Bass trap placement - high or low? Does it matter? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 110 Old 12-13-10, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Bass trap placement - high or low? Does it matter?

I got a set of 4 Acoustimac 48x24x4" corner traps, and I'm wondering where to put them. Should they go up near the ceiling or down by the floor or in the middle? Or does it make any difference? I don't want them right on the ground because I don't want my cats mistaking them for scratching posts, but I don't have to put them right up against the ceiling to keep them out of claw range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 12-13-10, 11:41 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Re: Bass trap placement - high or low? Does it matter?

I'd keep them away from the cats for sure. Other than that you can take measurements to see where they are most effective. Probably won't be where you hope............. None the less, more is ultimately better than few.

Dan
post #3 of 110 Old 12-14-10, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
DanTheMan wrote: View Post
I'd keep them away from the cats for sure. Other than that you can take measurements to see where they are most effective. Probably won't be where you hope............. None the less, more is ultimately better than few.

Dan
Thanks, Dan. Does it matter if I have them firmly attached to the walls when I'm testing? Or can I just set them in place and take some measurements?

post #4 of 110 Old 12-18-10, 12:24 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Leaning should be fine.

Dan
post #5 of 110 Old 12-24-10, 03:22 PM
kam
Shackster

Quote:
Other than that you can take measurements to see where they are most effective.
But is there any general guidance on the issue of vertical positioning on a wall?

If the ideal place was found to be in the centre of a wall (between floor and Ceiling) would it make a significant difference to place them at the lower part of the wall - would it be the case that it would not be worth having them at all if you did this, or would it for example led to a % deterioration in performace?
post #6 of 110 Old 12-26-10, 03:09 PM
Senior Shackster

good that I found this thread, next week I will be installing my DIY bass trap... will check it back to get more info..
post #7 of 110 Old 12-27-10, 12:22 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Quote:
kam wrote: View Post
But is there any general guidance on the issue of vertical positioning on a wall?
It depends on who you talk to.
Quote:
kam wrote: View Post
If the ideal place was found to be in the centre of a wall (between floor and Ceiling) would it make a significant difference to place them at the lower part of the wall - would it be the case that it would not be worth having them at all if you did this, or would it for example led to a % deterioration in performace?
It would make a difference. Hard to say how much as every room is radically different. I'd place them somewhere near speaker/ear height in the corners behind the front main speakers d/t their broadband nature, but others could state reasonable placement options elsewhere.

Dan
post #8 of 110 Old 12-27-10, 06:01 PM
kam
Shackster

Thanks, would it make a difference on placrement of bass traps if using these tall floor standing units? Seeing that the cones go all the way down from the upper tweeter, I was thinking that the panels would go on the walls in the same vertical area (I will of course plot the reflection points to mark horizontal positions on the walls).
Attached Thumbnails
Bass trap placement - high or low?  Does it matter?-ma-rx-8-speakers.jpg  

post #9 of 110 Old 12-27-10, 09:18 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Everything makes a difference. In general, you want to absorb the whole front wall with something thick like 4" thick or so. Bass trapping the front corners with broadband absorption like John has. The next absorption point would be your first ipsilateral reflection and then the middle of the rear wall. Some people will also recommend absorbing the first reflection from the ceiling.

Dan
post #10 of 110 Old 12-28-10, 04:42 AM
kam
Shackster

Thanks, I understand that but my question is about the vertical placement of the traps at any given location. For example, on the rear and side wall reflection points, would it be ok to place them from skirting level up to match the height of the speakers shown, or do they have to be from the centre of the tweeter up?