When is room treatment needed - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 189 Old 01-04-11, 01:27 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: When is room treatment needed

Yeah - that can be a problem getting a screen before you establish seating position so the screen is driving seating instead of the other way around.

5' is better than 2-3' certainly and the response shows it. I've seen a lot worse response, trust me. Still needs some work but it's a better starting point.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 189 Old 01-04-11, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I will remember that next time!

I just realised that I was actually sitting 4 feet not 5 feet from the rear wall! Again looking at 5 feet feels too close to the screen and is in the middle of the doors so I am even further back than I thought!!

When you say that response needs work I take it you mean with room treatment as I have done all I can with placement?

Thanks
Marty
post #53 of 189 Old 01-04-11, 03:05 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

You could still potentially play with speaker and sub locations to see if anything else can be done. Treatment can add additional help but I'd like to get you as good as possible before hand so we can best identify what is causing the remaining problems.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions

post #54 of 189 Old 01-04-11, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
You could still potentially play with speaker and sub locations to see if anything else can be done. Treatment can add additional help but I'd like to get you as good as possible before hand so we can best identify what is causing the remaining problems.
Thanks again Bryan, appreciate it. I have tried every possible location for sub, the only extent I haven't gone to is moving the sub an inch at a time and measuring but that would take a very long time.

I tried the bipoles on ladders 2 feet behind me in the 5 feet foward (sorry 4 feet!) position and I think you were right because they dont sound much different now. I also tried listening to different film clips and moving them about. I tried them on the side wall, 1 tweeter facing towards me the other firing behind, I am not sure how the sound is meant to be heard from a bipole but they sound quite a bit different. I have been informed that they work on back or side walls. I watched the matrix where neo gets shot at by the agent and found on the side wall sounded great but very directional but on the rear wall it was less directional but seemed to be a bit less fluent when the first bullet whizzes down the left hand side of the room?
post #55 of 189 Old 01-05-11, 09:36 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Well, bipoles by nature would be hung with you sitting directly inside of them so you're in the null and they're not localizable. Back wall, I usually recommend monopoles.

The clarity is better now since you're away from where all the bass is building up and masking things back closer to the wall.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #56 of 189 Old 01-05-11, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Well, bipoles by nature would be hung with you sitting directly inside of them so you're in the null and they're not localizable. Back wall, I usually recommend monopoles.

The clarity is better now since you're away from where all the bass is building up and masking things back closer to the wall.

Bryan
That is strange about the bipoles, I always sat in the null as I originally thought they were dipoles and had them on the side wall. Someone from cedia said that they are 2 close to the rear wall (2 feet) and would be better placed on the rear wall 1/3 the width of the wall apart. When I moved them there the sound was poor! We were still sitting in the nulls but was really disappointed with the rear soundstage, I could never hear much going at all, like I never even had any rear speakers. Then I was told by the store I bought them from that they are bipoles not dipoles and you are meant to have 1 of the tweeters firing at you and the other firing away from you and reflecting, he then said that they are best placed on the rear wall about 8 feet apart (the rear wall is 13 feet wide) I did this and this is when the rear soundstage really opened up and the width of sound was incredible. Now trying them on the side wall with 1 tweeter firing at us, they are kind of in a monopole placement position in a standard 5.1 layout. I think they sound even better there but not sure, the matrix scene where neo is shot at the bullet seems to have a smoother transition from front left speaker and travels all the way along the side wall to the rear, I would assume that that is exactly how it is supposed to be heard?

Regards
Marty
post #57 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
If you're losing detail by moving to farther away from the wall, the surrounds are not likely in the right place - or you're expecting to hear too much from them.

Bryan
I am curious to know what are we actually supposed to be hearing from surrounds, I can hear when loud things happen like things flying around or bullets whizzing past but for 95% of a film I cant hear anything, if you walk up to a surround speaker there is always sounds coming through them for the whole film, surely if there is sound details coming from them you are supposed to hear them otherwise why bother putting any info on rear channels other than fly pasts?

Quote:

Bryan
http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/66...-speakers.html
This is why I placed my speakers where they are now and for the major sound effects they sound best in the rear wall position in my room, the side wall was too localised. Notice that for bipoles you are not in the null.

Kind Regards
Marty
post #58 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 12:31 PM
Inactive
Ty

Youre hearing exactly what you should from the surrounds, only occasional sound effects. Some movies and sources are better at utilizing the surrounds than others. So much so that movie reviews often mention how active the surrounds were throughout the movie...
post #59 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Youre hearing exactly what you should from the surrounds, only occasional sound effects. Some movies and sources are better at utilizing the surrounds than others. So much so that movie reviews often mention how active the surrounds were throughout the movie...
What is the point of the sound effects coming from the surrounds then? I am reffering to the jungle noises or the people mumbling or rain pouring etc. etc.

I would have thought they mixed those sounds there to make you feel like you are in the movie?
post #60 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 01:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

For exactly what it says the are - surround effects. Mostly, it just adds a sense of envelopment and being IN the movie instead of outside of it. There are some effects that should be heard loud and clear but many are just ambient type of things.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions