THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT PRIVATE MESSAGE - - - PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND READ IT COMPLETELY! THANKS!

You must have a minimum of five posts in order to be able to post URL links and for a few other minor features. This is to help protect us from spammers. You may request an exception to this rule if you use the Contact Us link at the forum and simply let us know you are not a spammer. We apologize for this inconvenience.
I have upgraded your account... you can edit your post and include a link/URL if you so desire now.

post #4 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 07:33 PM
George
Inactive

Oh thanks! I just sent an email requesting this. Sorry for the memory lapse. I read the warning, when I first logged on, but after I wrote my post, it never occurred to me as I hit send.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 08:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hi George,
Have you used an SPL meter to set the balance between speakers and sub., or just the Receivers auto setup?
Are you using bass traps? do you have any acoustic treatments?..
A little more info. would help in sorting out your problem..
post #6 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 09:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Gee George... you wrote a lot for it not to get posted... I hate that. We may have to look at an alternative for slowing down spammers. I know a lot of members may forget.

Are you familiar with REW (Room EQ Wizard)? I think the first thing to do would be make sure your levels are correct, as Prof. suggests. Then I think you should download the latest version of REW and let's measure your response. We may very well see the problem and be able to address it better.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-23-07, 10:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Is this room above or below ground? I'm a big believer in the value of room treatments and proper EQ'ing. I'm going to quote from bpape from another thread as to the methodology to address your problem.

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post

- Deal with what you can first via placement of seating, speakers and sub.
- Treat the room to deal with modal issues and to bring overall decay time into place using broadband treatments
- Use tuned absorbers if feasible to deal with narrow, more stubborn issues
- Use EQ to deal with the last few peaks in response.

Bryan
Have you tried moving your sub around? Moving it closer or further from the wall? Moving to a different corner? A Velodyne DLS-5000R should rock that room like no one's business.
post #8 of 34 Old 01-24-07, 10:42 AM
George
Inactive

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Hi George,
Have you used an SPL meter to set the balance between speakers and sub., or just the Receivers auto setup?
Are you using bass traps? do you have any acoustic treatments?..
A little more info. would help in sorting out your problem..
I have used the auto setup and my home theater guy did check the levels a few months ago and said it was good... but I still don't feel that punch I hoped I would. My bookshelf speakers are setup as LARGE as well as my rear bipoles (which seems a bit strange as they have small 5" drivers), I am going out to buy my own Radio Shack SPL meter and try the REW software with it. Hopefully the stats that I get from that will give someone with good knowledge of the software a good idea where the room/or equipment setup is lacking.

I haven't any bass traps or sound absorbers, although I have seen a few good diy projects that will be wife friendly in the looks department. Although I am unsure where to begin placing them.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-24-07, 10:46 AM
George
Inactive

Quote:
BoomieMCT wrote: View Post
Is this room above or below ground? I'm a big believer in the value of room treatments and proper EQ'ing. I'm going to quote from bpape from another thread as to the methodology to address your problem.

Have you tried moving your sub around? Moving it closer or further from the wall? Moving to a different corner? A Velodyne DLS-5000R should rock that room like no one's business.
Hi, Boomie. Thanks for the response. My room is inthe basement with concrete up to 2/3 of the wall behind the drywall. I haven't moved the sub too much yet, just where the theater guys placed it, but now I want to tune it to my ears..
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-07, 11:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Quote:
George wrote: View Post
My bookshelf speakers are setup as LARGE as well as my rear bipoles (which seems a bit strange as they have small 5" drivers)
Have you tried setting them as SMALL? Set as they are, your reciever might be trying to send low frequency information to the bookshelves that it should be sending to the sub.

Also, basement rooms (like mine too) are notorious for having nasty axial modes. Treatments will go a long way there.