Phase 1 -- Planning - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 35 Old 09-18-10, 10:24 AM
Banned!

Re: Phase 1 -- Planning

For DIY AT, Seymour AV is highly regarded (and made in Iowa), and Phifer Shearweave 4500. Woven seems to produce less Acoustic Problems with AT than perforated, and doesn't have quite the same possibility for moire problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 09-18-10, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4U2NVME

My System

What would you suggest if I were to do the non AT screen route. I have looked at Seymour and it looks nice, as well if I remember they gave a good plan for making a frame for the screen. I'll look at Shearweave 4500. Seymour suggested putting the material at a 15 degree angle I think to reduce moireing?!?!? The builder is coming over tomorrow, maybe we can find 2 extra feet in the plan somewhere lol... we will see, gotta get that one past the wife
post #23 of 35 Old 09-19-10, 09:28 AM
Banned!

Non AT recommendation would be the Black Widow paint mix found here on the Shack. I'd link, but it's hard to do on my mobile device. Maybe someone else can link for me, or just do a search for Black Widow and the official thread should pop up.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #24 of 35 Old 09-20-10, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4U2NVME

My System

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Non AT recommendation would be the Black Widow paint mix found here on the Shack. I'd link, but it's hard to do on my mobile device. Maybe someone else can link for me, or just do a search for Black Widow and the official thread should pop up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Marshall thanks for the reply, I have a hard enough time texting on my phone, nevermind leaving a form post.

I found the thread, its seems simple enough. And he is out of the Auto Air Aluminum Fine lol till October. I'll look around town here to see if I can find it. As long as I ask for that, does it matter who makes it? I don't know if I will paint it directly on my back wall. I think it would look better if I bring if off the back wall and create a drywall screen raised away from the front wall? Is that how most people have done it, or do they just paint the wall and project it on that with a felt or other black border.

I really wanted to light up the speakers behind the AT screen, but I just don't have the room. I will hide them behind panels. Anybody have any luck still highlighting them with light behind black fabric or the like? Lemme know.

-NV
post #25 of 35 Old 09-20-10, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4U2NVME

My System

Ok, I kept reading on and I get it, I don't paint the wall, I create a frame and paint some fabric/screen. I am not sure if the Black Widow post will give a suggestion of what type of material to paint, or do you have the option.

I assume this is the primer everybody is talking about. KILZ Oil based right? Humm in Canada I only see the Oil based Kilz and not the 2

Spend enough time and it all becomes clear: TaDA

Last edited by 4U2NVME; 09-20-10 at 01:13 AM.
post #26 of 35 Old 09-20-10, 11:38 AM
Banned!

Definitely post all BW questions in that thread and the experts will get back to you.
post #27 of 35 Old 09-23-10, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4U2NVME

My System

OK going with the 100 wide BW screen, If I want to make it a 2.4:1 screen and still be able to put on a 16:9 HD picture on it. What height would I go? I am using a Panny 4000 projector that has a constant height setting?

Would I just make the screen 100"/2.4 = 42"high? and then the 16:9 will fit to that? or do I make it

100/(16/9)=56.25 inches high?
post #28 of 35 Old 09-24-10, 11:33 AM
Banned!

I'm unfamiliar with how the constant height works on the Panny. Does it use optical zoom to preserve pixel density, or does it simply scale the image.

Mast folks would say, if you can, go with a 2.35 screen to fit the widest of motion pictures. Then, use a masking system, even basic black curtains, to mask for 1.85, 1.77, or 1.3 sources.
post #29 of 35 Old 09-24-10, 11:38 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

The only problem with side masking on an AT screen is that it puts your speakers behind the masking.

That's why personally, I prefer to get the 16:9 screen and then mask top and bottom.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #30 of 35 Old 09-24-10, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4U2NVME

My System

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
The only problem with side masking on an AT screen is that it puts your speakers behind the masking.

That's why personally, I prefer to get the 16:9 screen and then mask top and bottom.

Bryan
Because I am short on depth for my room, I don't think I can go the AT route =c(. Its a shame because I really wanted to do it that way. 30" takes away to much and sits me to close to the screen and back wall.