When is room treatment needed - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: When is room treatment needed

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
For exactly what it says the are - surround effects. Mostly, it just adds a sense of envelopment and being IN the movie instead of outside of it. There are some effects that should be heard loud and clear but many are just ambient type of things.

Bryan
I am not sure I am even hearing the ambience, I suppose I could try unplugging front speakers and listen to what I am actually hearing but I watched harry potter & the P.O.A. and didn't notice any rear ambience, I know you are not supposed to be distracted but since I am going all out to try and perfect the sound as best as I can I was actually listening to hear what was going on and there was nothing. If I turned my head sideways I can suddenly hear the sound but when I stare straight at the screen nadda! Unless it is a flyover sound effect.

Kind Regards
Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 03:11 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Try the opposite and play a scene. Then replay with the rears disconnected.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #63 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

:
Quote:
Try the opposite and play a scene. Then replay with the rears disconnected.

Bryan
That's an interesting one I will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks Bryan

post #64 of 189 Old 01-10-11, 04:30 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
marty1 wrote: View Post
I am not sure I am even hearing the ambience, I suppose I could try unplugging front speakers and listen to what I am actually hearing but I watched harry potter & the P.O.A. and didn't notice any rear ambience, I know you are not supposed to be distracted but since I am going all out to try and perfect the sound as best as I can I was actually listening to hear what was going on and there was nothing. If I turned my head sideways I can suddenly hear the sound but when I stare straight at the screen nadda! Unless it is a flyover sound effect.

Kind Regards
Marty
Try processing with all channel stereo via your receiver, that will send the entire soundtrack to all speakers. If you are noticing a loss of rear performance while processing in a surround mode (like truehd dtsmaster dolby digi ect) then its the mastering of your source and not your setup. Speaker level calibration software within your receiver will send white noise to each channel also.
post #65 of 189 Old 01-15-11, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Try processing with all channel stereo via your receiver, that will send the entire soundtrack to all speakers. If you are noticing a loss of rear performance while processing in a surround mode (like truehd dtsmaster dolby digi ect) then its the mastering of your source and not your setup. Speaker level calibration software within your receiver will send white noise to each channel also.
My speakers are all calibrated to 75db from my listening position, I tried all channel stereo and sounds good all round so it is probably the source as you said.

I tried unplugging all speakers and sub except the surrounds in the flying tank scene in the A-Team, there were surrounds effects galore that I could clearly hear every detail of, then I tried all 5 speakers on and I was unable to hear most of the effects that I heard from surrounds alone?

I then tried what Bryan suggested and just turn the 3 fronts on and I could hardly tell any difference between the surrounds being on or off.

I have only tried this with the A-Team bluray and nothing else so far but what is going on?

Regards
Marty
post #66 of 189 Old 01-15-11, 07:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

C'mon guys "Stanley Tools" developed the Utility Knife/razor knife/retractable knife ect. we've always called them utility knives here in Maine. But , the "Skill Saw" that was a tough thing for me to start calling a circular saw/power saw. But Skill Tools did first come out with a circular saw so naturally one would call this a skill saw. Right?

In any case, Bryan I hate to distract you from the great job you are doing with Marty1 (I have some idea now) and it is probably bad form too. I am just curious (well more than curious). I am reading Stereophile January 2011 and a couple of the columnists have gone souh to visit the Univ of the South in Tenn. where they have gone to examine, critically evaluate a "Million Dollar Stereo System". The entrance to the lisening room even has a sound lock vestibule entrance where like an air lock you enter the vestibule, close the door behind you and then open the door to the listening area. They describe some pretty exotic sheetrocking practices and shelving alignments and other very sophisticated room considerations. They are using a single pair of Wilson's newer Grand Slam speakers..., I forgot the name of this model but they are huge Wilson Audio speakers.
But when I look around what I see for noise Tx are 3' x 6' panel directly behind the speaker and a 2'x2' on the ceiling which which lies beginning just off mid-line of the Wilson's and the area toward center-line of the room and just forward of the speakers. The shelving lining both L/R walls are angled so that any sound reflection trapped by the shelving and dissipates. I don't know about the back wall there were no pic's I guess this is where the special sheet-rock was used. But after reading what you suggest and sounds perfect to me. I just wonder how the library gets by with so little damping around the speakers themselves.

Gregr
post #67 of 189 Old 01-16-11, 08:54 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

IMO, the room is undertreated. There have been a lot of things done to maximize the 'starting point' which is always a good thing.

How they get by with it is that most people don't know any better quite honestly.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #68 of 189 Old 01-16-11, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
marty1 wrote: View Post
My speakers are all calibrated to 75db from my listening position, I tried all channel stereo and sounds good all round so it is probably the source as you said.

I tried unplugging all speakers and sub except the surrounds in the flying tank scene in the A-Team, there were surrounds effects galore that I could clearly hear every detail of, then I tried all 5 speakers on and I was unable to hear most of the effects that I heard from surrounds alone?

I then tried what Bryan suggested and just turn the 3 fronts on and I could hardly tell any difference between the surrounds being on or off.

I have only tried this with the A-Team bluray and nothing else so far but what is going on?
Anyone got any suggestions at all?
post #69 of 189 Old 01-16-11, 12:35 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

I would try that experiment with a different movie - one that has more ambient effects like being in a jungle, water dripping in a cave, etc. If the level is just too low for your preference, then there's nothing wrong with adjusting it up a bit to suit your taste.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #70 of 189 Old 01-16-11, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I would try that experiment with a different movie - one that has more ambient effects like being in a jungle, water dripping in a cave, etc. If the level is just too low for your preference, then there's nothing wrong with adjusting it up a bit to suit your taste.

Bryan
I am looking at the placement again, with the left surround bipole, the tweeter firing towards me is firing at the back of my head, I wonder if that is affecting the sound?

When I experimented with placement I used material with loud surround effects to decide the final position, I found that on the side wall when the helicopter at the start of cliffhanger flies from the left surround and goes around the room, just before the picture first comes on, I could tell exactly where the leftspeaker was. This is why I chose rear placement instead but should I have tried watching a whole film with them on the sides before giving up?

Maybe the ambient sounds would have sounded better from that position?

Regards
Marty